Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RockEater Gears for the D18/D20 Transfer Case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 2:07am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Cool beans. I got mine yesterday and I'll have it in tonight.

Your drive flanges look cool

Have you done anything with the springs yet?

Yep springs are all done.  Took 2 leafs out of each one and added “droop” spring clips.  Lots more spring now.  I can actually get it to bounce.  My shocks are the limiting factor now.  I’ll post more on that later but here’s what they look like before I put them back on today.  

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2018 at 3:19pm
RicK G, Not sure if you have a build thread so I'll just ask right here. 
These look to be standard length front springs and I suppose they are Rancho springs. Right ?
How thick are these spring packs now  ?
I've been awake half the night considering thinning the leaves on my stockspring pack from 10 down to 8 leafs
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 2:42am
Ken, those are Black Diamond 3 1/2” lift springs.  Those two are the rear springs along with the wedges I made to lessen my driveshaft angle.  Front and rear springs are mounted in the stock locations.  Each leaf is between 1/4” and 5/16” and just 3 leafs in each pack now.   I can measure them when I get back to the jeep tomorrow.

My Videos
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 4:34am
I have the same springs. Looking forward to your feedback on how they workout for you. I have considered doing the same thing to mine.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 5:07am
Obviously very late to  to this discussion but would appreciate any input, especially from Metcalf who is also running a Dauntless.  My 2A currently has a V-6 with heavy flywheel, T-14, T-18 w OD and a 44 with locker and FF's.  I am currentlyl in the process of installing a Terra-Low in my Dana 18. Final drive ration should be about 52-1. Any thoughts on how this setup will work with the heavy flywheel when compared to a flywheel with a 134?
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 6:23pm
I've got my Rockeater transfer case installed. My first analysis is that I'm not sure that they are any quieter than the Teraflex gears. I suppose when you get into 3+ ratios, there is going to be some noise, especially with straight teeth. I really won't know what I think till I wheel them next week.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2018 at 6:34pm
John your question is a bit off the Rockeater topic but basically your Dauntless performance will be unaffected by the gearing. 
Basically the Dauntless will lug at idle pretty well no matter the reduction ratio.
The reduction ratio merely effects the speed and the grade that can be surmounted at idle.
52/1 certainly will not allow you to idle up a 100% slope (45*)
The Dauntless does not produce sufficient torque at idle rpm to climb that much grade.

That said IMHO 52 / 1 is an excellent ratio on very tough trails. 
But I feel 75/1 ratio is where true rock crawling begins.

Bottom line.... EXCELLENT ! trail jeep but shy of being a bona fide rock crawler.
It's certainly not mandatory to have a rock crawler 
It's only mandatory that you enjoy what you do have.

Quote  My first analysis is that I'm not sure that they are any quieter than the Teraflex gears.
Very interesting because I really wondered about Jacks claim concerning  Rockeater vs Tera Flex noise levels.

Edited by oldtime - 18 Mar. 2018 at 6:38pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I've got my Rockeater transfer case installed. My first analysis is that I'm not sure that they are any quieter than the Teraflex gears. I suppose when you get into 3+ ratios, there is going to be some noise, especially with straight teeth. I really won't know what I think till I wheel them next week.

That is not what we all wanted to hear. Just a recap on your case. Its a 20 with 3.6 gears and the bearing upgrade. Is that correct?
Thanks
Jay

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 3:45pm
Mine is a D20 with Rockeaters 3.6

My old one is D20 with Teraflex 3.15

Both sound fine in direct drive.

in low range they both have gear noise. Walking around the trail in low/low or low/1 has noise but it is not annoying necessarily. but low/3 is very noisy. The only time I use low/3 is those flat or sandy areas of a trail between the slow stuff. It was a pain to shift my old TC from low range to high range. Hopefully this one will not be as hard to get in and out of gear. Since mine is a D20, I have to shift two sticks to go from low range to high range.

.... Maybe I have some metal touching somewhere and it's acting like a megaphone. Rick and I can compare notes next week.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

...Plan is to drive it Tuesday.

Well Rick, Did you take Gus out for a drive today?
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

...Plan is to drive it Tuesday.

Well Rick, Did you take Gus out for a drive today?

Indeed, I did drive Gus this afternoon!  But only on the neighborhood streets.  I still have some odds and ends to do, but I’m encouraged that it will all come together.  I will put it to the dirt test tomorrow.  It’s been a while since I was in 4wd Low range, so I can’t say that the 3.6 Rockeaters were waaaay lower, which would be somewhat subjective anyway.  I’ll know more tomorrow when I climb a few hills and rocks.

I will say the Rockeaters are noticeably noisier than the stock gears, particularly in high range 3rd gear.  This may be the case for anything lower than stock, I just don’t know, because I’ve never had anything else to compare.  I will compare with Stan and Jeff in Moab next week.  I still have to adjust the clutch and brake, but that won’t really affect the noise level, but I need to get it done tomorrow.

Edited by Rick G - 21 Mar. 2018 at 2:17am

My Videos
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 2:23am
Did your springs seem to have a little more flex to them?
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 3:43am
Originally posted by Gristle Gristle wrote:

Did your springs seem to have a little more flex to them?

Yeah, they have a little more flex and spring, but it’s hard to make a statement about them by just driving on the street.  I’ll try and report my findings tomorrow after the dirt test.

My Videos
Gristle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gristle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 12:22pm
Thanks Rick!
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 2:50am
how did it go??
Thanks
Jay
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 4:48am
The initial outing went very well.  I am still having issues with the stalling and dying.  I made some minor modifications the the fuel and air intake system, but that obviously didn't fix the problem.  The motor dying during off cambers, uphill, downhill, etc. in low rpm situations is probably overshadowing the effectiveness of these new gears.  I'm not sure if they are real "crawler" gears (again, I might be biased because of my engine dying all the time), but they are definitely an improvement over stock. Anyway, I'm pleased so far and time will tell whether they were worth the investment or not.

The spring modification (i.e. the removal of 2 leafs from each spring pack) was very much an improvement.  I actually have some flex now, not a lot, but some.  Waaaay better than before.  I still think my shocks are oversized for this lightweight jeep.  When I return from Moab, I'll be researching different shocks.  If you have these springs, remove the bottom and 3rd leaf from each pack.

Anyway, here's a video of my test drive yesterday.

My Videos
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 7:22am
Rick, looks like a HUGE IMPROVEMENT ! Also a neat area to test in. Did you do any engine mods while you had it apart.
Going to load up Blueberry and Rojo tonite and strike out tomorrow am. Look forward to seeing you and “Gus”. 
Fuzz
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 1:21pm
No engine mods during this project, other than replacing the rear main oil seal.  Looking forward to seeing you guys in Moab as well.  Safe travels, my friends!

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>