Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saab 96 V4.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saab 96 V4.
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2016 at 11:39pm
Well for my next project I have wandered quite some way from anything Jeepish, a 1973 Saab...its got the German made Ford V4 engine, which was stock for this model, the early Saabs were 2 stroke powered.

Quite an interesting very Ugly car!

Two owners, only 130k on the clock, LHD as it came from Holland, been in NZ since 1985.

Who can tell me more about them, I see quite a few US sites have parts?

Adrian

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 1:13am
Well I guess I'm out on my own with this one?..
1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 8:34pm
I can offer nothing other than x2 on the ugly, LOL...... Not far from me as a kid, an old guy drove the early 2 stroke models, if I remember correctly, the oil was added to the gas when filling and the bottom of the gas cap was the measure for the proper amount of oil, interesting..... How bout a photo of the car and its V4 ford power!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 11:13pm
Get a hold of Wyowillys46. He has one too and is full of knowledge on these. You two will hit it off. Morgan Neelands is his name. A good guy. He is a member here. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 11:32pm
Thanks guys. I won't get the car for a couple of months and will then put a few photos up...meantime will get hold of wyowillys...
1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 12:11am
Adrian must be saving gopher trapping money for the car . Looking forward to photo's

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 2:53am
Not sure about the gophers but the odd pine tree might top up the piggy bank...
Busy working on the bulldozer now so I can drag some trees out with it...
1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

Not sure about the gophers but the odd pine tree might top up the piggy bank...
Busy working on the bulldozer now so I can drag some trees out with it...

Bulldozer pictures are accepted here as well, whatchagot!.   ?

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 5:34am
CAT D4D. About 1968 model...purrs like a Cat!. Just tidying up the angle blade..all new C frame trunions...lots of cracks repaired..new winch rope. Serviced engine. Final drives...new filters..coolant etc..will try and upload some photos...
1973 Saab 96
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 7:12am
Adrian,
How goes the Saab? And what does that Cat look like?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 11:00pm
I never heard back from wyowillys, he must be off the Jeeps at the moment.

The Saab is still at my friends house and will pick it up after winter.

The CAT D4D is going great, its at the farm now and will pull some trees out today with it, will try and get some photo's, its very overcast today and we are now in winter so very short days now, dark still at 7am and dark again by 5pm, summer its daylight from about 5am through to almost 10pm.

The Jeeps going great, just comes out for a weekend run on warmer days now.

Adrian

1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 5:50am
Sorry no photos today, quite heavy rain today, I will put some on the page showing what it can do once we get some better weather.

The D4D can pull a lot for its size, I have winched quite a few  trees up to the farm tracks and some of them would be far heavier than the dozer. Its got a Hyster D4E model winch on it and about 50 metres of 3/4" swagged wire rope, I think its supposed to have 7/8" rope but the 3/4 only cost me a few beers and being swagged its very strong.

I am more than happy with the machine, no computers and just a basic old machine, its a manual one as well so 5 forward and five reverse gears, there's 8 levers to play with and two brake pedals so you need to be part octopus to drive itLOL

Adrian

1973 Saab 96
Monjour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 6:22pm
Any pics of this ugly beast? 
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2016 at 8:44am
Stay tuned, I took a heap of photos of the D4D today, its was a frosty start to the day but very clear.

I will get techno son to upload themConfused.

Re: the worlds ugliest car, you'll have to wait a bit longer, although I may even go and pick it up on Monday.....its about 150km away......

The plan is to winch a few more tree's out tomorrow, so might even get a few more photos of the CAT doing its job.

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2016 at 6:43am
Just got home from picking up the very UGLY car, photos of it and the pretty D4D attached...enjoy

1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2016 at 3:03pm
Nice ugly car! , beautiful tractor, that needs its tracks cleaned (if done for the day!), LOL, thanks for posting!.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2016 at 7:51pm
Lee, yes there is a nice spade in the cab of the digger for digging the track frames out on it and the dozer, its been wet here lately and there's mud everywhere.

I usually let it sit until it sets a bit and it comes off easier.

Even in very greasy conditions the little CAT does a great job, once it gets all new chains and grousers it will be even better.

The car is tucked away next to the Jeep now, still sorting through all the spare parts that came with it, complete drive train, gaskets, glass, exhaust etc....it needs a new clutch so the V4 will start to come out later this week.

Adrian 
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 6:22am
Progress!, got the Saab running today, it had been parked up for the past 15 years. The P/O stopped using it when the clutch gave out.

I had to rebuild the clutch and gave the engine a cosmetic tidy up while it was out, new HT leads, coat of paint and replaced all the hoses, being a V4 there are heaps of them all over the place for the cooling system.

Anyway, I rebuilt the brakes this weekend and finally was able to take it for a decent run on the open road.

The rear shock absorbers are shot, but apart from that its went very well.

I am regarding the Jeep as the summer classic and the Saab as my winter classic, its got a huge heater and there's less chance I will die of hypothermia as I would in the 2a.

Happy Motoring....

1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>