Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Tubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 3:10pm
I bought a Repli-tub and all the other sheet metal parts from W.O. Everything seemed to fit good. The only problem I had is I rushed them as I was passing through on Business, and only gave them a couple of days to make mods. They missed a couple small ones,which we took care of after we found them. Please remember these Tubs and parts are built in the Philippines with the use of Ball Peen hammers in the hands of 13 Yr olds. I'm speculating here. Be ready for some Body filler and Grinding . I passed that part off to my Body Man. All in All I'm very Happy with the way it turned out. In my mind it's worth having the guys at W.O . make the Mods. Sandusky
TWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 3:38pm
Alot of great feedback here. It is good to hear about the good, bad, and ugly. Thanks again for all of the input. Tom
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

Please remember these tubs and parts are built in the Philippines with the use of Ball Peen hammers in the hands of 13 Yr olds.

Now there's a quote to remember. LOLWink

Actually for hand built stuff it isn't that awful bad. People assume MD Juan builds tubs with huge Detroit style presses, etc, and it simply isn't so.THey aren't that sophisticated from what I hear.  I still want to know how on earth they make the floor pans with the tranny humps.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

. . . .  I still want to know how on earth they make the floor pans with the tranny humps.
You can try and PM this member if you really want to get a solid answer : mdjuan

Based on his email address, I would say he is the real deal, but he has not been here in ages.

Edit:   Here is their web site About page:  http://www.mdjuan.com/about.

An interesting assertion there is this:  "MD Juan Enterprises is the pioneer in machine-pressed metal parts for both military and civilian jeeps in the Philippines [emphasis added]"

Perhaps more important is that on the Contact Us page, there are a couple of email addresses for company officials as well as a customer satisfaction survey that those who have purchased parts from them should fill out honestly to give them the feedback they need to improve the fit and finish of what they make.  Whether or not they will is an entirely different matter if, in fact, they are stamping the parts and have dies made for the purpose.

Edited by samcj2a - 28 Jan. 2013 at 4:58pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:04pm
I wish Bill Eldred was still around. He actually visited the factory and was in regular communication with the owners. He could tell us exactly how stuff is built. Unfortunately for us  he is exploring jeep trails up in heaven nowadays.

Interesting that they talk about machine pressing.. Maybe they do have a small press of sorts. I highly doubt they would have the detroit syle presses we have seen in Youtube videos of the old time Detroit plants. Those were multi story monsters.

Reading thru this old post from 2006 or so, he mentioned they used handmade dies for pressing the parts. http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=363465 So there was some sort of pressing operation in use. But what? The only parts that cannot be easily fabbed without a press on a jeep tub are floor parts and the cowl top. Unfortunately those two parts are also well known problem areas in the repro tubs. The curve of the cowl has been incorrect and caused windshield fitment problems, and the floor /transmission fit is also a normal trouble spot.

Luckily for guys who are talented enough to rebuild a stock tub from scratch, cowls do not seem to dissolve to the tin termites... but floors are pretty tough to find in any shape, so we are stuck with trying to graft tranny humps to the replacement floor pans from places like Classic.

I can say that all the problems people mentioned back in 2006 for the military tubs have been somewhat addressed. There was even one guy who couldn't even assemble his tub to his fenders and he ended up scrapping his new tub...Nowadays the problems are a whole lot more minor than that sort of thing.

I have a repop tub in the yard from the 70's... It has the removeable M 38 style floor plates, and other weird features. I have a feeling when I get around to building up a jeep using that tub I will find a lot of the old problem areas. The quality of the steel is very questionable and it has severe floor rot even tho it has lived in Texas all its life. The metal is thin, I would guess 20 gage.

Enlough rambling for now..lol

Edited by F Bill - 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:28pm

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:26pm
Hey Guys,  Don't get me wrong I'm Much Happier with my Repop. body than I would of been restoring my orig. It turned out very nice. I'm just envious of the workmanship that comes out of a shop that probably doesn't have alot of stamping dies and presses  to move metal in stages to produce these parts. If not done in stages I believe you get some buckling and distortion. All the  type of thing that can be overcome by a good Body Man. I have always believed in running a business as close to the bone as possible. (if you'd been in my shop you'd understand)  I wish these parts were being built here in the U.S.A. !!!   Sandusky
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:29pm
Sandusky I beleive someday we will see even more USA made jeep parts. But....they won't come at MD Juan pricing, either. A guys gotta eat ya know.

willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:29pm
I bought my complete kit from jc whitney in the early 90's.   It a mutt tub with mb, m38 and 2a features.   It was not perfect but am happy with it.   Drilled my own holes and robbed things from the old tub.   Would have been harder without the old tub around. At that time I think the complete kit was bout $1,400 and I got the free shipping.

Bonus was I made a free standing closet for the wife out the mahogany wood it came shipped in.  We call it the jeep closet.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:37pm
I HAVE BOUGHT NUMEROUS REPO TUBS...BEST ONE I FOUND WAS WILLYS OVERLAND IN TOLEDO OHIO...WELL WORTH THE X-TRA $$$

VERY HAPPY WITH JAY  THERE.  ClapClapClapClap
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

.......... out the mahogany wood it came shipped in. 

ShockedShocked  whaaaaaaaaaat? WOW!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:53pm
It was not the best wood and the closet was not fancy, basically a box, but we have a jeep closet.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 5:59pm
Here is video of MD Juan there main market is MB tubs.  I have used their 2a tubs and 3a tubs never had a issue but does take some work.  The most common alignment for replacement tubs is the rear end clips as they are already drilled and you go from their.    

Willys Overland is unique as they use a Jig to drill all the holes.  They bolt the jig to the back of the for rear clips on the tub..  The sleeves are installed to match their jig even if it does not match up with hat channel  
If your frame is bend or warped a good chance those predrilled holes will not match up.
I have never see a perfect cherry frame. 
Here is the  link to a you tube video of md juan.    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlILVINpOkk
mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 6:00pm
Check out low's  pages on rebuilding his tub.  He has done a great job  and used american made pnl's  from classic enterprises. Thats the only way to do it if you want a true cj2a by deminsions . (rear wheel housings etc..) all the repos are based on a 3a  which works  if you don't have the equip  to do any welding  and fabwork .  I came close to ordering  from willys overland  but decided to Keep my 2a  a 2a  because my grandfather bought it new in 48. You can get every thing from Classic   for $2700.00 (ballpark$)  if you have good cowl and good fenders hood and grill'
mogger7
mogger7
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by mogger7 mogger7 wrote:

Check out low's  pages on rebuilding his tub.  He has done a great job  and used american made pnl's  from classic enterprises. Thats the only way to do it if you want a true cj2a by deminsions . (rear wheel housings etc..) all the repos are based on a 3a  which works  if you don't have the equip  to do any welding  and fabwork .  I came close to ordering  from willys overland  but decided to Keep my 2a  a 2a  because my grandfather bought it new in 48. You can get every thing from Classic   for $2700.00 (ballpark$)  if you have good cowl and good fenders hood and grill'
mogger7

That was the route I took also. Everything I ordered from Classic Enterprises was quality.
I'm very happy with the way my body tub turned out!
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 6:47pm
I can't really comment on current MD Juan production, but 5-6 years ago I got involved in a deal to buy several tubs .  when they arrived there were small kids footprints in the primer. (2-3 inches long).

I bought a CJ5 fender that didn't look at all like in was hammer formed gradually with a ball pein. It looked like it was formed with a log and 2 rocks.

I wouldn't buy a tub I have not seen yet.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 7:17pm
WOW!!!!!!
harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by mogger7 mogger7 wrote:

mogger7

I have to agree with your there but some  do not have the welding skills or the ability to make a jig.   To hire it done which is a possibility would be very expensive and equal to the tub material. My opinion.      
I am a  fan of Classic Enterprises as well but no two wheel wells grooves are exact.  They do not even match the original 2a which is a short and long.  Then again it is a replacement part.  So how original is original?   
The most important thing is to drive and enjoy your Jeep.Smile

Edited by harvey45 - 28 Jan. 2013 at 8:19pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2013 at 8:22pm
Yes, but if they made 2A and 3A tubs as well as their MB tubs we would all be happy Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>