Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repro tool compartments.....? ***UPDATE***

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repro tool compartments.....? ***UPDATE***
    Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 2:08pm
Good morning everyone.

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing a repro tool compartment?
I assume they are made by MD Juan and my concern is how they fit original tubs.

Mine is a basket case and after sittng and studying and trying to figure out how to go about fixing it.... well, I have decided for the aggravation and time VS the money for a new one I think I want a new one.
They come with the "Jeep" logo on the front and a lit attached.

Any comments?......Ideas?

Confused

Edited by Longhunter - 07 Jan. 2011 at 1:42pm
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 2:14pm
I used Classic Enterprises panels to rebuild mine. I was able to save the original lid.

Good luck!
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by buckshot buckshot wrote:

I used Classic Enterprises panels to rebuild mine. I was able to save the original lid.

Good luck!

If I could get the top of the tool compartment I would give it a go with a rebuild but my top is BADLY pitted and rusted. I have been struggling with how to repair the top but I am coming up with a blank. If you get a top (if it were available) and the 2 sides that Classic has then you have the whole box.

I have a couple of donor Jeeps but those tool compartments are just as bad.
Jeeps in Mississipi have had a hard life as a rule.

Confused
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

JIMO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 5:27pm
Longhunter,

I purchased the tool box for my resto from Walcks.  If you don't expect it to fit right in, then you will be somewhat happy with it. In other words be ready to modify it a bit.  I guess the most major mod to it, for me was along the side...it did not fit square, so I flattened the lip and the re-bent it.  And in fitting the seat and pivots (before I got crazy with the welder) I found the only way to get the seat to work and lay against the wheelhouse, was to space the pivots forward 3/16.  (Not too hoaky..I made some spacers with the same profile as the pivots).  In all, still better than dealing with the rusty one!
But keep in mind....my tub went under extreme reconstructive surgery and I think the side had pulled in at some point thus affecting the fit.
Hope that helps
1946 CJ-2A
1996 F-150
2000 XJ
MITY KAT CRAWLER

"I love it when a plan comes together"
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 7:19pm
Call Walcks and see if he has a used top.  Usually it is the floor under the box (the tool box has no bottom) and the front panel where it hits the floor that rusts out.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
mix4coal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mix4coal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 11:05pm
Try calling Willy overland. They say they bought out Jeep Acres in IND. They may be able to get you a used original. PH#1-888-265-JEEP
'47 CJ2A # 104985
Bantam Trailer
1953 Dodge M37
1948 1 1/2-2 1/2HP IHC LB
1929 1 1/2 HP SATTLEY HIT MISS

Carpe Diem!!
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 12:04am
I gave up and decided to install a passenger side fuel tank at some later date and left out the box.  I used M38 seats and modified a drivers seat to fit the passenger side and fit over future extra tank.....and some day I want to put MB/GPW type tool/storage boxes in the rear fender wells. 
....uuuhh, I am not building to any OEM specs, this one will be my driver, a MB-GPW-CJ2A/3A-M38Confused

I checked with Walcks a couple of months back and he did not have.  The MD Juan suppliers have to place a separate order and wait on the Conex, unless???
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by JIMO JIMO wrote:

Longhunter,

I purchased the tool box for my resto from Walcks.  If you don't expect it to fit right in, then you will be somewhat happy with it. In other words be ready to modify it a bit.  I guess the most major mod to it, for me was along the side...it did not fit square, so I flattened the lip and the re-bent it.  And in fitting the seat and pivots (before I got crazy with the welder) I found the only way to get the seat to work and lay against the wheelhouse, was to space the pivots forward 3/16.  (Not too hoaky..I made some spacers with the same profile as the pivots).  In all, still better than dealing with the rusty one!
But keep in mind....my tub went under extreme reconstructive surgery and I think the side had pulled in at some point thus affecting the fit.
Hope that helps

Sounds like the repro is going to be the way to go for me.
My original would be a pain to rebuild and just a few mods to the repro should give me a nice functional tool compartment.
Thanks for sharing your experience. That gives me a heads up to the repro tool compartment's problems.

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2011 at 1:48pm
OK, here is an update of my experience with a repro tool compartment.
This repro that I received is very poorly made, cheesy, cheap looking and doesn't even begin to fit properly. The front panel is about 1" short of getting to the tranny hump. The lid fits very poorly and the latch mechanism doesn't work. The construction of the lid isn't even close to an original and the opening is larger so I can not put my original lid on this repro compartment. I am in for MAJOR work to make it fit but I am commited now and will make it work.

Just a word of caution for anyone else considering buying one.

Ouch

Edited by Longhunter - 07 Jan. 2011 at 8:31pm
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2011 at 2:04pm
i received a new MDJuan toolbox yesterday from another page member, along with receiving a complete tub to try and rob the toolbox from, and you are correct, the repro is junk, the under channels are incorrect, and the lid lip on the box is wrong.....did i mention flimsy......

start looking for parts tubs :)

GL..
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2011 at 4:36pm

Maybe metalshaper Brian could help with some ideas. Are you here Brian? "HELP HELP"

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2011 at 8:21pm

And so we understand my previous comment...

the repro box was given to me, i did not have to pay for it.....

having said that, i care not to use the box on my restoration as a whole unit, i would have no problems cutting out the appropriate panels (front Jeep logo) and using the side panels...

but after sitting the box in my tub, it would take a lot to make the unit work..

now, it may be just fine if someone was after a toolbox replacement, and not concerned with asthetics...

:)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2011 at 9:42pm
Sounds like a new job/mold/jig for JeffWink
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
metalshaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalshaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2011 at 9:50pm
Just noticed this link, I am here to offer up some advice if anybody needs it .  When doing restoration projects for customers I always use the original toolbox and various parts of it.  A long time ago I gave up with overseas parts, md juan, and especially Omix-ada, who is ruining and american made jeep with all the garbage they sell.  There is no easy way to make a quality jeep restoration..... time and patience are needed in heavy doses to make things right.  I am here to help members or anyone else who needs panels, or various parts of their project worked on.  I have been rebuilding original tubs, and parts for years but the supplies of good core tubs, fenders, etc... is getting very low these days.

Brian
JIMO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 10:45pm
Longhunter,

I hope I did not steer you wrong!  I guess I ended up lucky or somethings in my tub ended up different and in my favor.  As for the top..I guess I never compared (probably cause there was not much left of mine).  I can post a pic of mine if you like.

Jim
1946 CJ-2A
1996 F-150
2000 XJ
MITY KAT CRAWLER

"I love it when a plan comes together"
 Post Reply Post Reply