Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sanity Check, D44 Full Floater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2020 at 2:53pm
Jay,

Did you get your axles through Dutchman?  Was the process pretty easy?
'50 3a with f-head motor
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2020 at 3:33pm
I used Moser, as Dutchman will not fit the spindles. I ordered them last Thursday got them this Thursday.
Jay
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2020 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

I used Moser, as Dutchman will not fit the spindles. I ordered them last Thursday got them this Thursday.
Jay

I assume the inside of the flanges are cupped like Rick's?  I find that as a pretty big design flaw.  All in all, the fasteners are probably the weak link in all this and that relief into the bolt bores probably sacrifices 30% of the fastener strength along with the inherent sealing issue.

I leaning towards Dutchman's through hardened 4130 versions and will trim as necessary to clear jpet's beautiful spindles.  Hopefully I can get them to drill only a 0.375" holes.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2020 at 1:59am
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Jay

I assume the inside of the flanges are cupped like Rick's?  I find that as a pretty big design flaw.  All in all, the fasteners are probably the weak link in all this and that relief into the bolt bores probably sacrifices 30% of the fastener strength along with the inherent sealing issue.

I leaning towards Dutchman's through hardened 4130 versions and will trim as necessary to clear jpet's beautiful spindles.  Hopefully I can get them to drill only a 0.375" holes.

Yes the back side is cupped like Ricks. Dutchamns won't fit the correct spindle designs. 
Jay
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2020 at 6:47pm
I think it is still worth trying to catch Dutchman on a good day and get them to turn the shaft down to spline major. They did it for me years back for a small upcharge.....

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

nrspence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrspence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2021 at 6:23am
I’ll give Dutchman a call for kicks and giggles. Dutchman shafts have treated me well in the past. Nate
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 12:06am
Can someone offer a breakdown of part numbers for the spindles and hubs that will work for this?

I'd be interesting in doing this, but would like to use the same spindles and hubs on all four corners (full float D44 rear and Narrow trac D30 front) Is this possible?
    jpet View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group
    Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 2:04am
    Originally posted by unclemoak unclemoak wrote:

Can someone offer a breakdown of part numbers for the spindles and hubs that will work for this?

I'd be interesting in doing this, but would like to use the same spindles and hubs on all four corners (full float D44 rear and Narrow trac D30 front) Is this possible?

The Chevy spindles I have been using are part 706528X   A Dana 30 disc brake hub and calipers will fit these spindles. There may be a better choice for hubs and brakes that are smaller. IDK

If anyone is thinking about sending me Chevy spindles, to machine. Now is the time. I have at least one set to make.
    CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
    MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
    nrspence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrspence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 2:42am
    I sure do appreciate you machining those spindles for me. Excited to get this 30 spline full floater together. 
    73 cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 4:17am
    Could the spindles be made to work on a D44 Flanged axle?
    CJ3B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 4:48am
    Originally posted by 73 cj5 73 cj5 wrote:

Could the spindles be made to work on a D44 Flanged axle?

Yes that is what I’m using. The bolt pattern needs to be drilled to match the odd flanged end. 
    Jay
    Kosbu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kosbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2021 at 4:07am
    Hi all!
    This is a very long thread full of useful info and skilled people. It t.ook me a while and a few reads to come around the different options.  I am really impressed! well done guys!

I am thinking doing this sort of modification to my mitsubishi jeep rear axle. My rear axle is 10 spline and really old.  I am re-building the whole jeep so the correct time for this type of modifications is really now.
    I was hoping I would be able to buy the spindles rather than machining them but that does not seem to be an option any more unless someone of you makes them and sells them??? If anyone is keen to manufacture a couple of spindle for me please PM me. Otherwise I will have to buy a couple of  706528X hoping I can find someone here to modify them for me.

Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2021 at 7:45pm
    Here is an interesting post about shaft / spindle clearance on a Ford 9" FF that was just built.

Jay
    storm_factory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm_factory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:15pm
    So maybe I'm missing something obvious, other than the inherent advantages of full floater, but why doesn't anyone narrow a full width flanged or front D44 to be offset? Seems like there should be enough meat to do so? 

Heck, I just saw Metcalf makes some tube ends to use a ff spindle, those plus a driver drop front 44 and roberto es tu tio no? 
    EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2021 at 9:57am
    I am finally putting together my Sanity Check Full Floater together. I have Jpet Spindles, Dutchman 30 spline flanged axles. I was wondering about the  axle seal? Let the gear oil lubricate the bearings or try to separate the gear oil and the Greased Bearings? What is working?
    Thanks, Ernie
    Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2021 at 10:28am
    Originally posted by EJOWest EJOWest wrote:

I am finally putting together my Sanity Check Full Floater together. I have Jpet Spindles, Dutchman 30 spline flanged axles. I was wondering about the  axle seal? Let the gear oil lubricate the bearings or try to separate the gear oil and the Greased Bearings? What is working?
    Thanks, Ernie

So the Dutchman 30 spline axles fit thru Jpet’s custom spindles?

I put regular axle seals in the original location.  I had to polish the axle shafts because it’s not a standard seal location on the floater axles.  I grease the wheel bearings just like on the front axles. 
    1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
    1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
    oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2021 at 11:57am
    I also vote to put the seal in and keep wheel bearings separate from the carrier lube.
    Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
    T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
    Zero aftermarket parts

EJOWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJOWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2021 at 12:40pm
    The Dutchman axle fit on the flange end and the spline end but had a section in the center that wouldn’t fit. My local machine shop turned it down to fit then polished it. Thanks for the tip on polishing the shaft and using a standard seal!
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>