Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock Auto brands and experiences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Auto brands and experiences
    Posted: 08 June 2018 at 11:37pm
I'm getting ready to do the Geo disc brake upgrade and started to order parts.  Traditionally I have trusted NAPA and ACDelco but in this day it seems like everything comes from China and the 'old trusted' brands are really being made in the same factory over there, most likely to the same standards (or lack there of) and pieces.  So after picking the calipers, rotors and pads with NAPA brand I went to RockAuto that I keep reading about, but don't recoginize any of the brands A1Cardone, Nugeon, Beck/Arnley or Centric.  Not that NAPA is necessarily a standard, but in comparing price, the RockAuto might save me almost $50 when cost, shipping, tax is all done. 

So for those who have bought from RockAuto, what has been your experience in terms of the quality parts?  Experiences with any of their brands?

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 12:30am
I buy a lot of parts through RockAuto cause not too many options nearby and I’m usually not in a hurry. They are usually pretty fast on shipping. I am also getting ready to do the Tracker disc brake conversion. I’d have to look again at what I picked, but they sell anything from super cheap parts to quality parts. Never had an issue.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 12:37am
My experience with Rock Auto has been good so far. I try to wait and use the discount code they give out when I order.

Bought everything I need to replace the cooling system (Radiator, hoses, thermostat, temp sender, thermostat and housing) on my girlfriends 2006 Liberty.

Starter, waterpump, gaskets, brake parts, etc, for my '74 Cherokee.

Like Spinnas said, not a bunch of options where I live in the PNW with auto part stores carrying what I need, at least for my fleet of vehicles.

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 1:20am
I've bought a lot of parts from Rock Auto and have been very pleased. They ship quickly. I got a radiator for my sister's car that had a flaw in it and they sent a replacement before I ever sent the bad one back. That's good customer service. Some of those names you don't recognize are OEM mfgs, the same companies that made the original parts for the assembly plants.

When I replaced the timing belt et al on the wife's Santa Fe I was able to build my own complete kit by picking and choosing the individual components I preferred rather than a pre-assembled kit that someone else spec'd. And as you already noted, you also save some bucks.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 1:39am
I bought almost all the parts to build up a set of 11" brake plates from RA. Shipping was prompt and the parts were fine.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 3:53am
Beck/Arnley was a good name for clutches at one time.  Might still be, but who knows these days?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 4:01am

I have bought a lot of parts from them over the years for my 71 Maverick and now for the 2A. Only had an issue with them once when I got some wheel cylinders that the manufacturer somehow managed not to thread the port for the brake line. They would not take them back. In their defense, I had them for months before I tried to install and I got them for cheap. No big loss.

For the Jeep, they had three foot sections of Gates radiator hose for a great price. Also had Gates fan belts.

I try to order as much as I can at one time to save on shipping. Watch out for items coming from different locations. Shipping can add up. Sometimes it is better to pay a little more for a similar part that ships with the rest of your order rather than a bunch of different locations.

I just got a discount code from them. Maybe it works for your order: 8502114766869688   If it doesn't, I have noticed that with an account and things sitting in your cart for a few days, sometimes they will send you a code.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 09 June 2018 at 4:16pm
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
EJs1950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJs1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:35am
I am also thinking about a disc brake conversion. Could you post a parts list? Also, what are you doing for the mounting bracket? I saw on an earlier post where somene had made the braket and has template.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 2:29pm
the parts list is listed be Stev on the first page, just scroll down some. 

Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by EJs1950 EJs1950 wrote:

I am also thinking about a disc brake conversion. Could you post a parts list? Also, what are you doing for the mounting bracket? I saw on an earlier post where somene had made the braket and has template.

I just ordered from RockAuto all the parts for the Suzuki disc brake conversion for my dad's 3A(gonna use his as the test dummy LOL).

I ordered:

(20) Dorman 610-034 wheel studs
(4) ACDelco 18A299A Rotors
(2) ACDelco 18R1 Loaded calipers with brackets
(2) ACDelco 18R2 Loaded calipers with brackets

Haven't ordered any brake line stuff or prop valve yet till I know the lengths needed as his Jeep is all 3/16 hardline with -3 hardware and all -3 flex lines and adapters.

Here's the brackets I had cut:

Edited by Spinnas - 16 June 2018 at 3:56am
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 10:47pm
Cardone and Dorman (available at O'reilly, Autozone, Summit, JCWhitless, etc.) are OEM manufacturers and make a large portion of the inexpensive replacement parts on the market.

I've never had a fitment issue and you can usually count on them to last a 'normal' service interval.

The only 'gotcha' you may encounter with RockAuto is the way they calculate shipping. If the order is shipping from several warehouses, it may be cheaper to buy local or hit a super store like Summit Racing. Summit carries almost the full catalog of Dorman products, so if you have a large order, they may be less expensive overall than your FLAPS or RockAuto, mainly because Summit ships orders over $99 for free.

That said, I've ordered a lot of parts from RA over the years and have been happy with them.

Edited by LesBerg - 15 June 2018 at 10:49pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 2:30am
Did you try my discount code?

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 3:58am
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Did you try my discount code?

Micah

If you are asking me, no. I get emailed a discount code every month. Anyone can google a discount code for RockAuto if they want to save a few bucks.
slipinkramer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slipinkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:58pm
I've ordered numerous parts from Rock Auto over the past few years with some good and some mixed results.  Overall I say Meh.  Price is always good and the parts have been usually okay so everything was fine until I needed some Customer Service.  There are no humans at Rock Auto.  Your problem had better fit into their webpage check box or it's going to get extremely frustrating!  I ended up deciding to just eat the cost of some parts because of this time consuming frustration.  At some point life becomes to short to struggle over 50 bucks.

In the meantime I re-discovered Summit Racing, an old friend.  Wow, they are the best, been around since Hector was a pup and they seem to have all the parts I need.  They bend over backwards to help in any situation with knowledgeable and easily accessed human beings in their excellent  Customer Service Department.  Also, I'm in California and their FREE Ground shipping out of their Nevada warehouse arrives here the next day every time.
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 6:30pm
I've used RockAuto a bunch for my 68 Gladiator and have order parts for the 46 no as well.  The only thing I would add is to be sure you know what you need.  Lots of parts interchange between vehicles on their website that may not actually work for your application.  I ran into this problem with a clutch kit (Beck/Arnley) for the Gladiator.  Everything was correct except the throwout bearing, which was clearly wrong.  I did talk to a live body about it and was told that their computer says it's the right part, end of story.  I ended up reusing the throwout bearing, which was still in good shape so it didn't set me back at all.
Quality of parts has seemed fine to me.  Except just recently I ordered a thermostat housing, which arrived covered in surface rust.  I initiated a return through their online process, which was super simple and my refund was approved immediately with no request to return the part. 
46 CJ2a - Buick 225, T90/D18, Warn overdrive, Rancho 2.5", power steering, disc brakes, 33x10.50 BFG KM3s

1968 J2000 - AMC 327, T18, Dana 20

1971 CJ5 RenI - 225, T18, D20(2.46:1)
 Post Reply Post Reply