Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by TMRoper TMRoper wrote:

Could you heat it up with a torch and pry it out?

I don't have a torch that gets hot enough to do it, unfortunately.  Either way, there's not really anything left to grab hold of to pry it out.  It is thoroughly stuck, and broken off just below the top of the block except for one small piece but it's toward the rear and there's not an angle to get in on it.
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2021 at 2:21pm
If you can get a small grinder in there, grind the inside down to the top of the threads, you should be able to see the difference in metals as you go, if you can get enough removed a pick should be enough to get the remaining parts out.
Unfortunately if nothing else works, the head needs to come off so you can see what you’re doing, or take it to a machine shop that will have the tools to get it out.
Pulling the head is normally easy, it may almost be faster to just pull it so you can work on it without the cowl in the way.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2021 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

This is what it looks like currently. 

Yah, that's quite the ugly mess you have there. I would still braze a rod to it that fits snug into the hole. Being below the top surface should not be a problem. It sounds like you don't have a torch so maybe have someone else do it for you.

Another option may be to solder it with map gas. It's pretty beefy so not sure how well that will work but may be worth a try.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2021 at 3:30pm
Yeah, it's pretty ugly!  Haha!  I might do that.  Gotta see where I can source a small chunk of brass rod that's wide enough.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2021 at 8:31pm
Took the Harrison Heater out of Papa Doc today. Surprisingly doesn't look to be in terrible condition! Still have the original switch, but the knob broke when I was removing it. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2021 at 4:27pm
Well I just ordered the suspension overhaul kit from Walck's!  Looking forward to getting it installed and seeing how PD sits and rides!

Still need to push PD out in the driveway and flush the block and treat the cooling system with CLR.  Been waiting on a few warm days in a row where I'm not working and it doesn't get below freezing overnight before I tackle that...
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2021 at 11:49pm
Well I got the first box of 3 from Walck's in! This one had the shocks, shackles, U-bolts, pivot books, and required mounting hardware. So the other boxes will have the springs themselves! Definitely not doing anything in the current weather pattern. Cold and getting colder! But once it warms up, the ball will roll again!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 12:28am

Well I got the first box of 3 from Walck's in! This one had the shocks, shackles, U-bolts, pivot books, and required mounting hardware. So the other boxes will have the springs themselves! Definitely not doing anything in the current weather pattern. Cold and getting colder! But once it warms up, the ball will roll again!

Good luck on working outdoors for the next few days, Cole. It is supposed to be colder than a welldigger's arse for the next week in Kansas AND Baha Kansas! Supposed to be lows of around zero up here and I can't think it would be much warmer in Glenpool.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 12:54am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Good luck on working outdoors for the next few days, Cole. It is supposed to be colder than a welldigger's arse for the next week in Kansas AND Baha Kansas! Supposed to be lows of around zero up here and I can't think it would be much warmer in Glenpool.

Oh it's gonna be colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra in a snowstorm down here too!
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 4:01am
Well I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I would ream/drill that fitting and re thread it. I don't think it would be the difficult. Especcially if all you were trying to do ia get big enough to put a plug in it. Just my $.02
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2021 at 11:46pm
Well I got a really good deal on a Quadratec Q9000 winch so now I have another project to add onto Papa Doc! It'll be a real hot minute before I get around to installing it, but it's another step closer to the "finished" product!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 9:16pm
Springs have arrived! Hoping to get the suspension done this Friday!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 2:39am
Got 1 corner done! I think this one will be the one that takes the longest because of the learning curve. But Papa Doc is already sitting a little higher!

Old spring by new spring. 

You can see how worn old pivot eye bushing and pivot bolt were! Makes me even more glad I'm getting this done!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2021 at 2:34am
Got a problem gents, and need some input. I started working on the rear suspension this evening, and the old spring pack bolt head is stuck in the axle. Not sure how to go about getting it out so I can install the new leaf pack. 

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 01 Mar. 2021 at 3:16am
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2021 at 2:45am
  Bump it left, bump it right, bump it forward, bump it back, bump it back and forth and ‘round an’ ‘round, it oughta come loose. A little PB won’t hurt, of course. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2021 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Bump it left, bump it right, bump it forward, bump it back, bump it back and forth and ‘round an’ ‘round, it oughta come loose. A little PB won’t hurt, of course. 
BW 

I hit it with PB tonight before I closed down shop. Gonna let it soak and bump it all around tomorrow. Thanks Bruce!

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 01 Mar. 2021 at 3:16am
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 1:04am
Bruce, that worked like a charm! After a night with the PB on it, took less than a minute of tapping it back and forth before it just fell right out!

I'm now more than 75% doing with the suspension overhaul. 3 corners fully done, got the shock and spring plate off the last corner. I should finish that all up on Thursday when I'm off work. Then just gotta grease all the points, and move on to the next thing!

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 02 Mar. 2021 at 1:05am
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2021 at 8:20pm
Suspension overhaul is done! Many thanks to SE Kansas and Bruce W for their help and advice. Next up will be flushing and treating the cooling system. I am so ready to get Papa Doc on the road again!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>