Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoration Service Information Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggrunwald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoration Service Information Advice
    Posted: 27 Apr. 2019 at 7:57pm
Hello,
I am new to the forum so please excuse this question if it has been covered before.

I live in Medford Oregon and my father lives near Elburn, Il. on the west side of the greater Chicago area. He has a CJ2A with 6000k original miles rotting in his garage. Over the last few years I have been encouraging him to get the jeep at least running to drive it in his farm fields. Surprisingly he has finally agreed to getting it serviced.

So, the question is can anyone vouch for a good restoration garage. At this point I just need to get the mechanicals working so he can take it on the road to town. I think once he does this he might get the bug to do a more complete body restoration.

I would prefer to have it worked on somewhere in the Chicago area or Southern Wisconsin. Looking for a garage that exclusively does old jeep restoration and service.

Thanks for the advice

grunwald  
grunwald
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:50pm
Greg,
   Welcome to the forums !

How is Medford these days.   If you don't get any suggestions, I would do an online search for jeep shops in your father's area, and make a few calls for shops that pop-up. What I do is go into "Maps" on my I-phone, and type in jeep shops and the city to see what pops-up. And the phone number should show up on any shops that may pop-up.

The 2A's are pretty basic mechanically for a shop to work on, and parts are readily available.

Enjoy !
Teds Ride View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teds Ride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:42pm
I live in Merlin, just north of Grants Pass. I have a 1951 CJ3A & a 1948 CJ2A. Do you have a flat fender jeep also? It would be great to swap stories. Paul 
Tom Lach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Lach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:29pm
Grunwald,

You might check out Lou's Sales and Service in Geneva. They are an old time Jeep repair shop and is only about 10 miles from you. I have not had any work done there myself but I know some that had work done on their GPWs and  were satisfied with the work.

Hope it helps.

Tom
T3C - 21351
1942 Script GPW
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 3:07am
Had work done at Lou's a few years ago on an AMC era Jeep.  Did ok on a muffler, spring bushings etc.  Didn't diagnose frozen ball joints or a fried voltage regulator which stumped another shop as well.  
What kind of work does your Dad's Jeep need?
 Post Reply Post Reply