Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saab 96 V4.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 2:23pm
Had a buddy in Scotland 40 years ago who drove around an old Ford Corsair with the V4 in it.  We used to make fun of him about only making half the payments on a V8, but the darn thing sure lasted a longer than my rusty ol' 105E Anglia did.   

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 7:21pm
The Saab had the longest production runs of a V4 powered car, (1960-1980) they are an uncommon engine in a car, there were the Ford Taunus (Europe), Lancia and a couple of others.

The Ford Transit truck and van had the Ford Essex V4 engine( English made) and the Saab had the German made one, they are two different engines and don't share that many parts.

The V4 eventually grew into a V6, The German one again was supposed to be the better engine? and it was used in a few cars, Ford Capri etc.

I think I have heard the Ford V4 is still a common industrial engine in the US, and I am not sure if its similar to the German one or different again?.

Anyway, Monday am here now, will try and find some new rear shocks for it, its current handling is bordering on dangerous with the rear end leaping all over the place.

I have been given a hard time from a few petrol head friends, they are horrified by the thought of a V4, I have never owned a V8 and prefer straight 6 and 4 cyl engines, with the fuel price here they are more bearable.....

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 9:39am
Shock absorbers on the way from Germany, same for air cleaner elements.

There are only about 6 Saabs in NZ, which is 5 more than column shift Jeeps, I guess I am taking in all the homeless cars??.

The 96V4 ias very nice to drive, makes the Jeep feel like its got square wheels so I can see it doing the longer trips. The Jeep will earn its keep between home and the farm doing exactly what it was designed to do
1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 2:07pm
A little research tells me the rear of the V4 is the same as a German V6, so a Jeep repower is very do-able

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 9:51pm
Yes, if I found a suitable donor Jeep I'd like to do all the horrible things to it that I couldn't with the column shift....

Repower, a V6 or even V4 in it, 12v electrics, auto etc etc.....

Time......anyway must go and see if the Saab wants to go for a drive
1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 2:48am
enjoy your drive!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 3:22am
It actually is very nice to drive, I did another 50km in it today as part of the road testing before it goes for a Warrant of Fitness.

I am hoping DHL do their job and the parts x Germany arrive in the next day or so.

With new rear shocks it will be a completely different car.

1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12