Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing bed idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing bed idea
    Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 6:17pm
My bed, like most was rusted through in a number of places and of course wavy. At some point someone added a flat steel floor over the top of the existing wavy, hole filled factory. It was made with a 1.5-2 inch lip and was actually just set inside and the bolted to the side walls every 3 inches or so and finally caulked the top edge in an effort to prevent moisture getting between the original floor and this new flat piece. That piece is clearly strong enough as it had no dents, waves, etc and I found evidence it was used to haul gravel, including converting the tail gate to a dump style with the bottom opening like a dump truck.

Now, I would like to preserve the look of the original with one of those MDJuan replacement beds, but don't want to end up with inevitible waves. I know I could add more support underneath to the frame,but I can see still getting depressions due to the thin MDJuan metal. My thought was to cut out the old bed and weld in the flat piece that the PO used. Then weld on top of it the MDJuan bed. Good strength and look of original. However, I'm concerned about trapping moisture between the two. I know I could always paint before putting together, but the welding will burn off paint in places, thus leaving some vulnerable spots. Give me your input on the idea as well as suggestions for sealing the inner part of sandwich.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 7:33pm
You could just use a piece of 1/2" plywood placed on the bottom of your trailer when using it to prevent damage, that I my intensions when I finish mine.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 5:13am
Interesting idea to use thicker steel under thin bed.   Unfortunately,  I have no ideas on how to "seal" between the layers.

Similar to WeeWilly,  I chose to put something on top of the bed, when loading damaging materials. . . . My choice though, was a rubber mat from local farm supply.  (I think designed for horse stalls, etc).   It is 1/2" thick or more, and works great. . .  Pull it out when you want to see the floor. :-)
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 12:19pm
I saved a truck bed mat that I kept when I sold my Ford ranger pickup a couple of years ago. I cut it down to fit nicely in the bed of my Spen.
1948 CJ2A
1963 CJ3B
Late 1940s(?) Spen trailer
Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 12:39pm
The bed area is such a small area...Unless the MD Juan is paper thin...using square stock to re enforce the frame underneath should work well...and not trap too much water
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2017 at 3:46pm
I got a reply from them saying they use 18 ga.
 Post Reply Post Reply