Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rusted spark plug removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beninky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rusted spark plug removal
    Posted: 31 Mar. 2021 at 9:35pm
Will localized heating with a MAP gas torch around the spark plugs damage the head?
Thanks in advance for your help, Ben.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2021 at 11:18pm
No. I use MAP gas for rusted fasteners all the time. No problems so far. That head will dissipate the heat faster than your torch can heat it up to dangerous temperatures. 
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 12:17am
Yes, just heat the plug.
john
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 12:51am
And then, when they snap off down in there -

you just take the Head off. Stick a bolt through from the top side and weld it to the plugs' threaded remnants, and unscrew them using the bolt. It'll be fun -

This will then give you a great opportunity to work on a myriad of other things that now will become much more accessible....

(Just intended mostly for humor - hoping you successfully get them to come out 'whole.')

Beninky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beninky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 3:40pm
Thanks.  I understand completely.  LOL
Great next step, by the way.  Trying to avoid pulling the head, but the motor’s stuck.  I ordered a borescope (NIDAGE wireless) and plan to take a look inside the cylinders when I get the plugs out.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 4:23pm
Is that borescope real flexible?  Because the spark plugs are above the valves on a flathead
Mike in AZ
Beninky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beninky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Is that borescope real flexible?  Because the spark plugs are above the valves on a flathead
Confused Not that flexible for sure!  It does have a side view mirror, so maybe I can see something of the condition of the cylinder walls at the top edge.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2021 at 5:18pm
Bite the bullet and pull the head.They are fun to break loose and do weigh some. (I don't want to  deal  with my I8 head in the Buick, bad head gasket). 
It will let you inspect all of the other parts.
The gaskets are relatively cheap.
john
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 8:35pm
You won't be able to see much with a scope, but we all have our own ideas about "fun".

I have had success freeing up stuck engines many times over the years by squirting a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil into the bores and letting is sit a couple of weeks, but of course you have to remove that plug, or pull the head before you can do that.

I just freed up a F134 in a low mileage CJ5 which had sat in storage for over 40 years and it now spins over with the starter as it should. Working on getting spark and juice to it today hoping to get it to start.

Edited by Oldpappy - 02 Apr. 2021 at 8:37pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply