Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

S/N 10371 Barn find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2006 at 7:16pm
Low,
Good idea, I attached the link to my signature.
I'll put some more pics in over the next week or so.
I've started scooping out the sludge with putty knives and I cant believe how thick it is!
I also added pics of the frame horns where there are several pieces of metal welded on, extending the frame to protect the PTO setup.
Long term, I really want to be able to remove the PTO transmission, hydraulic pump, and all those plates to get the front back to a normal look (I hate the look of the oil tank).
It would take some careful grinding to remove the welds but I think it can be done. I wont know for sure until it's cleaned up.
Once the majority of the sludge is off, I plan to scrub it down with mild soap and water and soft brushes for now. I had originally planned on pressure washing and/or steam cleaning but I think I'm going to go slow and easy for now.
        - Matt

P.S. - I sat in it for a while last night after taking a bunch of pics. I know it's a long way off but I'm dying to take this for a spin around town!!!!!

Edited by connoman59 - 17 Nov. 2006 at 7:16pm
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2006 at 9:32pm
Thumbs%20Up Wink Big%20smile Smile 
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2006 at 11:29pm

Matt:

All I can say is "holy crap"!  What a find! That is an engineering time capsule!  Congrats and good luck. 

I agree with the earlier post suggesting that you try to keep the bucket loader as part of the restoration.  That is "some kind of contraption"! 

Thanks for all the pictures too.  I have a '46 (#13396 column shifter) so our jeeps have a lot in common and your pictures are answering/ confirming some questions/issues that I have been wondering about.

Thanks for sharing.  

chris

2A #13396
Timberwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2006 at 6:33pm
If S/N 10371 came with slotted rims when were the solid rims used? Thanks
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2006 at 8:21pm
Timberwolf;

I've been asking that question too.

I have an early '46 with slotted wheels.  I was under the impression that the wheels on my jeep were not original because I was told that the earliest CJ's (especially the jeeps with the earlier "floating rear axle", which my jeep has) had solid wheels.   But ... I ran into an "old-timer" at a local jeep meet this summer who told me that the wheels on my jeep are the original wheels.  He said that Willys used whatever they had on hand at assembly (solid or slotted) in the early days of production; even on 45 CJ's.   According to him, it's possible to have a "very early CJ" with slotted wheels that are the original wheels. 

That was news to me. 

Based on what I have learned since talking to him, this sounds entirely correct.  S/N 10371 seems even further proof that the guy I met this summer "knew his stuff".

So when did they stop using them?  Well, the answer seems to be that Willys never exclusively used solid wheels to begin with.   But there are fewer and fewer "solid wheel jeeps" the closer you get to my jeep (#13396).  It certainly seems like Willys stopped using (ran out of?) solid wheels by the time they ran out of the "MB" style tubs (around #29000).  My feeling is that they stopped using the solid rims at about the same time they switched the rear axles (more or less about #13500).

But ... I'm relatively new to this.  Maybe someone else has better info.  I know I'd like a more complete answer to the question. 

Sorry for the "long winded" post. 

Hope I helped out a little.
chris

2A #13396
connoman59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2006 at 7:17pm
I couldnt leave the loader attachment on her, it was stressing her out!
The front springs are so fatigued from all the extra weight that the tie rods were rubbing the leaf springs.
Now that the weight has been reduced, they dont rub anymore.
If Willys had designed it, I'm sure extra leafs would've been added to hold the load. I honestly think it was carrying an extra 1500 lbs!
I just uploaded some new pics taken outdoors, she's starting to look like a CJ2A again!
I also made an attempt to wash her but soap and water did almost nothing. I get the feeling it'll take quite a bit of time and degreaser to get her clean.
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
(Name Blocked) View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (Name Blocked) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2006 at 7:42pm
Nice looking Jeep and that front loader was a hoot to look at.  I have had Jeep were guys have carried 1/4 yard of concrete or more in the cargo area.  They put a board between the two wheel wells. 
Still a nice find.  Enjoy working on it and bringing it back to life
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2006 at 7:49pm
This is kind of like watching a soap opera on  TV, I keep checking for a new installment... I think I'm addicted! Keep 'em coming!

I got involved in a tractor restoration some time back, cleaning it up was a chore but I was getting pretty good at by the time I got done. I used a pneumatic gasket scraper to get the thick gunk off, followed by a pneumatic needle scaler. ( You can do the same thing with a screwdriver, putty knife, and wire brush but it is terribly slow and no fun at all.) Then  I used a engine cleaning gun (siphon gun) and mineral spirits and a good stiff brush. I looked like a coal miner but the tractor was clean.

That hole in the windshield frame with a big block of wood behind it is intriguing, any idea what it's function was?

CJAlaska

(Name Blocked) View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (Name Blocked) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2006 at 8:03pm
You have not lived until you get a Jeep that has z bart all over it even the frame.  the guy used pieces of steel to cover the holes and sprayed away leveling it all out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2006 at 10:35pm
CJAlaska,
I'm not absolutely positive but I believe the hole in the windshield frame could have been a first attempt at a bell crank type mechanical control of the pump to raise & lower the bucket. Currently, the control is a bell crank that extends to the drivers left hand with brackets mounted on the left fender and side mirror support.
I also believe the hole could have been to support a pipe to refill the hydraulic fluid reservoir from the inside of the Jeep.
If you look directly out the hole, it lines up with the "T" fitting on top of the reservoir, the wood is also oil soaked and there were several open oil cans in the back!
Something definitely was in the hole for a while as the sheetmetal edges are peened over. The wood block was probably added to stop the wear!
I will be in touch with the family that owned it and the windshield frame hole is one of the questions I was hoping to get clarification on.
     -Matt
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2006 at 2:54am
Boy, I had to go back and read this again. I hope we get an update soon
1946 CJ2A veh id#70146
http://nelsonthejeep.myphotoalbum.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 6:01pm

Progress will probably be slow as I have many other projects in the works but I promise I'll update the pics soon! This thing has been a bear to clean, I've been spraying the grime with WD40 to help loosen it up. It seems like the greasy buildup is dehydrated and really stuck on there, this is gonna take a while.

I also plan on pulling the plugs and oiling the cylinders down so they can soak for a while, maybe a little KROIL will free things up?

If anyone is interested in looking at her sometime, drop me a PM and we'll arrange something.

45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 6:03pm
pull the plugs, and put 8-10 ounces of kerosene down each cylinder....low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 6:51pm
Matt,
 Good to here your still at it!! although slowly. It took 60 years to get that dirty, (well, 15 if it sat for the last 45). Going slow on that Jeep is probably a blessing in disguise. The problem with WD40 is it evaporates quickly. I think low has the better product to put on it to break the grease down over time. That or deisel fuel. I wonder what the original problem was that left this in the Barn for all those years.??? have you turned the crank over?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 7:26pm
If you want to do your cleaning with chemistry, try cold oven cleaner. It'll work great but it will eat your hide too, so wear protective eyewear and clothing.  I'll stick with my little pneumatic gasket scraper, it peels the crud away like magic. I cleaned up a CJ2A chassis and powertrain last week with it, followed by solvent. Piece 'o cake.

CJAlaska

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connoman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 9:31pm
I havent given her too much attention lately. Never enough time or space. My winter driver (GMC Pickup) needs a rear main seal badly so that's first in line and I'm trying to organize all my projects before the snow comes.
I havent tried to turn it over yet! I want to take the pump and gearbox off the front first so it's not spinning that over also.
The WD40 loosens up the grime pretty good but I might try some of the oven cleaner on the tougher stuff. The tub floor is particularly nasty. I'll try a small spot first to be sure it doesnt harm the paint.
I'm trying to be as gentle as I can to preserve her condition, no wire brushes or sharp tools near the body, although I have used a putty knife to scrape out some of the sludge where it's thick.
I need to take some pics of the clutch and shifter linkage and have you guys verify that it looks correct. It looks as though it's been worked on.
Thanks for the ideas!   More soon!
45 CJ2A
70 & 04 Pontiac GTO's
75 Omega / 350SBC T350
2011 Silverado
69 Honda CB750
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 10:33pm
FYI oven cleaner will damage paint.
ojstephens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ojstephens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2007 at 6:24pm
We need more news on this!!!!! Anyone hear anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>