Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seafoam, H2O Injection experiences?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seafoam, H2O Injection experiences?
    Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:12pm
We've probably all lived through the water injection craze of the late 70's and 80's that claimed to help ward off detonation and clean the combustion chamber.  But I wondered about folks who have tried running H2O through the intake in their 134s (I mean without submerging the rig in a creek).  Primitive engine maybe more receptive to this process than newer EFI engines, for obvious reasons; although BMW came out with a pretty sophisticated system several years ago.  A big fear is that worn rings would let water vapor by and into the crankcase and/or possible gum up the rings. 

Of course you also have the Seafoam followers and I think Seafoam would be better and do less damage in the case of blow by while cleaning up the combustion chamber.  And one oil/filter change due to getting sloppy with H2O injection can off set a lot of cans of fuel treatment.  

Experiences?

Edited by wfopete - 21 Jan. 2022 at 10:29pm
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2022 at 11:52pm
What would be the goal? You sure aren't having predetination with an engine that has 6.48-1 compression ratio with 87 octane fuel. You should be able to run close to 9.5-1 on 87 oct.

So I assume your goal is to clean your combustion chamber. To that end "Burning" a little water will help a tiny bit. You can also do the same blasting a can of Carb and Choke cleaner through the running engine. But will you end up with shinny top pistons clean valves and a clean combustion chamber 

NO

If you have rings worn enough to let a little steam past your already dealing with a shot engine.

If you want to spray a little water from something like a windex bottle into the carb while running at about 1500rpm go for it. Will it rebuild a shot engine not a chance.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
wfopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2022 at 8:31am
So true!  Yeah, with the tiny compression numbers detonation was not on my radar as a 134 issue. Rather, the reduced detonation thing was just talk during the 70s/80s.  I just figured there would be a lot of banter about this subject as I thought these engine would be prime candidates for cheap clean up. Although when I did a search on either I didn't get any results.  Maybe that was my lame search attempt?  Any hoo  after giving it some more thought I think with the simplicity of the 134 it would probably would not be that far of a reach just to pull the head and do the task manually.
Suffer Fools, Gladly!
U.S. Army Iraq Veteran (ret.)
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2022 at 9:11am

Just my opinion but I see no advantage to cleaning carbon deposits off the deck and top of pistons. 
It’s merely going to lower the CR a tiny amount and I do see potential serious problems when attempting this. 
First let me say cleaning of the head is generally not a problem.
Now let’s face it; carbon deposits can be hard to remove. 
If you scrape or wire brush the deposits off you will surely jam the carbon and small metal fragments down between the piston and cylinder walls.
It won’t likely all come clean with air pressure either.
Air may only serve to lodge the debris in deeply. 
Yes you you may be able to stuff rags down in the bore holes in order to clean the deck.
But never attempt to clean the piston tops. It’s potential disaster just waiting to happen.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2022 at 9:45am
When I was 18 back in 1985, I bought a '71 Nova with a 12:1 350 that used water injection to reduce combustion temps so that it would run on pump gas. At the time I didn't know any better and spent a lot of time and effort tuning the system, but it never really worked that well. I found it much easier to just spend the money on racing fuel. Then I went to college, got a job, got married, and built a 9.5:1 engine that would run on pump gas and made almost as much HP as that old small block. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2022 at 11:40am
For the seafoam, project farm on youtube had a good video where he took an old ford and showed the before and after.

I use it in the gas tank moreso to help stabilize the fuel especially in times like now, where the jeep sits for a while and I'm not going through a tank very quickly
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
 Post Reply Post Reply