Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring 1946 CJ2A 62312

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:19pm
As another diversion from doing body work, I spent some time test fitting the Ross steering system and getting a basic front end alignment in place.  The jeep had been sitting for some time in the elements so event though the front linkage was new, there was some rust that started and required some soaking in WD-40 to get things moving again for adjustment.  I also installed the full, new muffler kit that came with the build. I have to credit KaiserWillys for the video on the muffler install - there were some good references to the placement of the muffler hangers and how to bend them properly.  I know there are better hangers, but these came with the project so I will see how well they last.  Lastly, I found that there were no fluids in the rear diff, transfer case, transmission, or front diff.  According to the receipts and previous owner, all of these systems were rebuilt in 2012 - I'm glad I trailered this home vs. flat towing...

Edited by dluber - 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:38pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 1:29pm
Back to working on the tub - early on I thought I would try and do something with the 5 layers of paint since the previous owner removed the paint on the fenders and a couple of small portions of the tub.  As I mentioned earlier, I tried a heat gun with some success but I also purchased a gallon of Airplane paint remover.  That seemed to work pretty well but still very time consuming.  I would say it took me about an hour per square foot to remove 5 coats of paint.  Here are a couple of photos on the first area I started.  You can also see the new tool box that was welded in which came with the project.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:03pm
Here are a couple of photos of removing the paint.  Not my favorite task...

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:04pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:11pm
Since I'm pretty much doing this project on my own, I had to figure out a way to test fit the tub on the frame, given the new welding of hat channels etc.  I did my measuring before and after, but I wanted to make sure I had a decent fit.  I decided to use my hoist in the ceiling of the garage that I normally use to remove my JK hard top.  The hoist has a limit of 450lbs and I think the tub is around 300 pounds.  Turns out the bracket I use for my JK top also fits well on the tub - two hooks on the wheel wells and one hook inside the dash speedometer whole.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:12pm
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:13pm
Using this method, I was able to lift the body using the electric hoist and then position the chassis under the body. 

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:16pm
From the other side, I was able to get the angle just right to bring the tub down over the steering column.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:18pm
Lastly, here is a photo of the body on the tub.  This technique worked well for me and the hoist is a great add to my garage.

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 2:41pm
I should have mentioned in the previous post that the tub lined up great.  I reversed the procedure and ordered the rubber body mount kit from Ron Fitzpatrick.  I found some good references on this site for the correct bolts and my local hardware store had just about everything I needed.  About a week later, I repeated this procedure and test fit with the rubber body mounts and bolts - everything went well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345