Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sam H. Werner Military Museum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sam H. Werner Military Museum
    Posted: 08 Oct. 2022 at 9:56am
Back when I was fooling around with old Jeeps in the 70s and 80s, and looking for parts several people mentioned there was someone over in Middle Tennessee who was said to have barns, stacks and fields full of military surplus vehicles and parts, but I could never find out his name or how to find his place.

It was before we had the Internet, so without a name or a better idea of where he was I gave up after making several drives on the back roads around Tracey City. 

I wish I had not given up, I would have loved to have met "Bud Werner" and seen his collection while he was still around to tell about it. 

Yesterday I drove to Nolensville TN to pick up a steering gear for my project Jeep, and since I had to drive through Monteagle on the way back I stopped at the museum. 

Anyone with an interest in the history of Jeeps, or other military vehicles and equipment would find this place to be worth a drive to see. 

I was very interested in seeing the early prototypes of Jeeps of which they have a number of excellent and some very rare examples. 

If you Google it there are many YouTube videos of the place to give an idea of what is there. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2022 at 12:51pm
Jim and I made many trips to Sam’s from Copperhill getting parts for our M38A1’s. He always had what we needed.
He would build you a M37. There was a pile of axles, transmissions, tc cases, etc. then he would put it all together. We lusted over a M37 w/winch, fresh paint and sounded good. $1200.00 as I remember.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2022 at 12:00pm
A few years ago I bought a couple of sets of Marine surplus M38A1 axles that Matt Fox had gotten from Sam's estate. The rear axles have Powr-Trak limited slip. 

Wish someone was still around who would build me a M37 for $1200.00
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2022 at 1:13pm
Those were the days.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
 Post Reply Post Reply