Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Schofield Pass Devil’s Punchbowl Crystal Mill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schofield Pass Devil’s Punchbowl Crystal Mill
    Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 3:27am
Hi all,

Saturday, after the FCT, Akoller, Cj3bmutt, and I wheeled Schofield Pass from Crested Butte, CO to The Crystal Mill.

I think this is my new favorite trail. It is mostly narrow shelf roads which are my favorite trails. For those who have done Black Bear Road, think of the “Steps”, but imagine they go on for a quarter mile with multiple “Adios Curves” and large rocks in the way. After this there are miles of narrow shelf road. The drop offs are intimidating but also make it easy to see the beautiful landscape:

Devil’s Punchbowl:

.... but what is more amazing than that is the payoff at the end. Crystal Mill:

Here is the video. It’s long but worth it:

I will absolutely be back. Thanks to Alan and Kris for wheeling with me!

Edited by jpet - 25 Sep. 2019 at 1:01pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 4:15am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I think this is my new favorite trail.

Rub it in . .   I could have been there.  Cry . . and wheeled with Akoller . . fellow SM420 buddy. LOL

Seriously though,  if I would have gone west, I would have missed some good family activities.

Nice photos,  need to check out the video.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 4:17am
Wow, what an epic trail. Thanks for posting.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 4:50am
The name Schofield Pass sounds familiar and I was thinking I had run it before, but the pictures don't look at all familiar.  I'll check out the video later, but that looks like one I need to add to my list as well.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 11:46am
The week before we were there a motorcycle rider from Texas went over the edge, landed in the Punchbowl, and survived:

Check our the 5:20 mark of this video.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 11:55am
Jeff that one is on my to do list. Thank you for the pictures and video.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 12:37pm
That was a fun day. I'm am glad it worked out to go run this trail with you my friend. It was definitely a highlight of my trip. That was my 3rd time on the trail and it just doesn't get old. It to is one of my favorites. The scenery is second to none.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 1:36pm
Very nice!, thank you for posting!.... Crystal Mill is a beautiful place, the Lead King Basin is another “Must See” in the area

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 1:57pm
First crossed Schofield Pass in 1961, it has become rougher over the years. I have always gone from the Marble/Chrystal side.
The shelf road above the Devils Punchbowl had been the sight of several fatalities over the years. Vehicles slide off the edge from wet surface, loose rock, wet brakes, bad driving....  etc.
When it was a smoother road my '72 Blazer handled it well, and the 2a has done it a couple times.
BOULDER 48 2A
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 6:02pm
Once again jpet you have kept all of us sitting on the edge of our seats with another great scenic trail that all are adding to our bucket lists! Thanks for sharing that!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Hank_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 7:32pm
Jpet you rock.  I am new to the flat fender jeeps but not to off roading.   I live in Michigan and dream of the day I can get away from work and do some trails like this.  Hopefully we will meet up one day.  I appreciate your always posting videos and pics of your adventures.  Rock on brother.  Approve

Hank
Hank
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 8:25pm
Jeff. 
Your pics and video are awesome and amazing. 
That motorcycle survival is miraculous. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I think this is my new favorite trail.

Rub it in . .   I could have been there.  Cry . . and wheeled with Akoller . . fellow SM420 buddy. LOL

Seriously though,  if I would have gone west, I would have missed some good family activities.

Nice photos,  need to check out the video.

Honestly Ron, when Jeff mentioned several weeks ago that there was the possibility of you joining us I was pretty excited to finally meet you in person. We have interacted back in forth through the page for a while now and a lot of what I have done on Thumper was motivated by what has worked so well on Wilson. When Jeff showed up to Colorado without you I was disappointed. Oh well.... I imagine it won't be long before we do have the opportunity to do some wheeling together. You could always run out here to Kansas next month to do the run at Tuttle! It can't be more than a 20 hour drive each way.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Cj3bmutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj3bmutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 10:58pm
I enjoyed running the trail with Jeff and Alan.  Always enjoy running Schofield Pass.  The scenery never disappoints me.  Great weather for the day was also a plus.
 Post Reply Post Reply