Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2021 at 10:07am
Ed I had a thought after watching a couple YouTube videos and looking at driveshafts and slip yokes on KW.  I re-did the whole suspension, which elevated the rise height, lengthening the drive shaft.  Bing, bang, boom.  I'm going to get under PD tomorrow and see if there's any up/down play on the splines.  If there is, I may be making another trip to SE KS!  Either way, I'll grease it up (no telling when it was last done) and see if that helps in the meantime. 

I really need to get my hands on a set of maintenance manuals!
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 4:58pm
Well I climbed under PD to check the driveshaft. It seemed structurally sound, no wiggle or up/down movement. However, it is out of phase by about 90deg. So I'll have to disconnect it anyway to fix that. Hope the spring clips don't snap when I squeeze them...
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 5:21pm
You shouldn’t need to take the U-joint spring clips off, unbolt the shaft from the axle and you can slide it apart under the Jeep and correctly phase it. If the dust seal is still there you may need to loosen it first before it will slide apart.
Also, you need to hold the u-joint bearing caps in place as you pull it off the flange and then wrap some tape around them ,otherwise the caps can come off and you may loose the needle bearings .

Edited by 48willys - 07 July 2021 at 5:35pm
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

You shouldn’t need to take the U-joint spring clips off, unbolt the shaft from the axle and you can slide it apart under the Jeep and correctly phase it. If the dust seal is still there you may need to loosen it first before it will slide apart.
Also, you need to hold the u-joint bearing caps in place as you pull it off the flange and then wrap some tape around them ,otherwise the caps can come off and you may loose the needle bearings .

Very good information to have! Thank you very much!!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 9:53pm
Put the drive shaft back in phase this evening. Fixed the vibration!! I also inspected the splines closely, they actually looked too be in very good shape. I do need to grease the drive shaft up and start greasing all the chassis points. What grease is recommended for those 2 applications? All I've seen is No1 chassis lube, but does anyone have a specific brand recommendation or anything I should stay away from?

I also put it in 4WD for the first time and was very happy with the results! No rock crawling or anything crazy, just a bit of off road fun!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 11:12am
I like this one:

Valvoline Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease - 1 lb can #632

Or:

Valvoline Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease - 14 oz tube for a grease gun #633

Same grease just different containers. It can be used on all grease points on your jeep... driveshafts, spring shackles, tie rods, wheel bearings...everywhere!

I got mine on Amazon, but Rock Auto has it also. Locally, your NAPA parts store should stock it.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I like this one:

Valvoline Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease - 1 lb can #632

Or:

Valvoline Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease - 14 oz tube for a grease gun #633

Same grease just different containers. It can be used on all grease points on your jeep... driveshafts, spring shackles, tie rods, wheel bearings...everywhere!

I got mine on Amazon, but Rock Auto has it also. Locally, your NAPA parts store should stock it.
Excellent! Thanks Ed! PD should be completely trail ready pretty soon!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 9:32pm
Greased up numbers 2-11 today! Helped with a number of squeaks and seems to be steering a bit smoother. Also got the speedometer re-installed and got Papa Doc up to about 45 before I got nervous, haha!

Glamor shot!

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 8:42am
Lookin' good! ...and I like those rims.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2021 at 10:12am

Lookin' good! ...and I like those rims.
Hey so do I!! Big smile
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 11:16am
Been taking it easy, just enjoying a few drives a week.  Trying to stretch PD's legs every time, go a little further.  I'll hopefully get stuff to start rewiring soon, then I'll be street legal!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2021 at 10:53am
Took my brother for a jeep drive last night and started having some bogging down issues again. However, PD seemed to be stopping very quickly when I would push the clutch in. So I think my brakes are dragging. PD has had a disk brake conversion on all 4 corners. It seems to be focused in the rear (judging from the smell and the rotors are much darker, like they got hotter than the front). So I'm going to pull the rear tires and see if I can't figure out what's up. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2022 at 5:51pm
Been a while since I've been active here!  Thought I'd drop in and let y'all know that Papa Doc is going strong!  Runs great and drives as well as can be expected!  I do have to keep a close close eye on the fuel level.  With the fuel tank being a top pull, whenever I'm not level and the tank is low, I have standard low fuel problems.  But that's ok!  I just keep a close eye on the fuel!  I still haven't gotten around to wiring.  Maybe this summer I'll roll that ball.  Anyway, just wanted to give y'all an update!
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2022 at 6:48pm
Great looking jeep ya got there!  Fold that windshield down and secure it before your next test drive, get that wind in your hair feel!!!!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2022 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Great looking jeep ya got there!  Fold that windshield down and secure it before your next test drive, get that wind in your hair feel!!!!

Oh that's coming soon, trust me!  And thank you!!

Edited by Rockgod1619 - 10 Feb. 2022 at 7:22pm
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2022 at 9:21am
I thought you had either disappeared of the face of the earth or sold Papa Doc. Good to see you are still in the game...

Keep in mind that there is a Willys Rush coming up at Rush Springs Ranch near Noel, Missouri this April 22. Good chance to exerchise Papa Doc and meet fellow jeepers.

Information thread: https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/willys-rush-rush-springs-ranch-missouri2022_topic50493.html

You wouldn't have to trailer far from the Tulsa area.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2022 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

While waiting for my other box of lug studs to get here, I decided to make a keychain for Papa Doc. Took 3/4" copper pipe, hammered it flat, stamped it, and sanded it. It's far from perfect, but perfect for PD!

Outstanding. I like the perfect "imperfect" lettering. 
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2022 at 12:44pm

I thought you had either disappeared of the face of the earth or sold Papa Doc. Good to see you are still in the game...

Keep in mind that there is a Willys Rush coming up at Rush Springs Ranch near Noel, Missouri this April 22. Good chance to exerchise Papa Doc and meet fellow jeepers.

Information thread: https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/willys-rush-rush-springs-ranch-missouri2022_topic50493.html

You wouldn't have to trailer far from the Tulsa area.

I'd love to be able to go! Unfortunately, with my wife and I both being nurses, we're pretty dadgum busy with work. My wife's working a contract right now and I'm trying to get on one as well to make some extra money. I am hoping to make it in the next couple years. I also need to do more off road testing.  I've had issues with fuel uptake (top draw polymer tank) so I need to know where "empty" is when there's still fuel in the tank. Also need to get PD wired. Tons to do and not near enough time to get it all done!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>