Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ross Steering Worm Gear Shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ross Steering Worm Gear Shaft
    Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 10:34pm
After deciding to rebuild my 48CJ2A Ross steering box I called Walck's to order parts.  The only part they couldn't supply was the 40-1/2 inch worm gear shaft.  They said the shaft has not been available for months.  So I called Kaiser-Willys who had the shaft in stock.  After the worm gear shaft arrived I laid it alongside the shaft I had removed, which appears to be the original part.  The worm gear segment of new shaft looked, to me at least, different from the original:  different in the spiral and the quality of the machining.  I installed the new shaft in the box for a test fit, adjusted the shims, slid in the new sector shaft, installed the side plate and set the sector adjustment screw according to the advice of a CJ2A Forum member "Metalworker" in his video on rebuilding the steering box.

Result:  The steering wheel would only turn through two revolutions and the sector shaft would only travel from the center of the worm in an arc to the end of travel on the right side of the box -- about one-half the total required distance.  So, I pulled that shaft, and reinstalled the old shaft with the new sector shaft.  Voila, four revolutions of the steering wheel and full range of sector shaft motion from left side through the middle to the right side.  Clearly, as I suspected, something is not right with the worm contour.

So, my question:  Walck's doesn't have the shaft; the shaft from K-W doesn't work; to whom do I go for a good worm gear shaft?
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 10:41pm
DeBella ?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2021 at 11:20pm
I've bought often from military vendors.  
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 12:03am
If your original worm shaft works, even a worn original is better than OMIX-ADA Asian import junk.

With the new sector, how well does it work with the original worm? 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 7:21am
I'm not sure why they are still selling those worms. I sent mine back to them. I ended up taking a original out of a pickup steering box and shortening it to fit. It was like new but too long. I had my friend at a shop cut it and step it on his lathe. I then drilled holes through the step and welded it myself. It's my bad if it breaks. I'm not too worried about that. The reproduction is terrible. There are two sizes of steering boxes, so compare before you cut. Because of liability, most shops won't do this. Kind of stupid to sell a steering part that is a problem to begin with. So, what happens in your shop, stays in your shop. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 8:19am
Yes I agree with oilleaker.
I had to build one Ross box with a good tube from one and a good spiral cam (worm) from another.
TIG welded them myself and unofficially pronounced it to be “Far Superior” to any reproduction that can be bought.

Edited by oldtime - 23 Sep. 2021 at 8:20am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 1:37pm
Update:  KaiserWillys is accepting the return of the shaft with prepaid UPS and full refund.  Peter DeBella and Ron Fitzpatrick do not have the shaft and no idea when that will change.

Unless I can find a vendor who has a new shaft, I'll replace the old one and use the new bearings, bushings, and sector shaft and live with loose steering until new shafts are available.
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 1:40pm
Good on ya for sending back the junk. I'll bet you find that using your old worm and refurbing with quality bearings/bushings/sector your ross will tighten up.

Edited by muley - 23 Sep. 2021 at 1:41pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

Good on ya for sending back the junk. I'll bet you find that using your old worm and refurbing with quality bearings/bushings/sector your ross will tighten up.

x2 on both accounts-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

Unfortunately the old worm gear is worn in the center.  When the new sector shaft is adjusted to reduce play in the center, the adjustment is too tight at the ends of the travel.  So, I set the adjustment for the ends of travel and accept that the center will be loose, ie: the sector shaft will move in and out.  This is the opposite of the recommended adjustment which is to have a slight drag through the center and free at the ends of the sector shaft travel.

I'm still looking for a new shaft. I've gotten a few leads on possible sources for the shaft.
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 3:17pm
Look into a Tight Steer that takes the place of the sector adjuster. It's spring loaded. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2021 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Look into a Tight Steer that takes the place of the sector adjuster. It's spring loaded. 

I've got a Tightsteer which is a slight improvement over the stock sector adjustment.  With the Tightsteer is adjusted for a slight drag at the ends of travel, the center is still too loose.
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply