Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running Dauntless value?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running Dauntless value?
    Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 8:26pm
I was told about a CJ5 with a "start it up and drive it" Dauntless.  I believe it's a '64.  I have not looked at the Jeep yet, but I know what he's asking for it.  I know there can be a lot of variables, but am just wondering what a running Dauntless drive train is worth.  I'm just assuming the worst about the frame and body. 

*Edit - I'm told it has a plow on it.  Might have a cab too.  I'll have to verify that.

Edited by Freedom21 - 30 Jan. 2018 at 8:48pm
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 9:10pm
I've paid 400 for a cj5 with running v6 drivetrain, actually two of them now. Both had plows and one a full hardtop the other a half cab. Have paid 500 for just a running odd fire from a yard. Both whole jeeps were pretty shot otherwise.

Also, i recently bought a supposed low mileage good running 67 225 from a skylark. Paid 225 for it. However it had a burnt valve and a cracked head. (I got lied to)

Edited by BryanB - 30 Jan. 2018 at 9:12pm
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by BryanB BryanB wrote:

I've paid 400 for a cj5 with running v6 drivetrain, actually two of them now. Both had plows and one a full hardtop the other a half cab. Have paid 500 for just a running odd fire from a yard. Both whole jeeps were pretty shot otherwise.

So under $1000 for 2 V6 CJ5's, 2 plows, hardtops.
Why can't I find these deals?
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 9:16pm
Haha yup clear titles too!
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 9:18pm
I'm going to see if I can go look at this one in the next couple nights.  I'll update once I do.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 11:40pm
I picked up my Dauntless in Kalispell, MT for $100. It was supposed to be a running motor, but once I got it opened up to look at it, not so much...

Total spent to get it running was about $600
Cam
lifters
honed cylinders
rings
gaskets

all said and done, about $700 plus a 400 mile western Montana road trip to pick it up, but that's 'joyriding', not an expense. Big smile

That said, there's a 'hear it run' on craigslist out in Cheney for $750. Pretty close to what I paid, but I know mine is a good motor, not just a running motor.

A couple of hard learned lessons I can pass on that may save you some grief (you may already know these):
  • Don't pay a premium price for a 'rebuilt motor' if the owner can't produce receipts. Without receipts, there's no proof to back up the claim.
  • "Low miles" on a motor that's been sitting for more than a few years translates directly to "you're going to need to replace every seal and gasket in the motor, and the carb is probably gummed up to the point of replacement". Ditto mechanical fuel pumps.
  • If they won't let you pull the oil drain plug, it wasn't "stored indoors". At least pull the dipstick. The one I bought didn't have one - guess what that meant.

Good luck! I hope you score a winner!

Les

Edited by LesBerg - 30 Jan. 2018 at 11:53pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 3:49am
Thanks for the advice, Les.  I really appreciate it.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 3:32pm
Saw this for sale

wants 1K for everything. no carb, doesn't look like it has been protected from the rain... we all know what that means

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Saw this for sale

wants 1K for everything. no carb, doesn't look like it has been protected from the rain... we all know what that means

Well, it does have an ammo can.  So....LOL
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 9:59pm
Big smileRan when parked! Clap  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 3:03am
So I went and looked at the CJ5 tonight.  It's a 1968.  It turns out, the seller is someone who went to school with my brother and I went to school with the sellers younger brother.  The body is pretty rough, but honestly not as bad as I expected.  It's been their plow Jeep for years, but they upgraded to a '79 CJ.  :)  I drove it around in their field and it seemed to run good.  The frame is surprisingly solid.  I think because it's been their plow Jeep, it likely hasn't seen the salty Michigan roads in 20 years.  

The plow is hydraulic with a newer piston.  The plow raised and lowered and turned left and right without issue.  The bad:  The body is rough, as I said.  Their are no brakes, which I don't feel is a big deal.  Brakes should be easy enough.  My biggest concern is the lack of 1st gear.  Since it's their plow Jeep, they just leave it in 4L and start off in 2nd gear.  Sorry, it was getting dark by the time I got there, so I didn't bother getting any pictures.  I was using a light to look under and inside.

He wants $500 for it.  With (as far as I could tell) a good motor, frame and plow it is obviously worth $500.  But I know nothing about transmissions and the lack of 1st gear is making me wonder if I should bother with this.  Any opinions or advice?
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 3:23am
A good transmission shouldn't be that hard to find--or fix.  The only problem is it sounds like all it needs is a new body and the tranny fix.  That's something you would want for a project, not parts.  Buy it.  Fix it.  Sell it and buy parts for "Lefty".  That's what I'd do--FWIW.  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 3:45am
My plan for it would be to make it more of an off-roader and something my daughter could wheel at some point.  My daughter is going to be 14 in the spring and is already excited about this thing.  She's going to start working on the projects with me and is already interested in learning to weld.  I've helped her spot weld a couple little things and she now gets a little upset with me when I weld anything without her.  So this appears to be a pretty good candidate for an inexpensive off-road rig.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 11:21am
For $500, you really can't go wrong.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

For $500, you really can't go wrong.

^This Tongue... I've made bigger mistakes and gotten far less LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 3:33pm
Running Dauntless alone is certainly worth $500.
It's just about the ideal engine for any CJ.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 4:03pm
Seriously, you drove it and I don't recall you saying "dog", or rapping or knocking, or fogging mosquitos...  I'm not even in the market and might be inclined to pick it up if I had stumbled across it.

YMMV
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 5:03pm
Yeah, I think it's worth getting.  I had told him that if I decide I want it, I'll let him know and I'll go pick it up over the weekend.  Once I get it home, I'll post pictures.

How hard is it to fix/rebuild a T-90?  They appear pretty simple.  Am I wrong?
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>