Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Tubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Tubs
    Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 2:44am
The tub on my project (39615) was butchered in a previous life. I am strongly considering a replacement tub. What experiences have people had with these replacement tubs? Thanks - Tom
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 2:55am
Search on MD Jaun  .  Most have had to do an extraordinary amount of cutting and welding to use the repro tubs.  There is one vendor, I am told, who makes the extra effort to rework the repro tubs so you have to do less.  Search as I suggested and you will learn a lot.  Hopefully, others will speak up.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 2:57am
I was going to recommend searching around too. PLENTY of material to look through. I think Sam summed it up the best. They require a lot of work to make them right.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 3:00am
I've heard even the replitubs need a lot of work.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 3:00am
This thread says it all:   MD Juan Body Faults
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 4:05am
Willys Overland produces the "replitub" which is their reworked MD Juan tub. They do a fairly good job of it. Mine fit pretty good. The things missing would be top bow brackets , wheel well pockets , gas tank bracket, no PTO hole and plate, no trailer plug hole and plate, no "Jeep" on tool box face and the tub is of the 3A variety which makes your 2A seat frames too short for them to rest on the wheel well-----you will have to fab something to support the frame. You are better off buying their complete "Willys" script body kit since the MD Juan parts have trouble fitting well with original parts.
If you are sheet metal challenged like I am-----but I'm learning-----this is a nice option because you now have a straight body and fewer headaches....As the years have gone by I am more inclined to "challenge" myself to find original parts. I like the idea of resurrecting the old parts. Either way works but you have to know your limitations, budget and headache tolerance. Enjoy!Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 4:06am
I know that each situation will be different after all of the years of rusting and good and bad mod's that our Willys have been through and I can only speak from my own experiences, so that being said here is what happened to me.  I did like you and tried to make a good decision on a new tub as I knew I didn't have the skills or tools to repair what I had.  I guess I lucked out because I bought a replitub from Willys Overland and it was perfect.  Every mounting hole in the tub had a hole under neath it and the steering column and hole for the brake and clutch pedals ended up dead centered.  I may have saved some money going with a different supplier but after having the new tub on and bolted down in two hours, by myself, I was like the Duck Dynasty guys - Happy Happy Happy. 
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 3:38pm
I appreciate all of the information. I am going to call W/O this week and visit with them regarding the tubs and what all they do and if they have corrected some of the issues mentioned here. I will also take a hard look at my tub and determine a course of action. Hillbilly, sounds like you have had good luck with the tubs from W/O. That is good to hear. Tom
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 3:46pm
my original windshield frame did not fit my re-pop tub.If  I did it again I would have gotten the complete.package from W/O
jamesholden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesholden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 4:49pm
for the cost, you are better off hunting a original. repos suck plus the steel is s@##

james
R Qualls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Qualls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2013 at 5:20pm
I agree with James
1946 cj-2A x2, 1951 M38
1954 cj-3B converted to a MB
1955 m38a1 * NRA LIFE MEMBER *
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 1:46am
i have a complete repro tub from willyoverland. it work great.Thumbs UpThumbs Up beside if you cover one eye and close the other it look like a jeep. the average person does know the defferant. it is mine and i stick with that story.LOL
dennis Beer
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 1:58am
Where are you located Tom?
I know of a good tub in the south.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 2:03am
I am in Southwest Indiana. Just North of Evansville off I64. I would certainly be interested in a good tub and am up for a road trip... Tom
hickory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hickory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 3:36am
Hmmm your right in my backyard. I'm just East of Princeton.
Gotta get my brakes working and my clutch.
Hickory
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 1:03pm
I always wondered if they were really 3a or 2a tubs they sell.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 1:16pm
Another consideration would be to buy a Jeep with a good easily fixable tub instead. You get to keep all the extra parts or sell them off. Better and cheaper in the long run to me. A replitub Jeep is also not worth what a original is in my book.  I don't care for the quality and fit of MD Juan. Your decision though. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 1:57pm
I have bought two tubs, one a complete kit and the other tub only. One was from Willys- Overland and they did all the holes and had to do some work on the transmission opening. When I mounted the tub it fit great. I was like some of the others I didn't have the tools to do the work. The second tub I got the whole kit , it was on sale with free shipping so for the same money as the tub only from one dealer I got the whole kit from the other. I had a friend help me that had experience with body work and we drilled holes and made some changes on the transmission opening. Both jeeps came out good as far as I was concerned. Their are some things that aren't on the repro tubs ,like the side pockets , but if you could weld they could be added from the old tub. Anyway I had good luck with both tub kits.

Pat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>