Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubicon 2021 - July 25 - 27 - Event Date: 25 July 2021 - 31 July 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 6:01pm
I'd love to go along if you'll allow a non-Jeep on the trail.  I'll try not to slow you down too much.

ETA: I'd even make breakfast one morning

Edited by Nothing Special - 15 Apr. 2020 at 6:06pm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 7:57pm
I have a friend that may be interested in coming along and would also do Fordyce if he was to come.

Id keep an eye on the flow through the river crossings as they can flow hard (will cover a 40") up till August.
Real time flows can be found here. In Cubic Feet/Second

jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 8:08pm
What creek does it cross?
Jay

Originally posted by littlesteve littlesteve wrote:

I have a friend that may be interested in coming along and would also do Fordyce if he was to come.

Id keep an eye on the flow through the river crossings as they can flow hard (will cover a 40") up till August.
Real time flows can be found here. In Cubic Feet/Second

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Jay

Fordyce Creek.  That's the entire name of the trail
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 8:50pm

Jay

There are several crossings on the trail. 

I think you should all consider Dusy Ershim too, its not as challenging as the other two but is quiet and stunning
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 9:36pm
I'm glad we have so many people on board for this. So Jeff plans July 25-27th for going through the Rubicon. Those who want to can go backwards through the Rubicon to reach their trailers. Fordyce trail after. The dates would be 25th-31st?

Bring on the deep water crossings! I'll tow everyone across for a steak dinner.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Nick_ Nick_ wrote:

I'm glad we have so many people on board for this. So Jeff plans July 25-27th for going through the Rubicon. Those who want to can go backwards through the Rubicon to reach their trailers. Fordyce trail after. The dates would be 25th-31st?

Bring on the deep water crossings! I'll tow everyone across for a steak dinner.

That's the dates for this year though? 
I thought we were all talking about next year.

I cant do this year...

Book flights,
Find a rig,
Bully friends into letting me stay,
Convince the wife to have some time off,
All takes a lot of doing.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by littlesteve littlesteve wrote:

That's the dates for this year though? 
I thought we were all talking about next year.
We're talking 2021. July 25th is a Sunday, and July 31st is the following Saturday. I've never been that way so I'm not sure how much time we need, I'm going off Jeff's post.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2020 at 11:17pm
The more rigs we have, the more time it will take.  It will take the better part of 2 full days to get a half dozen jeeps thru the Rubicon going one way without incident.  Figure in more rigs and more potential for breakdowns...more time.

I have no idea about Fordyce or the other trail.  I watched a few Fordyce videos and you’re not kidding about the creek crossings!  Wow...my toolbox is gonna get wet!  And I have the tallest ride of the locker/stocker classShocked
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 1:10am
The more rigs, the more video taping too. We did spend a lot of time video taping but I think it was appreciated. Last time, I think we lost around 2 hours or so due to breakdowns/roll overs. We did spend over two hours at the soup bowl playing.   Our goal was to make it to Rubicon Springs Monday evening and spend a little time there. We did make it, but it was close to dusk. We had enough time to get cleaned up, get something to eat, and get to bed.   I don’t care how long it takes to get through the trail. If we get a lot of jeeps, maybe some that want to move faster can go ahead.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 1:45am
The power company controls the water level at Fordyce Creek and I have been told that they drop the water level for the Jamboree so this should be a good time to do the trail .... if there is a good time to do it with 30” tires.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 3:45am
I'd Love to hit the Rubicon again, this time in flatfender.  The ride after the observation point is long, jarring and no fun, but do the trail backwards?  Right after getting through all the tough stuff?  That sounds pretty daunting.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 5:58am
I hear from a friend with a YJ on 40’s that Fordyce is tough on a short wheel based jeeps and the creek crossing can be down right scary. 
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 9:44am

I hear from a friend with a YJ on 40’s that Fordyce is tough on a short wheel based jeeps and the creek crossing can be down right scary. 
Jay

There are ways round that with controlled winching. I mean, obviously it would pay to check the flow rate before hand and choose to come back another time but if its low but still causing concern you can be assisted across in a breeches buoy type manor.

Edited by littlesteve - 16 Apr. 2020 at 2:17pm
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 11:43am
I’ve never been there but a winch would be fine with me. Even if you were completely waterproof, that current can whisk you away.

Couple examples,
Good:

He crosses around 30 seconds in but the video is spliced so he must have had some kind of trouble.

bad:

Edited by jpet - 16 Apr. 2020 at 11:45am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I’ve never been there but a winch would be fine with me. Even if you were completely waterproof, that current can whisk you away.
Yikes. Looks exciting.

Something to consider after this crossing all our gear oil + wheel bearings will be contaminated. Those without waterproofing will have to check their distributor, battery, and intake.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 5:53pm
A lot can happen between now and summer 2021, but if you all are going then so am I. unless...

That having been said, I'm not very interested in swift water crossing that is going to be coming in over the door opening. 
i'd rather drive to Moab and run Kane Creek.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2020 at 7:25pm
I already have a friend looking for a Jeep of some description for me.

Found one that's ideal

jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>