Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scam!! User name Johnwkd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scam!! User name Johnwkd
    Posted: 26 Jan. 2022 at 8:10pm
Hey everyone, 
I don't want to see someone else get ripped off like I did. I was looking for a part and he messaged me that he had what I needed. He had an email of Johnwkd468@gmail.com. I sent $50 through PayPal. He asked me to send it via the family and friends option which I now know doesn't cover you if something happens. The PayPal account was janetwandahi@yahoo.com. After I sent it, he then told me the PayPal account is locked and that he can't access the funds for 3 months and so I should send him another $50 through cash app. At this point I knew I got scammed. 

Edited by Mike46 - 26 Jan. 2022 at 8:53pm
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2022 at 10:33pm
He contacted me also, but I saw he had no posts, and had joined that very day, so ignored him. Just no way to be able to confirm honesty.
Sorry you got scammed. 
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 8:02am
Thanks for the heads up!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Mike46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 8:37am
I should have looked into this further before paying the money. Thankfully it was only $50 and not a few hundred.
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 9:21am
I think its hard to be distrustful when you are honest yourself. Especially on a site like this where contributors share a common interest and help each other out. Its easy to forget the occasional bad apple is lurking in the weeds.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 10:00am
I was contacted by him also. He had the vacuum wipers I was looking for. I did the same as jhg.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 10:13am
Remember "Trevor" ?

What part were you looking for Mike ?
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 10:26am
Does he have a user name on this site?
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 11:23am
He hit me too. Shame on me for not looking closer.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 12:12pm
  I’ll warrant that his initial message was, “I have the item you are looking for”. Not “the part”, not “the carb hat (or whatever)” but “the item”. Then he told you to contact his mother, or sister. The first time, this sounded too fishy to me. 
  I’ve only ever been “taken” by someone on this board one time, and I don’t believe that guy was a “scammer” but just a irresponsible person. He was new to the board and never returned. I do not buy from newbies anymore. I’ve had to pass up some good deals on things I needed or wanted, but I think my policy has paid off. If a newbie is honest, I feel sorry for them. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 12:41pm
I kinda feel left out, lol.  Was he PM'g you guys based on a WTB post?

I've always thought that someone low enough to rip someone off for 20 or 50 bucks was taking a big risk for relatively little reward... I mean, I'm not above stealing but there has to be a lot of zeros in that payday and very minimal risk or exposure...

...I just don't feel like running for office Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 12:44pm
If they were honest they will be around longer than a few posts to hock there parts and at least attempt to make more than a fleeting presence on the site
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 12:50pm

Johnwkd comes back as active 40 minutes ago...hopefully the jig is up

Edited by mbullism - 27 Jan. 2022 at 12:51pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Johnwkd comes back as active 40 minutes ago...hopefully the jig is up

If so, shouldn't that user name be disabled?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 1:37pm
I got detailed pictures of the "item" I was buying. And it even was the correct parts. Very detailed, hence me not worrying much. Several email exchanges and so on. 

This is a guy familiar with vintage Jeeps and parts. That makes me sad. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 2:19pm
I have suspended him.

Please be aware he may try to create another account.

BEWARE/
Mike46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 2:32pm
I have a 46 2A column shift and was looking for the low/reverse shift lever that goes inside the transmission and comes out the side where your linkage rod then connects to. I actually did get one now from Herm the overdrive guy so I'm good to go.
Mike46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2022 at 2:33pm
His username came up as Johnwkd 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>