Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubicon 2021 - July 25 - 27 - Event Date: 25 July 2021 - 31 July 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madbrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 9:19pm
He was a totally cool surfer dude that perhaps had probably drank a smidgeon more Mountain Dew than he should have but he and his wife were there to entertain and help where possible. I don't think I have ever seen anyone stack rocks as fast as he did and was encouraged by his scantily clad wife non stop. He claimed he had just driven a totally stock GPW through the trail a few days before. He (Glen Pake) was/is one of the hosts of Truck Night in America and was an extremely pleasant fellow even though he was a tad over the top.
45 MB
56 Willys Fruit Salad
64 Kaiser CJ3B

My Videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/madbritwillys56/videos
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

My strategy was to take the line that he pulled all the rocks out of.

LOL That's what I would have done too......"oh I thought you were moving those out of the way!"Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 8:05am
This is the first part of day 3

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 6:38pm
I thoroughly enjoy watching those like jpets grandson who just let the Jeep idle along and up and over obstacles. No need to push the clutch pedal in and start/stop when going over every bump and rock. Let the Jeep do the work for you.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 7:09pm
Here is my final installment:

Sorry to those in the middle or back of the group. Since I was up front, I got more footage of the Jeeps up front but I look forward to videos from the other participants and some different perspectives.

I feel very blessed to have done this trail three times now. I thought it was by far easier this time. (Maybe because I didn’t do as much driving). I would do the trail again but I’d have to change it up a little. Next time, I’d prefer to start at Wentworth springs and maybe not drive so aggressively to get out there. The hardest part by far is the drive out and back. Thanks to Wade, Rachael, and Andi for going with us.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
madbrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madbrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 8:09pm
Thank you Jeff for putting this trip together. I agree about the drive to and from. I have driven that route many times and can't ever remember that much traffic and roadworks. I certainly have never seen so many RVs, campers, and overlanders. I have already planned an extra day to get to the CFFC.
45 MB
56 Willys Fruit Salad
64 Kaiser CJ3B

My Videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/madbritwillys56/videos
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 9:00pm
Great videos. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fun adventure.

I would love to do that some day. I just don't know if my bone stock 2A could make it and what would be left of her is she did. 

Micah 
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 9:15pm
I would be interested in hearing from you guys as to what jeeps you thought performed the best under these conditions.  Such as did the wide track jeeps have an advantage over the stock, did the fat 'mudder' tires do as well as the skinnier tires.  Did anybody run a stock engine/drivetrain (it's hard to tell just what is going on under the hood!)?  I know some of you have engines other that the L134...can the 134 keep up?  That off-white jeep with the agri tires looked pretty capable - what's the story on that one?  Can you guys do a post-mortem on the event and what you learned about what performs?  Thanks a lot, great pics and vids!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 9:48pm
I only watched the first two parts so far. Great stuff guys !
You all did an admirable job cranking on those steering wheels.

So far to me it looks like Bam Bam has the best gears, “cool”
tires and is well suspended.
Gus no doubt has the “cool” engine and likely his tires perform as well or better than most. Almost to the point of “high center of gravity”.
If I’m not mistaken Wade’s latest rig should be set up pretty well too.
So Wade,  did your newest rig earn it’s name yet ? Maybe call it “Amber Camber”  or something crazy ?

Not really familiar with any of the other Jeeps.
So yeah guys tell us more; we need to know.

Edited by oldtime - 05 Aug. 2021 at 10:19pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

That off-white jeep with the agri tires looked pretty capable - what's the story on that one?  Can you guys do a post-mortem on the event and what you learned about what performs?  

That's my Jeep! If you search "The Submarine Jeep" in the modified section you'll find it. I was running a stock L134 with a T18 transmission and Teralow D18 tcase. Stock axles with welded differentials. My crawl ratio in 1st gear is 107:1. 

It was my first time driving this setup. Overall I was ecstatic how the Jeep performed over the Rubicon. I felt the trail was fairly easy and I only struggled on a few sections where extra ground clearance was key. I noticed others with the factory 3 speed trans and Teralow tcase gears did fine, but definitely hit rocks much harder. I was able to let the Jeep chug along while I simply steered.

On the Rubicon I wouldn't have changed a single aspect of the build as I was so satisfied. Once we hit Moab and Colorado with steep hills, I was extremely frustrated with the lack of horsepower. It got the job done... but very slowly in 1st gear. If I was to redo the build without going overkill, I would use a 4.3 V6 like jpet and Mad Brit. Great horsepower without worrying about driveline length and snapping driveshafts and axles.
Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2021 at 7:59pm
Nick,

Was it a job stearing that lincoln locked front end?

1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Chicodave Chicodave wrote:

Nick,
Was it a job stearing that lincoln locked front end?
A bit harder than stock, not bad at all. My original plan was to add an electric power steering column but ran out of time.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by madbrit madbrit wrote:

He was a totally cool surfer dude that perhaps had probably drank a smidgeon more Mountain Dew than he should have but he and his wife were there to entertain and help where possible. I don't think I have ever seen anyone stack rocks as fast as he did and was encouraged by his scantily clad wife non stop. He claimed he had just driven a totally stock GPW through the trail a few days before. He (Glen Pake) was/is one of the hosts of Truck Night in America and was an extremely pleasant fellow even though he was a tad over the top.

I looked this guy up on the intergoogles because he seemed just too familiar. Because I am of the MTV generation, I recognized him from something back when the M in MTV stood for music. He was/is some kind of extreme skier and had a memorable look. If you can imagine all that blonde hair swept up in a multicolored mohawk, that was him!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2021 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Originally posted by madbrit madbrit wrote:

I looked this guy up on the intergoogles because he seemed just too familiar. Because I am of the MTV generation, I recognized him from something back when the M in MTV stood for music. He was/is some kind of extreme skier and had a memorable look. If you can imagine all that blonde hair swept up in a multicolored mohawk, that was him!

Are you referring to Glen Plake?  He was all over the ski scene in the '70's.  Articles on him, films with him starring.  He was maybe the best extreme skier on the planet.  Think skiing down the Matterhorn or Grand Teton kind of stuff.  About a 10 inch mohawk glued into a pointy spiked mass.  The guy is a legend.  I wondered whatever happened to Glen.  I guess he must be a jeep trail manager of some sort now.  (ps: how did these guys not get a photo of the wife???)

Edited by aboyandhisdog - 07 Aug. 2021 at 8:11pm
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 9:43am
I just finished getting through Jeff's Rubicon videos.  So cool, and so bummed I couldn't go this year!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2021 at 1:30pm
Here's my first video installment of this trip.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2021 at 8:47am
Thanks for sharing Rick. Great footage! 
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2021 at 6:03pm
Here's the info on Gus for those who don't know about him.

L134
Carter WO carb
Dana 25 with Lock Right locker
Dana 18 transfer case with RockEater gears 
T90C transmission
Dana 44 full floating axles with OX air actuated locker (first time thru with the D44, prior 2 times was with the D41)
I used to have a little lift on Gus, but the springs are probably a little saggy now, still about an inch over stock tho
and, of course, the big super swamper tires.  they are too stiff, but I appreciate the additional ground clearance, especially on a trail like the Rubicon.
crawl ratio 65:1

This was my third time to run the Rubicon as well.  I thought this was the easiest one yet, although the second time was pretty easy also.  I will say, the first time kicked my butt.  The hardest thing for me about the Rubicon is Nevada.  It's a looooooong way up thru that state and there's nothing there but area 51 and a few wild donkeys.  I don't know if I'll make it back to the Rubicon, just because it is such a long drive out there, but I really enjoy the trail.  In fact, if I do ever make it back, I'd like to take my time and enjoy the scenery and the camp spots.  I like Buck Island and would like to spend a couple of days just hanging out there.  

I really enjoyed meeting all the new folks and hope to meet up with ya'll again sometime on another trail.  Here's my "back of the pack" final video.  

oh yeah, my vote for the name of Wade's new ride is "Colonel Mustard"   Thumbs Up

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>