Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School me on LSDs or Locking diffs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me on LSDs or Locking diffs
    Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:10pm
I have a stock CJ2A and I'm considering a getting a locker or limited slip system for the rear axle.  The other day I was climbing a steep hill covered with leaves/pine straw and the base was wet clay.  Of course only one front and one rear wheel was getting power.  I made it up but it was a a struggle.  I just want power to both rear wheels in mud/sand.  Not looking to climb giant boulders or mess with rock crawling.  I want to just go with the rear as I understand a front diff system can screw with steering and such. 

I understand that there are some downsides to LSDs; what are they in the little CJ2as?

Suggestions? 

Or I could just get a winch?

Edited by wfopete - 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:17pm
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:21pm
If your CJ-2A has the stock Dana 41 rear axle your options will be very limited. Other will know better whats available.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:26pm
I put a Lockrite in the rear axle of my jeep and it was transformative!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:30pm
One downside could be sideways handling on ice. Snow and mud wouldn't have that sideways movement that can be a problem on ice. I don't know how much ice you get in NW Arkansas but if it is like SE Kansas there is usually some every year. Of course, if you don't venture out in your Jeep much in the winter it wouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for your service!

PS: You are close to Noel, Missouri and there is an annual get together of fellow Jeepers at the Rush Springs Ranch Park. This year it will be on the 22-24 of April. For information: Look on the Clubs, Shows, and Get-togethers section of this forum. Willys Rush @ Rush Springs Ranch Missouri 2022 - Event Date: 22 Apr. 2022 - 24 Apr. 2022 or contact user "47heater" on this forum
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:40pm
I see no down side to lock rights other than paying for them. Of course I don't drive on ice. I do drive on rocks, mud, and sand. Go ahead and get them, rear and front. Makes a huge improvement. You will never want to go back.
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 7:51pm
schools in session 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. see links below. enjoy.

and, yes a good quality winch may be the answer but Metcalf really got me thinking about a locker up front not in the back.

oh, and tires do matter. i went to tractor tires (understanding most would not choose this option) and man oh man she moves better through mud and slick stuff.

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/locker-questions_topic50290.html

additionally as Metcalf wrote:

here some older posts: 
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/rear-end-gearing_topic29657_page1.html

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/dana-25-locker_topic41199.html

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/locker-10-and-19-spline-dana-44_topic48753_post495070.html?KW=front+locker#495070

Edited by bight - 13 Jan. 2022 at 8:04pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 8:03pm
The good thing about limited slips and lockers is that they will spin both tires.  The bad thing is that they will spin both tires.  A non-spinning tire is a lot more resistant to sliding sideways, so an open diff will tend to keep you going where you're pointing while a limited slip or locker can spin out a lot easier.

Personally I'm not a fan of most limited slips.  The ones I've had are typically kind of worn out so they don't help very much.  But they've still been too tight in that they've tended to scuff the back tires in turns on snow or ice.  That can make you fishtail even when coasting around a corner.  If you aren't driving on snow or ice a fairly tight limited slip might not be too bad.  But for my money I wouldn't go that route.

Automatic lockers (like the LockRight that was mentioned) start lots of internet fights!  There are people who love them and people who hate them.  Both are right, and I don't know where you will fall.  I've had automatic lockers in the rear of a CJ5 and my Bronco, as well as an F-150.  They can be a bit of a handful because they lock up pretty abruptly which can suddenly kick the rear end out.  But if you understand how they work and drive accordingly they are pretty predictable.

Selectable lockers might be the best of both worlds.  Or they might not.  And TrueTracs and other gear-type limited slips have a lot going for them.  But since you aren't likely to find those for a stock flattie axle I won't spend any more time on them here.

Another question is which axle to put it in.  Conventional wisdom is to go with the rear axle first.  That's what I've done, and if you do any highway driving in 4WD (like on snow) I'd strongly suggest only upgrading the rear.  But if that's not a factor it might be better to upgrade the front first.  Either a limited slip or a locker in front will make it harder to steer, particularly if you don't have power steering.  But in many situations it will help more than having the same diff upgrade in the rear.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 8:14pm
I have a stock 2A with a lock right in the rear.  It does help with traction quite a bit.  In the ice and snow the rear kicks out, (I'm used to it)   It also bangs and the rear "side steps" a bit when it kicks in. It feels strange but I've learned to live with it.  I have a 3b with a bigger motor and wider tires, and open diff's I can drive that all over the place.  I will never put a locker in the front of vehicle again unless it's selectable!  I have one in my work truck now and it plows in the corners (goes straight  when the road curves.)  A PITA.   I will say the traction is amazing in a straight line though.   
We also have a early CJ5 with factory power-loc's front and rear.  That gets good traction but doesn't bang in the same way.  Those power-locs are nice little units, and can be setup to grab pretty hard if needed.  
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 8:24pm
I don't get any snow to speak of and ice?  Hell for ICE I'll zip some sheet metal screws in the military tires but we only get real ice once every 10 years. I'm about 3 hours from Noel, MO so that may be a fun trip.  Good feedback guys thanks for the cheat sheets!
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2022 at 8:44pm
Just my thing but the last 12 axles (front and rear) that I built were genuine Dana Spicer Powr Loks. All were setup with standard friction disk placement which is dependent on the axle model.
But of course the Powr Lok is invalid for a Dana 41.

Edited by oldtime - 13 Jan. 2022 at 8:49pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 1:13am
If you wheel anywhere between 67°W & 94°W longitude, then LSDs or powerlocks will work great.  Wheeling anywhere west of 94°W longitude, I highly recommend an actual locker.Thumbs Up
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 6:04am
Well I spent a few hours going over threads on the positives and negatives on the subject.  Seems like the locker/LSD world has been in a life long struggle with the physics and evils of true 4WD  LOL   Now I know why AWD is so popular in todays "Suburban" world.   I have a 2020 Ford AWD Transit that does a pretty good job of keeping the beast out of trouble but I also don't go looking for trouble.  Seems the debate as to which axle get the most benefit from a locker is still as healthy as ever. With my 2A I will play in the off road world but I try to stay within it's limitations.  A locker gives me a second chance if I misbehave.  Kind of like why I bought a skid plate for it, I don't go out looking for stuff where I need a skid plate but every once and a while I find it and it's nice to know the skid plate is there. 

Suffer Fools, Gladly!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2022 at 7:58am
Powr Loks are, and will always be the supreme choice up to a point.

On a half kidding and half serious note I would say that if your more into “ROCK RASH” and “TRIPLE SKID PLATES” then you can certainly do better a than Powr Lok.

They are the ultimate middle ground between open and fully locked. Whether you use your jeep for interstate transport or on the Rubicon they are fully dependable and smooth.

Powr Loks produce mild steering issues compared to open and may fail on you when fully locked differentials keep on turning no matter what.

Edited by oldtime - 14 Jan. 2022 at 8:08am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 12:02am
Having grown up in the 70s, I always knew that LSD would give you a psychedelic trip! I never knew you needed a Jeep for it to work though. LOL
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2022 at 1:13pm
I was a teenager in the 70s but I never tried LSD on purpose.

All seriousness aside, I have the Powr Lok differential in my CJ5 which is a low mileage Jeep so the unit is in good shape. 

The Cj5 will go places in 2WD that I have to put my CJ2A into 4WD to go. I like it very well for getting around the hills and rough areas of my farm which involves a lot of loose dirt and leaves. I have noticed it will fish tail a little when going up hill in loose gravel if I hit the pedal a little too much, but I haven't driven it on ice.

I like it so much I plan to install one of the M38A1 Marine surplus rear axles I have under my CJ2A. 

I lucked up a few years ago and bought two sets of surplus axles, which turned out to have the Powr Loc differentials in the rear axles.  

Edited by Oldpappy - 15 Jan. 2022 at 1:22pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 12:39pm
My favorite combo to date is still an automatic FRONT locker and a selectable REAR locker. For me, this has the best overall handling, especially in a short wheelbase.

In rwd it can be open the majority of the time without any clanking, banging, ratcheting, or pushing that is common with a rear automatic locker. If you want to force the rear end to step out, slide downhill, or get sporty with it.....then just turn on the locker. You can also drive around with the hubs locked (or drive flanges) with the front automatic locker without really knowing it is there in 2wd. The worst I hear is some faint ratcheting when full lock with the hubs locked. I have driven on a lot of icy snowy winter roads like this and just toggle the front axle in-out-in as I need it. That is just how I was taught to drive a 4wd in the snow and ice.

Now for the 3wd problem. If all we needed to do was go in a straight line spool/spool would be fine. What we need is something between open/open and spool/spool for when we need to maneuver the vehicle in difficult technical terrain. For me, the best option for this has been an automatic front locker and the rear open. With the rear end open, the front automatic locker is very happy doing its automatic lock-unlock-lock thing pretty much seamlessly without any decrease in steering radius. In most situations where you actually NEED 3wd, the vehicle actually turns tighter because the front end is pulling it in the direction you want to go. On the other hand, using either axle with a selectable locker 'locked' will cause the vehicle to turn wider. The rear axle locked will push the vehicle straight and downhill. A front selectable 'locked' will also turn wider a lot of the time because it can't ratchet like the auto-locker. You also have to deal with the increased steering force from the spool and waiting for the selectable front to unlock when it is bound up.

My other off-road toy is selectable/selectable and it reminds me of all this every time I flop back and forth between vehicles. My flat fender is way less work to drive with WAY less button pushing. At this point, I could stick the rear locker on my flatty on a momentary switch just about. Adding left/right/rear cutting brakes to the flatty would add another layer of maneuverability and decrease rear locker use even further.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 3:18pm
It really depends on what kind of wheeling you want to do.

I am open/open on my stock 48 and have done most of the wheeling I was comfortable doing in it for how nice it is.

On my 46 trail jeep project I'm building, I've got a lunchbox locker in the rear for now.  My future plans are an auto locker in the front and a selectable locker in the rear.  I'm waiting until I re gear the rear end and build up my narrow track dana 30 front end to do this. (currently has a dana 27 in the front)

I'm north of Atkins, not too far from you. We make it up to the Noel run every year and a few of us have met up at Mack's Pines in the summer for a day or 2 of wheeling as well.  The Rush Springs ride in April is my deadline to finish the trail jeep project.
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2022 at 3:29pm
I went on the Dustin Barns Memorial SXS ride last spring (long 56 mile route) with my wife.  Stock 2A open/open. It was the first off road ride for us in the 2A. We made it without any help but I felt the ride was a bit much for the 2A.  Not undoable but I didn't like beating on the 2A that hard.  The 2A actually did better than the SXS's in some spots.  Most of the time in Arkansas there is good traction when dry and the open/open does just fine.  I live about 8 miles from Moccasin Gap but don't go there.  I'm a dirt biker first and find Brock Creek more to my liking.  
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>