Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rockgod's '51 CJ3a Project

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Message
otto View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 26 Feb. 2012
Location: Orygun
Status: Offline
Points: 1038
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 6:32pm
Those clips are generally called "J-clips" and should be folded over so they can slip over thin sheet metal. The one in your photo appears to be broken. I don't have a 3a so I'm kind of guessing.
47 CJ2A
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
Forgive me if I don't return the "jeep wave", I need both hands on the wheel!
Back to Top
48willys View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 22 June 2007
Location: sw/ virginia
Status: Offline
Points: 908
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 6:36pm
Sorry forgot how the cj3a shroud mounted, that’s going to be a tough one, the ones I drilled were much easier. I guess there’s no reason you couldn’t drill it as long as you can protect the core tube. It would nice to get it on there and would help with cooling, but it may be ok without it.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, they should be easy for you to find locally, just bring the old ones so you get the right ones.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2020 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

Sorry forgot how the cj3a shroud mounted, that’s going to be a tough one, the ones I drilled were much easier. I guess there’s no reason you couldn’t drill it as long as you can protect the core tube. It would nice to get it on there and would help with cooling, but it may be ok without it.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking, they should be easy for you to find locally, just bring the old ones so you get the right ones.

Yeah, I know Stan Fuller runs Grampa's Jeep without a shroud and doesn't have cooling problems. 

I'll have to see if I can wrangle 4 of these up. 
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
Rus Curtis View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 25 Mar. 2010
Location: Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 1135
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2020 at 12:02am

Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

....does anyone know where I can get the little retaining clips and bolts that screw in from the backside of the grill? I can't find them on Walcks or KW. It's an interesting type of bolt, not like a normal bolt and I don't know what that style is called. 

Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

These are the bolts and clips I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same ones.


 

This may be where a 3A and 3B share parts.

 

In my Parts Manual, those are called-

 

Acme bolt (5/16"-10 x 5/8")    and    

Tinnerman clip (5/16"-10)

 
I'd stored mine for a while and one went missing.  After actually looking it up, I understood why I couldn't find one at the local hardware store.

 

 

You could order them:

 

https://www.mcmaster.com/acme-screws/component~hex-head-screw/

https://www.mcmaster.com/speed-nuts

https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/products/tinnerman-style-u-type-spring-nuts?pid=6204

 

- OR -

You could call Harry Sheets, he has a bucket full of them (that's where I got mine):

http://www.midwestwillys.com/

 
I eventually found the one I hid.


Edited by Rus Curtis - 13 Sep. 2020 at 12:04am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

....does anyone know where I can get the little retaining clips and bolts that screw in from the backside of the grill? I can't find them on Walcks or KW. It's an interesting type of bolt, not like a normal bolt and I don't know what that style is called. 

Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

These are the bolts and clips I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same ones.


 

This may be where a 3A and 3B share parts.

 

In my Parts Manual, those are called-

 

Acme bolt (5/16"-10 x 5/8")    and    

Tinnerman clip (5/16"-10)

 
I'd stored mine for a while and one went missing.  After actually looking it up, I understood why I couldn't find one at the local hardware store.

 

 

You could order them:

 

https://www.mcmaster.com/acme-screws/component~hex-head-screw/

https://www.mcmaster.com/speed-nuts

https://www.fastenersuperstore.com/products/tinnerman-style-u-type-spring-nuts?pid=6204

 

- OR -

You could call Harry Sheets, he has a bucket full of them (that's where I got mine):

http://www.midwestwillys.com/

 
I eventually found the one I hid.

Awesome!! Thanks for the info Rus!!
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2020 at 9:57pm
2 coats of roll on Herculiner done today. I'll probably do a 3rd coat in a few days when I'm off work again. The vertical portions that aren't done yet will be done with spray on Herculiner. 


'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 11:35am
Got the driver's side verticals sprayed with spray on Herculiner. Ran out before I could do the passenger side. Gotta grab another can.


'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2020 at 5:57pm
Pretty stupid question here, but would a simple piece of speaker wire work as the ground for my sending unit, since I have a polymer tank?
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
TMRoper View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 23 Aug. 2016
Location: Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 32
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 6:49am
Nice to see another okie on the page(El Reno) , I just ran a piece of wire from the sending unit to the floor behind the seat, you don’t even notice it.
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by TMRoper TMRoper wrote:

Nice to see another okie on the page(El Reno) , I just ran a piece of wire from the sending unit to the floor behind the seat, you don’t even notice it.
 
Hey there, fellow Okie!  I found some speaker wire hanging out in the garage not being used, so that's probably what I'll do.  Thanks for the advice!
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 6:29pm
We're getting awful close! Got the fuel tank installed and hooked up today! I'm hoping to get the radiator installed tomorrow. Then it's just a little gas in the tank and see if Doc will start!!


'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2020 at 9:00pm
Wonderful things today! Got the new radiator installed. Discovered a small leak from the water pump, so I'll need to take it off and replace the gasket, but that's not a huge deal. The big thing is, PAPA DOC STARTED!! He's alive!! This is a big milestone for this project! Here's a link to the engine running!

'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
Rus Curtis View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 25 Mar. 2010
Location: Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 1135
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 11:54am
Congratulations!
 
The link had one too many "http's" in it.  I removed one and got to your video:
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Congratulations!
 
The link had one too many "http's" in it.  I removed one and got to your video:

Fixed it! Thanks Rus!!
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2020 at 1:47pm
Drained the front differential. The stuff that came out practically stood up on its own!! A buddy recommended that while it's drained, just go ahead and remove the cover and make sure everything looks good inside. What do you guys say?
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Sponsor Member

Joined: 01 Mar. 2008
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline
Points: 2075
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2020 at 2:02pm
Good advice at least you'll know where you stand if it needs bearings  or other parts
'53 Cj3B 4 cyl,clifford research header, D25/D44 lockrights,11" brakes, Belleview ol skool winch.


Texan at heart,GA by paycheck

Back to Top
Tartone View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 Aug. 2018
Location: Virginia
Status: Offline
Points: 87
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tartone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2020 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Rockgod1619 Rockgod1619 wrote:

Drained the front differential. The stuff that came out practically stood up on its own!! A buddy recommended that while it's drained, just go ahead andremove the cover and make sure everything looks good inside. What do you guys say?

Sounds like solid advice to me, I did that and changed the gaskets when I first got mine.  Everything looked good so I refilled with oil and no problems since.
Back to Top
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 01 July 2020
Location: NE Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2020 at 4:18pm
Guess that's what I'm gonna do! It is good advice, to be sure.
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd.