Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seam rust that have rust on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seam rust that have rust on
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 7:51pm
I’m going to paint a Koenig hardtop and am thinking of the pinch or flat seams that have rust in them. If I applied Oxpho rust converter or other brand will it seep into the joint to convert it the rust? This goes for other body parts also. I hat is the b st method to stop the cancer?
'48 2a - '46 2a - '54 3b - '70 cj5 and a bunch of accessories.
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 7:53pm
I think my phone is ha hacked!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 9:12pm
I have used OSPHO for years, which is what I assume you meant by OXPHO.

It works well, and does what it claims to do.

I would hit the seams with a wire brush, and folded sandpaper. Clean them out best you can, then apply a heavy dos of the Ospho, let that soak in and dry a day or so, then apply another dose. Follow that with a good epoxy based primer like DP-40.
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 10:14pm
Thanks for the info. I just can’t see doing all the bodywork and have the seams continue to rust. I have never used The phosphoric acid treatment. I was wondering if it seeped in enough to do good before it solidified. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 1:09pm
I used Ospho on a very rusty truck cab. The truck had sad outside a chemical plant for a few years and all the paint on top surfaces was covered in surface rust. I only used the cab of this truck because that was what I needed. I sanded it down to bare metal, but same as in your case the seams still held rust. 

I did just what I described above, used PGP epoxy primer and paint. Had the truck for about five years and the rust didn't come back.
Siskiwit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siskiwit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 8:47am
Thanks, that’s the route I’ll take then.
 Post Reply Post Reply