Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reproduction CJ2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcm971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reproduction CJ2a
    Posted: 27 May 2023 at 2:59pm
Fun thought, recently Meyers Manx was bought out and they did a big campaign this year at the NORRA/ Mexican 1000 in Baja. I watched a few videos with the new team and their new electric variant. They mentioned possibly doing fully assembled vehicles in limited production runs, for original VW powered cars. 

This brings me to the idea of a company like KaiserWillys doing a limited production run of fully or partially assembled vehicles. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this idea and/or if it’s already a thing! 

-Dakota
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 3:34pm
dunno but you can get a repro original Bronco for the small sum of like $4-500,000.00.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by dmcm971 dmcm971 wrote:

This brings me to the idea of a company like KaiserWillys doing a limited production run of fully or partially assembled vehicles. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this idea and/or if it’s already a thing! 

-Dakota

You want an Omix-ADA manufactured vehicle?  Best of luck because you are REALLY going to need it.  May take the "prince of darkness" title away from Lucas---

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

Originally posted by dmcm971 dmcm971 wrote:

-Dakota

You want an Omix-ADA manufactured vehicle?  Best of luck because you are REALLY going to need it.  May take the "prince of darkness" title away from Lucas---

We could leave Lucas the "Prince of Darkness" title, & give Omix the "King of Darkness" title.

Rightfully though , Lucas should be crowned "King of Darkness" & Omix get the "Prince of Darkness" title, since Lucas has been at it longer. Plus Lucas has affected more makes of vehicles than Omix has, at least to date.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 5:27pm
there is no reason why with a little fudging a reproduction Flat Fender Willys couldn't be produced.. Not sure what the point would be. There are plenty of Originals laying around to fill demand.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 9:41am
I think Mahindra got spanked for this.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 10:38am
"a company like KaiserWillys doing a limited production run of fully or partially assembled vehicles"

Surely you don't think "KaiserWillys" produces vehicles. They are a parts dealer, and despite the name have no kinship I am aware of with either Kaiser or Willys Overland.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by sandusky sandusky wrote:

I think Mahindra got spanked for this.

Yep, they sure did. Their new side by side doesn’t look anything like their first run thanks to MOPAR lawsuits. 
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 12:29pm
thats for sure:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 3:18pm
theres a way around who ever currently owns the Jeep what ever.. sell a complete rolling chassis and a body kit.. for assemblyby the new owner.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
dmcm971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcm971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 8:57pm
Bight - yikes that’s a hefty sum!

duffer - ha, yeah I guess not if they’ve got a bad reputation. I just thought it was a fun idea.

Mark W - I hear you there, I suppose that’s why nobody’s done it. But the idea of selling rolling chassis and tubs as a kit would be great, especially for people who just want to order a jeep out of a catalog. And it would help with registration as a kit car in places like oregon where you can’t drive off-road vehicles like UTVs on the street. 

Sandusky - I’ve looked into those Mahindras, pretty neat but they’re closer to a cj7 in size aren’t they? Still, that’s the basic idea, they’re marketed as a side by side though. I might be alone here but the “revised” post-lawsuit design is still pretty sharp, I mean it’s still a small straight axle 4x4 with a removable top. Diesel and 5 speed is a welcome addition. I read about a man who drove his across country. Pretty neat. And if there’s a market for those, I’m sure people would buy essentially a repro cj2a, especially if they were under 15-20 thousand. 

Oldpappy - I’m aware, I used them as an example of a company that might have the most interest in doing something like this. And please, don’t call me surely. 

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 10:14pm
Okay Shirley then Big smile
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 10:48pm
 I’ve looked into those Mahindras, pretty neat but they’re closer to a cj7 in size aren’t they? ”

Yes. Wheelbase is longer and width is narrower but much closer to a CJ7 than anything else pre-Chrysler according to the specs I was looking at. I have a spare tub and was looking at the Roxor as a possible body swap. 

Edited by Jeff J - 28 May 2023 at 10:50pm
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:03am
https://www.icon4x4.com/reformer/pastprojects/19

Reproduction CJ-3B has been discontinued.
They do still advertise Broncos around $200k
dmcm971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcm971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Okay Shirley then Big smile

Ha! LOLLOL
dmcm971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcm971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Tom in RI Tom in RI wrote:

https://www.icon4x4.com/reformer/pastprojects/19

Reproduction CJ-3B has been discontinued.
They do still advertise Broncos around $200k

That’s pretty wild but if you’ve got the cash more power to you I suppose! There’s a company called Legacy out of Colorado I believe, and they put together some pretty awesome power wagon based trucks. 
dmcm971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmcm971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Jeff J Jeff J wrote:

I’ve looked into those Mahindras, pretty neat but they’re closer to a cj7 in size aren’t they? ”

Yes. Wheelbase is longer and width is narrower but much closer to a CJ7 than anything else pre-Chrysler according to the specs I was looking at. I have a spare tub and was looking at the Roxor as a possible body swap. 

That’s a great idea, registering it would be much easier with the jeep tub. They aren’t at an unobtainable price either. Setting a wagon or pickup body on one of those would be an easy way to get a diesel 5 speed package. And you could finance one! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply