Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sears & Roebuck Allstate Locking Hubs Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sears & Roebuck Allstate Locking Hubs Removal
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2012 at 9:12pm
All right, well I ran out of sand so I decided to give removing the locking hubs from one frame to transfer to the other (to see if I'll need to transfer axle shafts) and I have Allstate Hubs from sears and roebuck.  I removed the 6 outer bolts and the locking hub easily pulled free of the actual hub.  However, after 1/8-1/4 of an inch, the hub was locked SOLID.  It would not move out any more so it seems as though there is a snap ring or something similar inside that I can't get to.  The hub is an aluminum housing with a chrome ring around it.  There are two very small holes which do not appear to have any threading within them.  The hub will spin sideways easily, but no success at removing.  So, I put down my tools and decided to consult the internet.  Several hours of reading posts later with no solution better than split the face in half and pry out the two halves, then throw down a gulley, I decided that I wouldn't let this stump me!  So I went in and cleaned and searched and cleaned and searched and I discovered the answer!  So Here's a quick guide for those who have Allstate Hubs from sears and roebuck!

First, clean the face of the hub until around the central location you can see a little metal indentation as below.  Visible to the left of the knob, half way between the two

Slip a probe into this, with the point sliding along the outer edge.  There is a very difficult to see weak snap ring.  Use the probe to start the snap ring coming out. 

Remove the snap ring, slipping a flat blade screw driver under the ring makes it easier to remove it.  Pull out the selection knob, and tada, axle nut and cotter pin.

Unbolt the 6 outer bolts (only torqued to like 15 ft pounds) and then pull the cotter pin and axle nut.  The hub will slide right off!  This is even easier than using a hammer and chisel!  (Glad I didn't let this stump me!)

45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
PlacerWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlacerWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2012 at 1:42am
Well I'm sure someone will appreciate your expertise ! Thanks for that  Thumbs Up
I wish I had a set of those hubs to stump me ! TongueWink
~~~~~~~~~
Will
1947 CJ2a 111xxx
1947 CJ2a 88xxx(parts donor)
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2012 at 2:17pm
DDJames - Interesting - any idea what year these were available? ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
DiverDownJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2012 at 9:58pm
I know they were available through the early 60's, when I take mine apart, I'll see if I can find a patent year.  Here's a catalog ad that includes them...

45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
marla.the.v35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marla.the.v35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2023 at 7:27pm
So glad I found this old post! I have a set of these hubs and have been looking for documentation!
Wheel a rare jeep? Why not?!
youtube
instagram
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 9:08am
can you please post pictures that don't have "photobucket" hiding the image?
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 11:32am
Jim,

You may not have noticed that this thread is eleven years old. The last time the OP visited the forum was two years ago, I doubt you will get a response, but I am able to see the pictures in the first post. The picture image in the forth post is a dead link.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
marla.the.v35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marla.the.v35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 3:57pm
Whenever I go digging into mine, I'll update here as well :) 
Wheel a rare jeep? Why not?!
youtube
instagram
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2023 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

.... The picture image in the forth post is a dead link....  

I right clicked and noticed it was from the old 3B Page (before it moved to current location).

Here's the image from that above post (name of the image was "Sears Accessories"):

Also, right click on each image and open in new tab.  It will then display without the PB watermark.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 23 Mar. 2023 at 4:02pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Goodyear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodyear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2023 at 2:09am
This helped w mine thanks 
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply