Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 5:53pm
That's not a dual sport. Back then they were called "Enduros"  
I had a 1978 Yamaha DT400E 2-stroke. Loved it, replaced it 11 years ago with a 99 Suzuki DRZ400S 4-stroke.  Still have it. Great for scouting out forest service roads. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 11:24pm
I actually remember them being referred to as "dual purpose" motorcycles. I guess not as "sporty" as the KTM I have now, but still fun! I wouldn't mind zipping around town on a "ring dinger".
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 9:19pm
Got the engine bay vacuumed out, old battery out, weird mesh screen off the grill (discovered what appears to be a .22 hole. Yay new radiatorAngry), poured Berryman's in the carb (which will need new gaskets, thing leaked like a sieve), pulled the old sparkplug wires. Bought new plugs, new distributor cap and rotor (cap and rotor will be in tomorrow). Making progress!

'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 8:53pm
Looks like a good start. You may not need a new radiator, a radiator shop could clean it and solder the hole shut.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

Looks like a good start. You may not need a new radiator, a radiator shop could clean it and solder the hole shut.

I'll have to look into that. Discovered today I'm gonna need a new gas tank. Went to drain it and the stem the drain plug goes in broke into pieces. And the bolts holding the driver's seat (and gas tank) are rusted frozen. Ugh.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 8:33pm
Got the new distributor cap and rotor installed yesterday. Drained the oil and started flushing the system with kerosene today. Got the driver's seat and gas tank off. Yeah, the tank is toast. If my stepdad can't find the spare he bought, I will probably go with a polymer tank unless there's a really good reason not to. 

Also gave myself more vacuuming to do...

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 5:05pm
Front tires off. Taking them later to get some cheapo rollers put on for ease of movement. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 9:05pm
And just like that, Papa had a brand new pair of shoes!

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 12:22am
That carb looks to be a Solex replacement carb. Not the best carb but they work, not sure about where to obtain part kit. here's the whole shebang for $135. will need a fuel pressure regulator.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse quite yet see what else your engine needs to begin to turn and fire off

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 12:49am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

That carb looks to be a Solex replacement carb. Not the best carb but they work, not sure about where to obtain part kit. here's the whole shebang for $135. will need a fuel pressure regulator.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse quite yet see what else your engine needs to begin to turn and fire off

I bought a carb off a gentleman here. The engine turns freely and gets spark. I've almost got the oil system done. Next will be the fuel system. Gotta get a new tank, I'll likely go with polymer. Less chance for rust, at least on that side of it. Gotta replace any rubber tubing, replace the fuel filter, pull the fuel pump and likely do a rebuild on that. Many things to do yet!
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 2:43pm
I bought a polymer tank last year, it has been working quite well.  The only difference is it sits a little higher than the steel tank and the fuel line outlet is on top of the tank.  My old tank’s gas cap fits quite well on it.  Looks like your making pretty good headway and will be driving around in no time.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Tartone Tartone wrote:

I bought a polymer tank last year, it has been working quite well.  The only difference is it sits a little higher than the steel tank and the fuel line outlet is on top of the tank.  My old tank’s gas cap fits quite well on it.  Looks like your making pretty good headway and will be driving around in no time.

Thank you for the information on the polymer tank.  May I ask where you bought it from/who is the manufacturer? 

Yeah, I've got the oil system almost done, and it gets spark, so once I have fuel taken care of we'll see how the engine sounds!  After fuel is taken care of I'm going to pull the radiator and take it to a local shop and see if they can repair it/how much that's going to cost vs getting a new radiator.
Tartone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

Thank you for the information on the polymer tank.  May I ask where you bought it from/who is the manufacturer? 

Yeah, I've got the oil system almost done, and it gets spark, so once I have fuel taken care of we'll see how the engine sounds!  After fuel is taken care of I'm going to pull the radiator and take it to a local shop and see if they can repair it/how much that's going to cost vs getting a new radiator.

Not sure who is the manufacturer, I’ll try and take a look later and see if it is on the tank.  I purchased it from kaiser willys and it is made in the USA. 

Also, you will have to run an extra grounding wire from the fuel gauge sending unit back to the tank hold down strap.  Switching from steel you effectively those the tank as the ground itself.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 4:36pm

Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

Not sure who is the manufacturer, I’ll try and take a look later and see if it is on the tank.  I purchased it from kaiser willys and it is made in the USA. 

Also, you will have to run an extra grounding wire from the fuel gauge sending unit back to the tank hold down strap.  Switching from steel you effectively those the tank as the ground itself.

No worries if you can't find the manufacturer.  That's good to know about the sending unit ground, though!  Thanks for that info!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 8:27pm
Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to take the springs and cushion from the passenger seat and put them on the driver's seat?  The driver's seat is basically trashed other than the frame.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2020 at 9:38pm
Got the oil pan off and cleaned. Just got to scrape off the old gasket and replace it with the new one. The oil pick up looked good. 

Also replaced thr old bolt on the hitch. It wouldn't tighten and was unsafe to flat haul. Put a new bolt in, works perfectly! I'll probably put an acorn nut on with loctite to make sure it doesn't come off!

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2020 at 1:58am
your lucky there was a guy here in Western Oregon the had a spray business he operated with a pair Willys CJ2A's or 3A's (I was to young to know which. My dad knew all about the jeeps and said by the time they were done as spray rigs they were completely rusted out from the weather and chemicals..
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2020 at 1:36pm
Just a quick tip for the pan bolts, go easy torquing them. They only need 10-14lb, if over torqued it can distort the pan around the bolt holes and leak. You don’t need a torque wrench but it gives you a idea what they need.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>