Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roll bar public service announcement!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roll bar public service announcement!
    Posted: 22 June 2021 at 7:29am
I bought a 48 cj2a last week at an auction for a flipper. Had some parts that I needed for some other projects so I thought what the heck. Among the goodies was a old smittybuilt roll bar for my 13 yrolds 2a deer stand. But it was held to the wheel wells by sheet metal screws!!!! Sheet metal screws are not appropriate!! Use the correct hardware and reinforcement plates. Just when you have seen it all ,you haven't. Thought I would share.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 8:02am
Whaaat? No duct tape??
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 8:29am
MY Rollbar made to NHRA standards (tubing and welds) is on full size 1/4" Boiler plate that covers the whole top of the Wheel house. It has Phenolic spacers to flatten the rolls in the top of the wheel houses. Then 1/4" Boiler plate backing underneath And Grade 10.9 Metric Button head bolts with lock washers and Nylon Lock nuts.

Some of the stuff I have seen over the years wouldn't make a decent light bar.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 11:01am
The common "roll bars" found on most of these Jeeps only provide minimum protection in a light roll over anyway and that is when they are properly attached to a sound body. 

My CJ2A has one that is bolted to the wheel houses with 3/4" bolts and 1/4" backing plates, but the tub is so rotten I don't think it would provide much protection in a roll over. I think the wheel houses would fold.

It is a nice place to attach a bikini top though.

They are better than nothing, but a real roll bar, or preferably roll cage, needs frame attachment. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 3:27pm
Pictures???
 Post Reply Post Reply