Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

roll bar... or no

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by snave snave wrote:

2 cents worth from an "old man".
Go to Jeepevans channel on You tube.
Go to his videos. 
Look at the "thumbnail" on Wheelin for Toys 2019.
That's me inside my roll cage. (yes my hand is in the wrong place)
We prefer a six point cage tied to the frame and good belts. 
What looks best is up to the individual, that's understandable. 
We just like for everyone to be safe.

As is written "individual mileage may differ".

Fuzz

I did roll cage to the frame set up for  people. It's a good safe system if one is doing serious wheeling. Years ago there was a video and off-road article showing a Jeep on a mountain run in Colorado.  The Jeep did have a cage bar  but was only attached to the body. Result, body was ripped off the frame along with the roll cage. Body went one way down the cliff and the chassis went another.  

Edited by jeepsterjim - 24 Jan. 2020 at 11:06pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 10:57pm
God makes his plans, the information is unavailable to the mortal man WinkLOL 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 11:06pm

Have seen a wreck off Imogene Pass. No roll bar or roll cage would have made any difference. Suspect the same is true of many, if not all, drops measured in the hundreds of feet.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 11:23pm
  I understand. I’m aware that I would be safer belted up inside a cage. After 30 years of involvement in the old “rough and tumble” world of oval track racing, I can say that the belts and cage saved me from injury or possible death more than once. I know there are a lot of things that I could do to make my Jeep safer, but then it would not be the jeep I love. I might as well buy a Wrongler. (Why would I do that, I already have a Cherokee) Motorcyclists do not wear a cage or strap themselves to their machine. I know some who have been hurt and some who have been killed.  Those who live know and understand the risks involved and choose to continue to ride. I know and understand these risks as well, and my choice is to ride as it was in 1948. If my Jeep was modified to run faster or climb rocks better, then I would probably have a roll bar or cage and some good belts. And better seats, and a collapsible steering column, and, and, and. But that’s not what I want my jeep to be. I like it all original, and enjoy my time in it as it is, even tho there are risks. 
  Aside, I do not leave the yard in the XJ or the C10, or the F250 without my belt fastened, and I was responsible for the passage of a rule at our Volunteer Fire Department - NO truck leaves the station unless everyone inside is buckled up. The new fire trucks won’t even move if there’s an ass in a seat that’s not buckled in. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
47-old-red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 11:53pm
post pics. i dont understand what styles of roll bar actually help 
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:48am
Mine had one when I bought it; I took it off right away. I don't really go wheelin' though, I like to keep my jeep going slow and level.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:58am
I have a roll bar and seat belts.  I would not drive my '46 without them.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 2:19am
Originally posted by 47-old-red 47-old-red wrote:

The first level of roll over protection would be to add a simple hoop that would be bolted to the rear fenders and extend above the occupants heads. This pic of the roll bar in Grandpa's Jeep would be an example of that. It is made out of 1.5" x .120" DOM tubing and weighs in at less than 50 lbs.    

The roll cage in Rojo which I mentioned in an earlier post would be closer to the maximum level of roll over protection that I have seen in a CJ2A. It completely surrounds the occupants, is tied into the frame, and is also made out of the same 1.5" x .120" DOM tubing.

Tube size and placement is typically a compromise between safety, accessibility, and desired look. Hope this helps.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 2:29am
If Stan hits his head on a rock-a rock's gonna get busted..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 2:43am

Here is a few styles roll cages  I made.   These are for a Jeepster Commando.  

Here is a tri-hoop roll cage I did.

Edited by jeepsterjim - 25 Jan. 2020 at 2:52am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Originally posted by 47-old-red 47-old-red wrote:

The first level of roll over protection would be to add a simple hoop that would be bolted to the rear fenders and extend above the occupants heads. This pic of the roll bar in Grandpa's Jeep would be an example of that. It is made out of 1.5" x .120" DOM tubing and weighs in at less than 50 lbs.    

The roll cage in Rojo which I mentioned in an earlier post would be closer to the maximum level of roll over protection that I have seen in a CJ2A. It completely surrounds the occupants, is tied into the frame, and is also made out of the same 1.5" x .120" DOM tubing.

Tube size and placement is typically a compromise between safety, accessibility, and desired look. Hope this helps.

Good examples!.....nice job on the tri-hoop cage.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 11:47am
A good tent is handy when it rains, stable ladder when near the top and a fire extinguisher... Don't need any device until you do.
Back in HS got T-boned in a '63 CJ5 by a VW bug and tipped onto the side - no seatbelts or a roll bar - very lucky.
That being said, my flat fender Jeeps don't have them.  
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 3:56pm
Bike helmets are similar.  When I was a kid no one wore them.  30 years ago they were getting really common, but it just seemed weird, unnecessary and overly constraining, so I kept not wearing one.  Then 20 years ago our pastor fell on his bike and hit his head on the pavement.  He didn't get out of the hospital for a couple of months, and wasn't able to go home for almost 2 years.  He never was anywhere near the same again.

So yeah, it was his head that he was risking.  But his wife, his kids, his grandkids and his friends all had something at stake too.  Everyone lost a lot there.

So although I've never "used" a bike helmet, a roll bar, or really even a seat belt, I do have and use them all.  It might not be worth it to me for my own sake.  But is sure is for the sake of my family.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 4:57pm
What are the cleanest ways to tie a RB to the frame?
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 5:24pm
A few years ago myself and others witnessed a friend lose control of his rollbar equipped 3B. He was not belted in. He exited the trail at a +- 45 deg decline and was pitched out 20-30 yards from the departure and received moderate injuries. The jeep continued down the mtn, clipped another jeep on a lower switchback, continued another 100 or so yards and came to an abrupt stop in a small boulder strewn crevice. 50 to zero in an instant. The B never rolled but was destroyed. Had he been belted in chances for survival were none. When it's your time, well it's your time. Fortunately for him it was not his time.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2020 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I might as well buy a Wrongler.

Hey, wait a minute....  I couldn't buy a CJ-5 brand new in '89 so I HAD to get the WrAngler!  Smile

There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Tom in RI Tom in RI wrote:

What are the cleanest ways to tie a RB to the frame?

Here is a pic of how we tied the roll cage mounts on Rojo into the frame. The mount by the tailgate is pretty easily done because there is room to sneak a tube running from the roll bar mount to the frame. This tube is 1 1/2" square tubing. The mount right behind the front seats is tough...especially if narrow track axles are used which limits the clearance between the inner fenderwell and the tire. Combine that lack of clearance with the frame being a few inches inside of the rear floorboard and it is tough to carry the load without the support being heavy. In this case the material used was 1/2" x 4" flat iron. The frame tie in for the front hoop of the cage was made with the same 1 1/2" square tubing. It is cantilevered quite a bit off the frame so we strengthened the frame surface with 1/4" plate to spread the load out on the thin wall of the frame.

The frame width for Elmo is wider, more robust, and designed to more readily accept roll cage and rock slider mounts so it might not be quite as applicable for folks running stock frames, but maybe some ideas may generated by a couple pics of what we did. The axles are also going to be wider so the inner fenderwell clearance is opened up a little.

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 11:33am
I have a roll bar on my 52 and it serves a multitude of functions.  I've never rolled my Jeep, but I feel that if I did, I'd have a chance of surviving with the bar in place.  I use it for tieing gear inside the Jeep. It serves as a grab handle for my rear seat passengers.  Sometimes it holds up my bikini top. And it serves as a handhold for folks climbing into or jumping out of the back of my Jeep.  I like the look of it on my Jeep.  I'm a fairly conservative driver in my advancing years, but I still do a lot of mountain driving in the Jeep. Having the bar behind me gives me some piece of mind. 

I'd say consider your driving style, and where you like to go. Also think about the different styles of roll bars out there and if you decide to get one, get one that serves other functions as well. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>