Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

replacemet Radiators ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacemet Radiators ?
    Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 2:16am
for a '47 2a.

can anyone here make suggestions on what / where to buy a new radiator?

and/or,  what / where / who to stay away from ?
Cheers
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 3:04am
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 4:15am
Replacement are $400.00 plus, Mustang run about $140.00
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 4:49am
I just had a new core put in mine. As long as the tanks are ok it’s an option. Less $$ than new
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 12:57pm
I'm happy with my 3-row aluminum from ebay...

Lots of discussion on this site about them, just got to dig a little Wink

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2018 at 2:12pm
Just FYI. If you decide to go with the Omix-ADA that most of the vendors sell as their import version for around $350, you can get the same one from Summit Racing for  around $100 less. I haven't tried one, but I might. My 70 year old radiator doesn't seem to be doing the job and I'm really hesitant to drop a $500 bill for the one I really want.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2018 at 3:23am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I'm really hesitant to drop a $500 bill for the one I really want.

Just out of curiosity Stan, which one do you want? 

I got an aluminum radiator off ebay 4-1/2 years ago for $218 to my door.  It's a Champion brand; it's pretty nice and works well but doesn't have a shroud.  Also, the mounting studs are aluminum and a bit too close together by 1/4".  Or are they 1/4" too far apart?  I can't recall  now, but I emailed them about it and that might have been corrected by now.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 03 Nov. 2018 at 3:25am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2018 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I'm really hesitant to drop a $500 bill for the one I really want.

Just out of curiosity Stan, which one do you want? 

I thought about aluminum, but I don’t really like the shiny look, and especially the no shroud look. I know you can, and maybe should paint aluminum but still don’t like it. Also Jpet almost had his Easter Jeep Safari ruined when a rock or something jumped up and hit Bam Bam’s aluminum radiator while it was on the trailer on the way to Moab, punching a hole in it. Some fancy plastic soldering saved the day, but I’m less skilled and would feel vulnerable.
The one I would like to get is the Walcks copper and steel repop, but I can’t  stand the price. I’d link to it but it looks like their website is down now.
We’ll  see if I come up with something else before it gets summer hot again. If not, I’ll probably test out the Omix ADA one.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2018 at 10:05pm
I can tell you what not to buy, I read on the Early CJ5 page that this Mustang radiator fits...it wont fit...not even close...

Some guys can make these work...I just cant figure out how they do it...

Good luck on whichever way you pick to go...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2018 at 12:30am
I went Champion Aluminum I'm happy with what I see though no run time yet.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2018 at 2:08am
Mike,

it may have been my post you saw on ECJ5. I don't believe I said it was a bolt in, but the mods to make it fit are very simple. I am not a fabricator by any means, but if you are still willing to try, I can probably get you pictures and a narrative how to make it work.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2018 at 4:34pm
Thanks for all the suggestions guys,
I think I'd rather stay with a direct bolt-in steel  w/shroud model.
 The "shiney " thing doesn't really appeal to me either, and I think for a jeep, its better to have a little more resistance to flying rocks.

I've got to get one ordered today. My boss is out of town for 2 weeks, and I need to have some visible progress done on this thing by the time he returns.
Cheers
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2018 at 6:28pm
I've had the walck's radiator for about two years, its a really nice unit,it fits and looks like the original. I looked into getting my old one recored but it was going to be just a little less than the new one. The only thing I didn't like was the shroud wasn't drilled for the shroud extension, drilling those made me a little nervous.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
CJ2A-NOOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-NOOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2018 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by CJ2A-NOOB CJ2A-NOOB wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,
I think I'd rather stay with a direct bolt-in steel  w/shroud model.
 The "shiney " thing doesn't really appeal to me either, and I think for a jeep, its better to have a little more resistance to flying rocks.

I've got to get one ordered today. My boss is out of town for 2 weeks, and I need to have some visible progress done on this thing by the time he returns.

Dang it,
Now I'm seeing Aluminum 3 row Radiators on Ebay for around $130, ... (and a few with Electric Fans included), for around $150 - -$160.

Does anyone here have any experience with these ?

Cheers
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2018 at 10:34pm
I bought the one in your 1st link. For the money you cant beat it. To use the stock shroud off my orig 3A rad I had to cut the radiused bottom nozzle off and replace it w/straight. The 3A is in project stage still and while I have run it up to temp with no problems while on blocks it has no trail miles on it. I have pics if you want.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2018 at 7:19pm
I just noticed that Summit Racing has a thing going wit Omix ADA for. 5% rebate on purchases until the end of the year so if you go that direction be sure and put in for the rebate.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2018 at 7:36pm
  Most of you may be aware of my feelings for Omix-ADA and those who sell their crap stuff. I've had more than enough bad experiences with their products, one in particular that occurred on Tincup pass.
  But I'd like to think that they are taking steps to remedy their problems (probably only wishful thinking). In view of this, if someone buys one of their radiators I would appreciate a full report on it here, and I wish you good luck.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2018 at 2:34am
Bruce, you've shown admirable restraint while expressing your opinion of Omix' products.  I hope they're working on their issues, too.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>