Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sanity Check, D44 Full Floater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanity Check, D44 Full Floater
    Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 10:55pm
Hey Folks - So making progress on the build and ran into a problem.  I'm putting a 30-spline Ox locker in the D44 and also was going to full float it, use Dutchman flanged axles, and do disc brakes at the same time.  I've already rebuilt a D30 narrow track with a Detroit and disc brake to swap in the front.

The problem: the 30-spline axles are nominally 1.3125" on the carrier end and I can't find a D30/44 spindle that will pass a shaft that big through the ID.  I have both OEM and Crown replacement D30 spindles here and they're both, nominally, 1.187" ID.  If I bored the spindles out to 1.3125" it'd take the floor of the keyway with it.  Because they're stupid deep.  I was hoping to use the D30 spindles so I could cut down on the SKUs and have the same bearings, hubs, and small parts front and rear.

So, I read on here that Metcalf used Yukon spindles but they're no longer made which I called to confirm.  Nitro does not make them and never did.  I called them also and while it is advertised on Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2ID4MU/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2JO8M7CU4M3CX&psc=1 ) as passing a 30-spline axle, elsewhere the same part number is 27-spline only.  Nitro said the Amazon listing is wrong and they never were able to pass a 30-spline axle, only a 27.  Regardless, they don't offer that part number now as the folks who were manufacturing them went out of business.

Anybody have any ideas of a spindle that'll work for a one-piece, flanged axle, full floater short of a D60 unit?  I have to keep the 5x5.5 wheel pattern.  I have an old MB full floater rear that I just now checked and the spindle bore on it is 1.25" so maybe I'd be able to bore it to work.  I don't mind stealing parts off of it as it's completely pooched but I prefer to use something I can actually get parts for.  Check out that customized PowerLok.

Pooched MB rear:

A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 11:07pm
Bet it howled loudly before you parked it

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2020 at 11:31pm
The spindle on a Dana 23 is part of the housing and can’t be removed. Billet is an option!!
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 12:06am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Bet it howled loudly before you parked it
I'm sure it did but it'd have been an owner or two before me.  Came as a set of spares for a parts CJ2A I picked up over the winter.

Instagram
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 12:09am
We ran into this some years ago. The only way we could pass a 30 spline through the spindle was with a Warn spindle. You may want to try them. It requires a Warn exclusive internally splined hub. 

The only other option I can think of is a Chevy 1/2 ton spindle combined with a Ford style long internal spline hub. I’m 90% sure that spindle can be broached to the appropriate dimension. But then your into another custom shaft. 

Contact Warn. We did two back in the day using Warn parts.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 12:12am
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

The spindle on a Dana 23 is part of the housing and can’t be removed. Billet is an option!!
Huh.  I did not know that.  If you pooch a spindle the housing is toast?

I could make my own spindle and have the machinery to do it, but owning a machine shop for decades as taught me to never build what you can buy.  That said, if there is no off the shelf solution, I'll have to do it.

Instagram
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 1:17am
I have talked to Yukon about making 30 spline D30 spindles again. The price seems to be at a stupid level, especially if buying in batches.

I've always wondered if the bottom of the groove could be TIG welded to add material to prevent break out when boring to for 30 spline. The snout might change shape slightly. A mandrel could be pressed in the nose to help prevent that. There is a risk the threads could get messed up maybe.

If you don't mind an internal spline locking hub I think the GM small bearing spindle is pretty close to passing a 30 spline shaft stock. Use a ford bearing hub if I remember right.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

I have talked to Yukon about making 30 spline D30 spindles again. The price seems to be at a stupid level, especially if buying in batches.

I've always wondered if the bottom of the groove could be TIG welded to add material to prevent break out when boring to for 30 spline. The snout might change shape slightly. A mandrel could be pressed in the nose to help prevent that. There is a risk the threads could get messed up maybe.

If you don't mind an internal spline locking hub I think the GM small bearing spindle is pretty close to passing a 30 spline shaft stock. Use a ford bearing hub if I remember right.

I considered welding up the keyway with some Weldmold 880.  I've used it on a lot of shafts.  High nickle, no cracking, elongation is like 35%, tensile is around 140K.  Great stuff.  Could be done and then re-thread the snout.  It's a 1.625" x 16 pitch on the spindle snout so the minor diameter would be around 1.550".  If I bored it to 1.320" there'd still plenty of material left for the nuts to work with.  The OEM spindles seem to be pretty soft material though.  I get to that point and then figure I could just knock some out of some 1018, case harden it, and seem what happens.  Still rather buy an off the shelf solution if there is one though.

Instagram
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 2:23am
My Yukon spindles still have a shallow keyway and pass 30 spline major pretty easy.

I don't think that the keyway needs to be welded all the way up so hopefully the threads could be avoided....or only need cleaned up with a file.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 3:32am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

We ran into this some years ago. The only way we could pass a 30 spline through the spindle was with a Warn spindle. You may want to try them. It requires a Warn exclusive internally splined hub. 

The only other option I can think of is a Chevy 1/2 ton spindle combined with a Ford style long internal spline hub. I’m 90% sure that spindle can be broached to the appropriate dimension. But then your into another custom shaft. 

Contact Warn. We did two back in the day using Warn parts.
Can't find any reference to something like that on their website.  Might be another discontinued item but I'll call them tomorrow.  It sounds like this is something that uses lockout hubs though.  I'm wanting to use a flanged axle like on a 3/4 or 1-ton truck.  Like these:

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 3:42am
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

My Yukon spindles still have a shallow keyway and pass 30 spline major pretty easy.

I don't think that the keyway needs to be welded all the way up so hopefully the threads could be avoided....or only need cleaned up with a file.

At the keyway floor, the OEM spindles only has a .055" wall.  I'd need to take out .070" on the radius to get a 1.320" bore.  So I'd have to add .070" to the floor to end up where I started (.055" floor).  With the weld puddle wetting, I'm betting I'd get into the threads.  Probably knock it down with a thread file but single pointing it is easy enough.

I'd still rather get a set of those Yukons.  You have an extra set? :)

Instagram
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 6:48am
The disk brake spindle for Dana 30 uses larger bearing on the inner. I believe its a SET 47 with 1.781 ID. Did the Yukon spindle use SET 47 for inner and outer? That would be a +.2 wall thickness.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

The disk brake spindle for Dana 30 uses larger bearing on the inner. I believe its a SET 47 with 1.781 ID. Did the Yukon spindle use SET 47 for inner and outer? That would be a +.2 wall thickness.
For the OEM D30 disc brake spindle, it is the 47 on the inner and a 45 on the outer.  I wouldn't think Yukon would use a 47 on the outer as it would require modification to the hub body to fit the larger bearing.

Instagram
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Anvil Anvil wrote:

[QUOTE=jpet]....I wouldn't think Yukon would use a 47 on the outer as it would require modification to the hub body to fit the larger bearing.
Aren’t the diameters of the outer races on both sets the same? 2.891
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 6:02pm

Originally posted by Anvil Anvil wrote:

[QUOTE=jpet]....I wouldn't think Yukon would use a 47 on the outer as it would require modification to the hub body to fit the larger bearing.
Aren’t the diameters of the outer races on both sets the same? 2.891
That's a solid point.  I don't know and never noticed if the races were the same.  According to Motion Industries, they are the same OD: 

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 6:09pm
A closer read on Metcalf's post indicates that Yukon did use the 47 on the outer.

"Part number is from Yukon, YA W38103

This spindle uses the larger ID inner bearing so you have to have the right wheel bearing hub or slightly modify the earlier unit."

Instagram
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 6:18pm
I’m not sure I understand the last statement. Since the 47 and 45 have the same OD on the outer race, you should be able to put a set 47 in both sides of a stock hub. All you would need is a spindle that’s uses SET 47 both inner and outer. I have often considered making these spindles. They would not be that hard to make but I’m not sure there is a big enough market for them.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 8:16pm

I’m not sure I understand the last statement. Since the 47 and 45 have the same OD on the outer race, you should be able to put a set 47 in both sides of a stock hub. All you would need is a spindle that’s uses SET 47 both inner and outer. I have often considered making these spindles. They would not be that hard to make but I’m not sure there is a big enough market for them.

Sorry, had a bull get out. Took a bit to get him back.  It's that time of year.  

Could be difference in the "in cup width."  .040" difference between the 45 & 47.

Instagram
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>