Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing distributor bushings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing distributor bushings.
    Posted: 21 May 2023 at 12:13pm
I am helping my friend Adam rebuild his L134.

We are working our way through the service manual and the videos posted by Lew Ladwig. So far so good.

The block is back from the machine shop. They pressed out the old bushings for the distributor shaft. The bushings that Adam got to replace them clearly have the wrong OD because when we went to press them in to the block they just free fall through and fall out the other side of the hole. The ID appears correct when we test fitted the bushing to the distributor shaft.

Does anyone have an ID on the hole in the block so I can order the proper bushings to press in there. I don't have a tool to measure that.

Or any tips or advice are welcome.

Thanks

Jon

15 Field RCA
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 1:08pm
My guess is that at some previous overhaul, the bore for that bushing got damaged. This is fairly common. Their fix for that was to hone the bore out until the damage was removed & then they made a custom bushing with a larger outside diameter, (OD), but with the stock inside diameter, (ID). This is a fairly common fix to that issue.

Do you still have the bushing you pressed out? If you do, that will give you your oversized OD. Make the new OD slightly larger then the old OD as the bushing usually stays slightly smaller after it has been installed in the press fit installation.  Say 0.0003" larger.

BTW, This kind of thing is why I always save everything, including the old gaskets, in a box until the engine is installed on the rig & running well. Throwing all that old crap out is one of the last things I do with an overhaul. It is part of the final cleanup. I toss the stuff after the customer has a chance to look at it all. This way they can see what all I replaced. It make them more comfortable with my work & it only costs me a little space for a short time. It is a win/win. Most customers do not want to look at that box of crap, but I have one repeat customer who takes the whole box of crap & checks it against my invoice. He is hard to please & I am one of two people he comes back to for work on his rigs.
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 1:17pm
Ok, that's good advice.

Yes I also hang on to everything for the same reason.

We have the old bushing but it's a spiral (never seen that before) so not really something we can accurately measure.

I'll have to find a way to measure the bore and order a custom bushing I guess. McMaster Carr has every size imaginable.

Is there a reference for the distributor bushings somewhere? I can't find it in the manual? Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

More research required.

Edited by 92889 - 21 May 2023 at 1:19pm
15 Field RCA
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 2:52pm
  Bushing in the block?  There is no distributor bushing in the block. There are two bushings in the distributor housing, but none in the block. Check your Service Manual and your Parts List. Neither will show any bushing in the distributor bore of the block. 
  How about a picture of this bushing(s)?
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 21 May 2023 at 2:55pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Bushing in the block?  There is no distributor bushing in the block. There are two bushings in the distributor housing, but none in the block. Check your Service Manual and your Parts List. Neither will show any bushing in the distributor bore of the block. 
  How about a picture of this bushing(s)?
BW 

X2 on that ☝️

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 7:32pm
Standby for photo.

But that would make life easier.
15 Field RCA
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 7:47pm
I found the answer in electrical. I see the bushings in the distributor diagram.
I was looking in the engine section of the manual.

Rookie mistake.

Thanks for the clarification.
15 Field RCA
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 10:02pm
I recently had the same issue repairing a distributor with a broken housing. Used a salvage Chinese housing. The bushing bore was an odd size so purchased Mcmaster bushings with larger O.D. and bored housing for bushing press fit. Reamed bushing bores for shaft fit. Have to have a way to measure accurately. Side note- had to bore the breaker plate seat area inside the housing also.
 Post Reply Post Reply