Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

???  Where did you get that? Wait, don’t tell me, let me guess. 

Didn’t you say you were going to eliminate the heater? Put some Permatex #2 on those plugs in the new pump and tighten them up. Go to your FLAPS and get another pipe plug, remove the hose barb from the head and plug the hole. 
BW 
All the parts for this part of the build were ordered from Walcks.

Yeah, I'll be eliminating the heater. I was under the impression that using a bypass hose would help with cooling vs just plugging the holes?
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 4:46am
  I don't know that a hose from the rear of the head to the water pump will have any effect on cooling efficiency. Jeeps that left the factory without a heater did not have a hose in its place, the ports were plugged. The bypass hose that was used on CJ3A's and the F-head was connected from the front of the head to the water pump. An extra coolant hose in the engine compartment is just something else to have a chance to leak.
  Did that hose barb with the washers come with the pump, or did you buy that extra?

BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I don't know that a hose from the rear of the head to the water pump will have any effect on cooling efficiency. Jeeps that left the factory without a heater did not have a hose in its place, the ports were plugged. The bypass hose that was used on CJ3A's and the F-head was connected from the front of the head to the water pump. An extra coolant hose in the engine compartment is just something else to have a chance to leak.
  Did that hose barb with the washers come with the pump, or did you buy that extra?

BW
I bought those extra, to run the bypass hose. If a bypass hose isn't going to increase cooling efficiency, then I don't really see a need in running one. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2020 at 8:45pm
Well I was working today on all the cooling system woes and I was attempting to remove the stopcock from the rear top of the block where the heater hose outlet was so I could put a pipe plug in it. It broke off at the threads, even with the top of the block. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it out without too much trouble?

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2020 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

Well I was working today on all the cooling system woes and I was attempting to remove the stopcock from the rear top of the block where the heater hose outlet was so I could put a pipe plug in it. It broke off at the threads, even with the top of the block. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it out without too much trouble?

If you don't have an extractor that size, heat it up with a torch, then take a hacksaw blade and saw into the ID of the fitting until you hit the minor diameter of the threads.  Take your time and observe carefully while doing this to avoid cutting too far.  Once you've cut down to the minor diameter, usually a good hard smack with a hammer and chisel next to your cut (from the OD towards the ID) will fold it up enough that it'll come right out.

You may be able to skip the hacksaw blade part after you heat it up by just tapping lightly it counterclockwise with a hammer and chisel to unscrew it.  If you do that, try to do in such a fashion that you don't expand the threads tighter into the casting.

A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2020 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Anvil Anvil wrote:

Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

If you don't have an extractor that size, heat it up with a torch, then take a hacksaw blade and saw into the ID of the fitting until you hit the minor diameter of the threads.  Take your time and observe carefully while doing this to avoid cutting too far.  Once you've cut down to the minor diameter, usually a good hard smack with a hammer and chisel next to your cut (from the OD towards the ID) will fold it up enough that it'll come right out.

You may be able to skip the hacksaw blade part after you heat it up by just tapping lightly it counterclockwise with a hammer and chisel to unscrew it.  If you do that, try to do in such a fashion that you don't expand the threads tighter into the casting.

Thanks for the input! A good buddy of mine that used to be a mechanic is going to bring an Easy Out over later this week, so hopefully that'll do the trick!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2020 at 1:39am

[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input! A good buddy of mine that used to be a mechanic is going to bring an Easy Out over later this week, so hopefully that'll do the trick!
[/QUOTE]

As a rule easy outs are not
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 4:33am
Removed the speedometer and discovered why it didn't work. There wasn't a cable attached! Also replaced the old temp gauge with a new one that I tested before installation to make sure it works! I'll be installing a speedometer cable soon. Really hoping the connection point on the TC isn't too gunked up...

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 4:45am
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny. I like Anvil's approach. I've never had good luck with easy outs, though on occasion they do work. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny. I like Anvil's approach. I've never had good luck with easy outs, though on occasion they do work.  [/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm going to give it a try. But I've got a fresh hacksaw blade ready just in case!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2021 at 7:01pm
Well the (Not So) Easy Out didn't do jack squat!  I got it in there and put enough muscle on it to break a jaw off a 1/2" wrench!  Soaked the threads multiple times in brake fluid, PB Blaster, and another penetrating oil a friend of mine had.  Still nothing.  So I guess my next step is to try to saw vertically through what's left of the stopcock in a few places and try to break it loose.  Unfortunately I can't get a jigsaw in there under the cowl, which would make it go a lot faster.  Hand power it is!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 8:56pm
Yep, Easy Out didn't work. Internal Pipe Wrench didn't work. Sawing didn't work. I hate to say it, but Bubba might get ahold of it...
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 9:19pm
I would not have taken a hacksaw to it as you will (have) undoubtedly saw into the threads. Tapered pipe threads seal by close fit of male threads to the female threads and if you have a line in it, you now have a path for a leak. 

If it were mine, I would run a weld bead all around the inside of the fitting. That will have a tendency to shrink the material. Then I would weld a bolt to bead laid down and unscrew the fitting. If the weld fails before fitting comes out, then repeat the process and eventually it will come out. Don't worry about welding the fitting or screw to the head. The head is cast iron and the weld wont stick to that.   
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 9:39pm
Well the hacksaw method was recommended here, but it was my last resort. Either way, it didn't work and I probably didn't get all the way through the brass anyway. Speaking of brass, can you weld it? I know you can braze it, but as far as I know, weld won't stick to it. Either way, I've gotta figure out how to either get this piece of pipe nipple out, or figure out a way to stop it up where it won't leak. This is holding up the whole show!
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 11:22pm

I didn't realize that the fitting was brass, so yes, welding is out. You could still braze it but it will be kind of tough to lay a bead around the ID in the vertical position it's in. I would clean it up really well and braze a piece of brass rod to it. If you still can get it out, cut it off just above flush, grind it flat and pretty, and call it a day. You can always deal with it at a later day when you have more time.  

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 11:33pm
Yeah, it's already broken off below the top of the block in most spots. And I think the "Easy Out" only served to press the brass tightly into the threads of the block. I'm wondering if I'm just going to have to thread a short, fat bolt into it, with Permatex #2 to help make a seal, and *gulp* JB Weld around the bolt head. This one thing has turned into way more trouble than it's worth at this point, and I'm ready to move on with the rest of the project. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 11:42pm
This is what it looks like currently. 

TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2021 at 11:53am
Could you heat it up with a torch and pry it out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>