Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ron Rader has passed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ron Rader has passed
    Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 11:59am
My father-in-law was in an accident in his CJ2A and died from his injuries this past Wednesday night. He was on his way home from the farm in Ortonville he grew up on. He had been bow hunting there, so at least he spent his last day doing what he loved and died driving his favorite vehicle. I wish he had installed seat belts and a roll bar, but has been driving CJ2A's since the 60's and knew the perils. Here's an article from the Free Press a couple of pics from a few years back when we were cutting wood at his place.
Ron sold us the Jeep we own now and helped me get it running again. He bought it around 1970. The Jeep he was driving was his 2nd Cj2A. There's an article about Ron and our Jeep in The Dispatcher magazine. Ron was a Navy vet and Boiler Tender on the Salisbury Sound. He also retired out of the Navy Reserves. He was a Journeyman welder, and the most organized person I have ever met. He was a Supervisor of maintenance at a General Motors Stamping plant and after retiring from GM, went to Argentina and headed up the Maintenance department at the Jeep Cherokee plant in Cordoba for 4 or 5 years.  
One funny thing about Ron: He could fall asleep anytime, anywhere, instantly. He would tell me, "Hey wake me up in 15 minutes," then fall instantly asleep. He said he learned that in the Navy.

He was an exceptional man.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/topic/Ronald_Rader/ 

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:38pm
From another Navy vet, fair winds and following seas, Ron. Condolences to your family. It sounds like he went on his own terms. He'll rest peacefully.

Edited by SlaterDoc - 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:39pm
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:41pm
Sad news, sorry for your loss.

I installed a roll bar and belts in my CJ2A last year, and keep planning on installing them in my CJ5. I have a roll bar in the barn for this, just haven't gotten around to installing it.

Reading this gives me some incentive to get it done, think I will start on it today.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 1:07pm
Sorry for your loss 🥲

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 3:32pm
Condolences to you and your family. 
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 3:54pm
Very sad.  He sounds like a great guy.  I hope your family is doing ok, given the circumstances.
Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 4:39pm
Always hate hearing stories like this Cry
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 4:41pm
Sorry for your loss.
DMusil
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 6:21pm
We always want to play the "what if" game, it's human nature, that being said I've been in the emergency services since I was 18 and have seen a lot.  When your number is up it's up.  He sounds like he checked out doing what he loved. That's more then a lot of folks get.   Never easy for those left behind though. Prayers for your family.  
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 7:36pm
This hit home for me... I'm always out with the kids, no roll bar, no seat belts... Really makes me think. I'm so sorry.
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 8:07pm
Sorry to hear that Dean. Glad he was doing what he loved. 

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 10:12pm
Sorry for your loss. Grace and peace to you and his loved ones.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 8:27am
RIP Ron I'm a HUGE proponent of Belts and Bars in CJ's as was my Dad clear back in the early 60's
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 9:24am
I am sorry to hear of your loss.
As you said "he spent his last day doing what he loved". That is a blessing for sure.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 10:30am
I'm also a huge proponent of seat belts and a roll bar. Mine has a simple bolt in bar and seat belts front and rear. We rolled down a hill last fall. Rolled over twice. My son in the passenger seat and my cousin's two girls in the back seat. No one was hurt. Ironically, Ron gave me the roll bar. I only installed it to avoid wearing helmets at Silver Lake Sand Dunes, but have since realized just how much safer it is with them. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
dadsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2021 at 4:30pm
     Dean, from this retired Air Force Vet, I hope Ron receives a Full Military Honors service.  Keep his Jeeping  spirit with you and yours Always. Maybe a yearly memorial drive in his name would be a great honor for him and all other flat fender folks that have passed.  Thoughts and prayers for you and the family.   Terry
Terry in Maine

'46 CJ2A J-80966

'53 CJ3A 453-GB1 12564
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 9:52am
Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. He will be buried in the local military cemetery in Holly, MI. A memorial drive in his honor does sound like a great idea. I'll think about that. Thanks again!
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 6:02pm
My condolences Dean.  Any information on the mishap?  I hope he had not rebuilt his Ross box with certain parts.

I'm another who will not get in a Jeep-any Jeep-without a roll bar or cage and seat belts.  One largely controls their own destiny off road but the same is absolutely not true on public roads. 
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>