Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School me sand blasters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me sand blasters
    Posted: 03 July 2022 at 12:07pm
What should I be looking for in a sensibly capable media blasting set up for small parts up to 16"?

Brands to avoid. Old brands to search for used. Downfalls of used.

Thanks in advance.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 3:49pm
You are talking about a cabinet right? I had a Northern Hydraulics cabinet that worked…. sometimes ok, for like 15 years.  I upgraded it with Tacoma company’s upgrade kit and now it works awesome!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 4:35pm
I’m very partial to the old Clemco brand cabinets that are still made in Washington mo. These are industrial grade blasters.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 6:32pm
I built one from OSB figured if it lasted the project great if not make or repair. It lasted the project and has no sign of needing anything.

Used an old over rack to have a place to set parts

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 9:23pm
Honestly, knowing what I know now, if I had to do it over again and wanted to stick to a budget, I might just build one out of wood like Mark W did.  My cabinet is nice but it’s just a cabinet.  Someone could use an old file cabinet even and make it work.  I think my cabinet really started working well when I got my gun and valve from Tacoma.

The foot valve, the regulator, the lighting, and the vacuum system are nice, but not 100% necessary. And the rest is just some kind of enclosure with gloves.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

My cabinet is nice but it’s just a cabinet.  Someone could use an old file cabinet even and make it work. 

The foot valve, the regulator, the lighting, and the vacuum system are nice, but not 100% necessary. 

I could see someone re-purpose an old washer or dryer for a cabinet! LOL
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2022 at 9:54pm
  They use a lot of air. I killed a 60 gallon Craftsman oilless compressor with mine. Granted, not a great compressor but be aware of the need of the cabinet in terms of cfms. Google around at different cabinets and look at the cfm requirements to get an idea. 
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 1:02am
I have an 80 gallon 10hp two stage so good with air.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 9:19am
I got the HF and very disappointed.  It’s the same as others sell in different colors since it is Chinese junk.  First, to replace either the gloves OR the glass protection screen is a royal pain in the buttox since is a a side opening.  A top opening would make life much better.  Next, the hose nipple attachment doesn’t do a good job of holding the hose on.  No matter how much I tighten the clamp it pops off in the middle of jobs and it too is a pain to get to. Next, the gun and pickup tube constantly cut in and out of picking up sand. Finally the light is horrible, the cabinet leaks, etc. Would never buy again or recommend. 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 10:40am
I have a cabinet sand blaster from Harbor Freight. It works good for me. I have a large Pro-Force (210 gallon?) 5HP 2-stage compressor I picked up used about 10 years ago. I feed the cabinet with a 3/8 hose from Harbor Freight. I have had the cabinet about 3 years and haven’t had to replace the gloves but I go out of my way to keep from sand blasting them. 
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:47pm
Whichever you choose, make sure it has a double tube pick up. I made mine and it works much better. Also get one with a light inside and a vacuum/filter, unless you don't mind dust in you shop. 

Edited by drm101 - 04 July 2022 at 2:48pm
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 6:58pm
I recently picked up a Harbor Freight cabinet and a Husky 200 PSI compressor from Home Depot. For small scale things, it's fine. You MUST seal every seam on the cabinet and hopper with something stronger than the silicone caulk that comes with it. Something like roofing sealer. And you'll DEFINITELY want to use a vacuum system with something like a Dust Deputy or equivalent. There's a bunch of little mods to make changing the top glass easier (thumb screws versus what it comes with) and there's a gravity feed modification you can do using your basic hardware store plumbing fittings, cutting a hole in the hopper door, etc. Pretty well documented on Youtube, many ways to accomplish the same thing. Also the light that comes with it is pathetic but LED retrofits for like a commercial 2x2 drop ceiling light fixture fit perfectly and are pretty cheap (and magnetic). 

Unless you have a nice industrial compressor with a 100% duty cycle, you're gonna be blasting 15 minutes at a time while the compressor cools down. Mine has a 50% duty cycle so I have to get it up to pressure, let it cool for a bit, blast for 15 minutes, let it catch up, then let it cool down, then go blast more stuff again. You also have to separately purchase a couple of driers and filters to put inline so your media stays good and dry.

Despite the challenges and the fact that it's mass produced chinese junk for the most part, the HF cabinet has been invaluable on my Jeep project. I'm addicted to blasting and painting everything I can. I even fit a 16 inch spare wheel in the cabinet and blasted it a little at a time. But by the time you've bought it new and spent a lot of time upgrading it, you could have had a turnkey setup from another vendor.

Edited by WellFedHobo - 04 July 2022 at 6:59pm
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2022 at 8:22pm
I've been running g a HF cabinet outfitted with Tacoma's upscale retrofits, with a Ridgid vac (no dust devil), and run of a hi duty cycle Porter Cable compressor. No air chiller, but that would help a bit. Glass beads or black alumina, depending on the job. I've blasted almost every part from an M38 frame up resto, including wheels. Has worked great. 40 psi and only 4.5 cfm ar wotking well for me. Tacoma knows what they're doing, and very much worthwhile to call to chat. They're great, and their products are very good.  Check out the oodles of you tubes on this. They are enlightening.
Just built a copper pipe chiller to enhance performance. We'll see how that works.
Happy to chat more if you'd like.
Happy Independence Day gang.
John

'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 12:03am
All I need to do is put together a cabinet and its parts. I have the continuous duty compressor and a 5 hp cyclone dust collector. 
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:22am
Watching the videos on the Tacoma mods just about address all of my complaints but I haven’t seen costs yet.  I may get sticker shock.
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 9:25am
I haven't found a Tacoma website that has parts and prices. I think they're old school with phone calls and credit cards over the phone? But from what I've heard, they're pricey.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 10:37am
I bought their Deluxe upgrade kit and a few other goodies. Mike, the owner is a great source of info who will save you a ton of time outfitting a HF cabinet so it works well. His wife, Kelly, was very helpful on ordering. sales@tacomacompany.com. I suggest upgrading your lighting with their kit, or some LED strip lights too (I'm using their halogen kit, and the extra heat from the lamps helps keep media dry). I also used rivet nuts and threaded knobs to do a quick replace window, and have spare windows cut to size at Lowes.  A removable plastic protective film helps a lot.
I have many hours using my setup and it works very well. Set up right, you won't need a dust deputy; Mike can advise you accordingly.
Good luck
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by WellFedHobo WellFedHobo wrote:

I haven't found a Tacoma website that has parts and prices. I think they're old school with phone calls and credit cards over the phone? But from what I've heard, they're pricey.
Yeah their internet skillz leave a lot to be desired.  Not sure why they don't have prices or even basic info on their website.  If you call them, they will send you a pretty detailed price list by email.
Prices may have changed but my kit included a new metering valve, regulator, foot switch, hoses, grommets, and gun. It was their cheapest option at 369.00.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>