Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2021 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

I’ve only ever used just the paper and been fine. 

I'll probably do that when I get a new gasket in.

So I'm not sure about the fuel pump, and I don't want to keep running the carb with it leaking like it is. So I'm stuck until I can get a new gasket. I'm going to replace the 90° elbows that connect the fuel line to the pump as well. That's the only part I didn't replace originally. Maybe there's something stuck in one that's preventing fuel flow. Only thing I can think of at this point. 
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2021 at 10:52pm
Yeah, check the fittings to be sure they are clear. They probably are ok being reused if clean but if they look questionable at all it can’t hurt anything to replace them.
Just be careful using any sort of sealer on fittings or gaskets that come in contact with gas, tape on those fittings can get into things and cause problems. I’ve always been fortunate that they seal without anything, but I know they make a gasoline rated pipe sealer that’s safer to use if needed.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2021 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

Yeah, check the fittings to be sure they are clear. They probably are ok being reused if clean but if they look questionable at all it can’t hurt anything to replace them.
Just be careful using any sort of sealer on fittings or gaskets that come in contact with gas, tape on those fittings can get into things and cause problems. I’ve always been fortunate that they seal without anything, but I know they make a gasoline rated pipe sealer that’s safer to use if needed.

I just ordered replacement fittings. Gonna go ahead and switch them out. Easy, relatively cheap thing to rule out. I'm also going to go ahead and try just the paper gasket and see if that stays sealed and not leaking. While I've got the hoses disconnected I'll check them again, even though they're all new, and make sure they're patent. After all that, all that's left is the fuel pump. If fuel is still not pumping, that's all it could be that I know of. If it's not, I'll order a new one but I'm going to go with a glass bowl so I can SEE it working or not. 

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 23 Mar. 2021 at 11:43pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2021 at 1:43am
Question.... maybe I’ve missed something somewhere. If the fuel pump is not delivering fuel to the carburetor, how do you have fuel leakage appearing at the carburetor? Which carburetor gasket is leaking?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2021 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Question.... maybe I’ve missed something somewhere. If the fuel pump is not delivering fuel to the carburetor, how do you have fuel leakage appearing at the carburetor? Which carburetor gasket is leaking?
BW 

I poured gas down the carb in an effort to get it to start and hopefully pump. It started right up and ran great for about 5 seconds, then died. When I remove the fuel line from the carb and crank it, no fuel comes from the line, even if I stoke the carb with gas first.

The gasket that is leaking is the one at the bottom where the carb attaches to the intake(?).
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2021 at 2:07am
  Gotcha. That gas that you see at that gasket may have hit the throttle butterfly and run out through the shaft bores and then down onto the gasket. Under normal operating conditions there is no liquid fuel at that point. This is normal when pouring gas down the carb’s throat. If it is leaking at the gasket, then air can leak in when the engine runs. It may need some more tightening to crush the copper sleeves in the gasket. I never use any sealant on a carburetor base gasket, or anywhere on or in the carb itself. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2021 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Gotcha. That gas that you see at that gasket may have hit the throttle butterfly and run out through the shaft bores and then down onto the gasket. Under normal operating conditions there is no liquid fuel at that point. This is normal when pouring gas down the carb’s throat. If it is leaking at the gasket, then air can leak in when the engine runs. It may need some more tightening to crush the copper sleeves in the gasket. I never use any sealant on a carburetor base gasket, or anywhere on or in the carb itself. 
BW 

All good information, and appreciated as always. Thanks Bruce!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2021 at 5:05pm
Took down the fuel line from the carb to the filter. The elbows connecting the line to the pump were clear. However, a small section of line between the filter and the pump had a section sheared into the center by the lip on the stem on the filter. Picture attached. I replaced that section of line. I also blew through the line from the filter to the tank. Clear. 

I thought that might be what was causing my issue, but I still can't keep PD running. Maybe the pump is just a dud. I don't know. 

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 29 Mar. 2021 at 5:43pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2021 at 5:55pm
Went back in and reprimed the fuel line today, stuck the line from the pump into an empty bottle and cranked it. Nothing coming out of the line, even with it primed. Pretty sure I have a dud pump. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 4:09pm
Here's an admittedly crappy bore scope picture of where the pump arm rides. Doesn't look worn to me. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 11:34pm
I'm going to be removing the wipers from Papa Doc shortly. Do I need to remove where the house comes off the intake and plug it? I presume I do, but I want to be sure. 

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 1:09am
Definitely! Plug it up or have an air leak to the intake manifold. Let's get PD on the trail PDQ...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 1:15am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Definitely! Plug it up or have an air leak to the intake manifold. Let's get PD on the trail PDQ...

Thanks for the input! PD definitely needs some trail time SOON!!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 2:51am
Got the wipers off without too much trouble, and without damaging anything! The set will be posted for sale once I take a few pictures tomorrow. I even had a pipe plug the right size and thread pitch to seal the intake manifold! Another thing crossed off my to do list!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 12:45am
I spent the day taking apart, oiling, and putting back together Papa Doc's speedometer! Turns smoothly and should operate properly! Pretty happy with myself on this one!
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 12:55am
It's fun to repair guages, tough to get them open.
john
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2021 at 2:02am
A paint can key worked surprisingly well. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2021 at 11:12pm
Got the glass bowl fuel pump installed today. Here's hoping this one works!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>