Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rocky Mt. Nat. Park - Tues. July 21, 2020 - Event Date: 21 July 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Rocky Mt. Nat. Park - Tues. July 21, 2020
    Posted: 14 June 2020 at 11:06pm
A couple of us are planing a trip into RMNP to drive up Old Fall River road to the summit of Trail Ridge road, and then down Trail Ridge back to Estes Park.  The trip will begin and end at the K-Mart parking lot in Loveland at the corner of Wilson and Eisenhower (US 34).  We will plan to meet there at 9AM on Tues. the 21st, and be on the road to Estes Park by 9:30AM in our flat fenders.

TT to Estes is about 45 min.  Then up through the clouds to the summit visitor center may take about 1.5 hours +-, putting us at the top around noon.  The center should have some food but bringing a lunch and snacks and drinks would be advised.  Or check with the Park to see what services are available by then at the visitor center.

Needless to say, we are rolling the dice on weather.  Bring warm clothes and rain gear.  We will plan to do the trip rain or shine, as we cannot book a "rain date" at this time.  If you have an FRS  radio, you might bring that too.  It is doubtful that there will be any 4wd use on this trip, unless there is time and the opportunity presents itself.  Think of this as more of a "bucket list" trip cruising up to the top of the world (almost) and back.  

Being just a day trip, we are figuring this trip will appeal mostly to the "local" flat fender guys, but of course it is open to any flat fender.   YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR ENTRY INTO THE PARK!  If you go to this link:  https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/fees.htm you can learn about what fees and passes are required for the day.  The FAQ section is worth a read.  To make your reservation for a "timed entry" (due to Covid), you will be re-directed to Reservations.gov.  I found it a little confusing but if I can figure it out, anybody can!   edit:  Make your entry res. for 10am.  They allow a 2hr. grace period, so if we have delays, we can still go in as late as noon.

If you need additional information, you can contact Bruce L. (calndrman on the 2A), or me Tom F. (aboyandhisdog on the 2A) or just post here.  You might post here on this thread if you plan to join us so that we can have an idea of how many jeeps to expect.  At this time, we think the K-Mart parking lot will accommodate trailers and will update this if we learn different.  As I understand it, that store is closed now so that lot should be fairly empty.  It is my thinking that anybody from, say, the Boulder area all the way to north of Fort Collins should have no problem driving their road-worthy Willys all the way from home to Loveland, up to EP, up to the summit, and back home.  

This is about all I can think of for now.  If we think of anything pertinent, Bruce or I will post it here.  I hope you folks can make this trip with us.  We are going no matter what.  Don't forget to bring masks, though we will still have to put space between us.  Shouldn't be too hard on a trip like this, but if you do plan to go in the visitor center, a mask will be required.   Happy Trails!

Edited by aboyandhisdog - 26 June 2020 at 4:27pm
Tom
1949 CJ3A

aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 2:08am
Here is a link to the historic Old Fall River road:   https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1066-old-fall-river-road   It's pretty cool.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 2:10am
Good on ya Tom for posting, you all have a great trip..and as per strict forum rules "fotos or it didn't happen". Hey to Annie and Holly..

Muley
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 2:18am
I wish you could join us, Rick.  You would love this drive!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 2:36am
Luckyyyy.....we anxiously await pictures.

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 10:49am
Tom, this sounds like a great day trip. I'd love to join you but Nancy and I will be gone visiting next week.  And like Muley said, we need pics!!  I hope the weather is clear cuz that's a great drive. Have fun!!

I can't believe that you need to make reservations to enter the park.  A thousand square miles of land to get lost in.  Hundreds of miles of roads to drive.  And they want folks to make a reservation to get in?  I guess they must be expecting a flash-mob at the visitor center.  These are crazy times we're living in. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 2:50pm
I wish you could make it too, Mike.  Maybe your sister could join us???  To be clear though, it isn't next week - it's the 21st of July.  We wanted to give folks plenty of time to plan and get the reservations.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:25pm

This is very tempting Tom... so put me down as a mild maybe. I was in RMNP Sept last year on vacation and drove that road in my Subaru.... Stern Smile. At the time I was thinking how nice it would be to do this in a jeep... even with it was raining as I started and then snowing on the top. 

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 3:43pm
I think that would put you as the solid front-runner for the "from furthest away" trophy, Joe!  Bruce had mentioned that if we do have some folks who are traveling in from the hinterlands, we could possibly put together some local 4wd trail rides for the next day in order to make the trip worth their while.  However, we would cross that bridge when we come to it.  Take it easy!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 3:18am
Tom this sounds wonderful!  But of course I've got family visiting in July.  Also, to be honest, my jeep likes going uphill at about 2 mph, that's a lot of 45-55 mph uphill.  Now you do have me thinking about hauling my jeep into the park and touring around once I'm up there.  I too will be watching for pictures!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 2:39am
If my work allows, frankie and I are in!
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 4:43am
Ginny and I have it on our schedule. We may trailer to Loveland. As I mentioned in the PM, we used to ride our bikes up Old Fall River Road and back down Trail Ridge every year. Real fun at 12000 ft in clouds, wind, rain, and cold.
Will need an approximate Park entry time and got to get reservations to enter. That may be a FUBAR for the trip.  Angry
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2020 at 2:40pm
Glad you mentioned that entry time, Terry.  Make reservations for 10AM.  They give a 2 hour grace period so if we were to be delayed by a breakdown or something, we could all still get in if we showed up by noon.  Hope to see you guys there!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 6:33pm
We may drive the back way and meet you at the Dam Store, 9:45- 10:AM.
Just checked, and Fall River Road is plowed and open🤗😁
TERRY
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 7:46pm
That'll work, Terry.  We drove by the Dam store yesterday and their lot was mostly empty and they even have a big turn-around area for RV's and trailers.  I suppose you should tell them if you're leaving a trailer for the day, but it sounds like you'll be without a trailer.  See you the 21st!

I think it is looking like just the three of us jeeps unless Lew and Frankie can come.  I PM'd some of the other local guys, but have yet to hear back by a couple of them.  Others are working.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 9:12pm
We are not able to go.  Week days are full bore with work.  Yuck!  Have fun and post pictures!
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 8:41pm
Katie and Lew, I'm sure sorry you won't be able to make the trip.  Another time perhaps. 

Tom
1949 CJ3A

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 8:01pm
Tom... Really thought I would be able to get away for this event but my shop needs me here more that ever, so I'm not able to make Rocky Mountain NP. Cry Drive the road an extra time for me! Big smile
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>