Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring cj2a 59108 into mb tribute WWII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Get those two pics printed up and post them in the Jeep side-by-side and you'll astound many people! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 12:08am
If I let my son have that the before and after would be reversed.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:28pm
[QUOTE=Oilleaker1] I like your tallent and do it yourself attitude. Good job!  For your info, the WW2 headlight pot hinges install under the top grill ledge, not on top.  The hinge rubs the heck out of the hood and your headlight will be a bit too high.

Thanks again Oilly when I check the hinges for the head lights they were worn where they had rub on the hood from the past . I change the hinges to the proper location and they look more centre.

Oilly thanks for the information Giles

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 4:07am
Uh-oh, Gil don't start the great headlight debate.  There is still much debate over on the G503 boards about this.  Apparently some have found (or believe) that the Fords did them on top and the Willys on the bottom - or the other way round. (IDK)  I went under b/c as you point out, the lights are a bit high when mounted on top. But really only by the thickness of the metal parts themselves.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 4:20am
When I had my hinges on top they hit the hood .But when I found the grill with the original light pot the hinges they were on top,the hinges were worn from hitting the hood on the previous jeep.

Giles
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 4:02am
I did about 100 miles with a vibration in the rear end.I drained the oil in the rearend and I removed the rear cover. I had replaced all the bearings when rebuilding the rearend. I checked the backlash and gear pattern with assembly lube,there was no filing in the oil ,everything look good,could not think of what to do next.Then I remembered before installing the tub I had greased all the fittings and the rear drive shaft at the rearend yoke I could not get grease to the grease nipple so I removed the shaft to put the u-joint in a different place and when I reinstalled the shaft I forgot to match the arrows on the shaft.That was the vibration in the rear.After removing and installing the shaft in the proper way the vibration is gone.What a difference with the Jeep. I made over 100 more miles with no problem.It's a blast to drive.    
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:48am

It's a blast to drive.    

'Nuff said! Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:14am
I took a picture of my jeep with the Lobster in Shediac N.B. yesterday.Everywhere I go the jeep is getting a lot of smiles and attention from adults to kids.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 8:50pm
What a transformation. Still amazed with what you started with, nice job and enjoy.
Phil
PAUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 7:06pm
Congratulations Gil on an AMAZING job.  HeartBeerHandshake
NE4W
NEA4WDC
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 9:50pm
Giles, Miss your weekly build updates, it looks great..............
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 12:41am
Awesome reclamation job, it's brag worthy.Thumbs Up

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 4:10pm
[QUOTE=Jerkzack]

Awesome Gil, you'll be out enjoying driving it in no time! Planning on taking it to Atlantic Nationals?                                                                                                                                 Yes Adam ,Just got it registered today for the Atlantic Nationals.

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 3:51am
Had one heck of a weekend at the Atlantic National Car Show.Meet some very cool people like Robert Maillet Canadian actor and retired World Wrestling Federation from 1997-1999 as Kurrgan,in movies like Sherlock Holmes,300,Brick Massions etc...
I also meet Steve Darnell,Justin Kramer and Barber Dave from "Vagas Rat Rods" Welder Up.

Also had lots of good feed back on my jeep,especially the before/after photos.There was close to 2000 vehicles from across Canada and US.On the last day of the show,one of the final prizes which was picked randomly between the participants was a trip to Scottsdale Az for the Barrett Jackson Auctions.Guess who won? Yeah! Me!Big smile  And it was on my bucket list.

P.S. Also made new friends with Jeeps.It was a really fun weekend.

Edited by Gil - 10 July 2017 at 3:54am
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 4:09am

On the last day of the show,one of the final prizes which was picked randomly between the participants was a trip to Scottsdale Az for the Barrett Jackson Auctions.Guess who won? Yeah! Me!Big smile  

Awesome!! You better save your pennies so you come home with a "souvenir!"
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 2:21am
Update,I just added a tow rope.I bought 30 feet of Manila rope at my local Home hardware for $40.00 Canadian. I made splice eye loops at each end with the help of my wife Mona and then I used Minwax classic oak for staining the rope to keep it looking fresh.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 2:47am
bumper rope looks great. 
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 3:49am
I had the jeep on the road on April 29/17 ,I have reached 1000 fun miles.

The jeep relaxing at the camp in the shade after a long day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>