Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat Mounts
    Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 5:20pm
Does anyone have any pictures of how the rear seat mounts?  Mine never had one and I am adding one.  I see there are pins the look to snap the legs down in the back, but what exactly do the front legs "slide under"?

And since my old seats were from a '68 firebird, and were hack-job welded to the frames and to the body, how does the passenger seat mount in the rear?  I know there are pivots mounted to the front legs, but only one leg inboard on the back.  What attaches to the outboard side of the rear of the seat, and what keeps it from flipping forward?

Also, I am looking for the best place to buy good quality frames.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by jgodfrey - 29 Apr. 2021 at 5:39pm
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 7:27pm
My rear floor was replaced and lacks them, but my understanding is, there should be two recessed slots for the front seat "legs" to hook under. Maybe someone will post a pic directly.

Front passenger seat doesn't exactly mount because it tilts forward for tool box access. One side rests on a little tab attached to the wheelwell, the other side has a little foot that rests on the floor.

as for what prevents flipping forward, I guess the location of the pivot, a passenger's weight, nothing. Smile

Edited by oldscot3 - 29 Apr. 2021 at 7:34pm
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 7:45pm
If you look at the pics of the panel Walck's sells you can kind of see where the rear seat mounts.

To clarify the front pass seat info above, the right side of the frame is supported by it's horizontal brace on the little tab attached to the wheelwell. That's why no leg on that side.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 7:46pm
Here's how mine looked.

I also got my deck replaced and documented after sandblasting, before discarding.  

Bottom

Notice the indents from under the deck.  The plates were counter sunk and the rib was also flattened to keep that plate flush so nothing would catch.  At the time of replacement, CE didn't offer this item on their rear decks.  The answer I got was, "Most don't want this."  I think he meant it would've been too much trouble.  

I asked the body shop to pull the plates off and mount them on the replacement deck.  I watched him do it (and even helped hold the dolly at one point) and still don't quiet fully understand how he managed to move the metal around.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 29 Apr. 2021 at 7:50pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 7:53pm
I just traded a rear seat out of my 47 CJ2A to another forum member. 

These seats have spear point fittings on the rear legs that snap into spring loaded sockets bolted to the bed. The front legs have flattened tabs on them that slide under brackets above two depressions in the bed. This setup seems like a good passenger launch platform to me. 

I think some civilian Jeeps had rear seats that bolted in. 

The Military Jeeps such as the MB, and M38 had seats that folded up against the rear of the tub or tailgate. 

Based only on the brackets I see in a 67 CJ5 I have it appears some later CJs had seats that would fold and tumble toward the front, but I don't have the seat to see how that works so am not real sure what they are like.

I would recommend buying a modern rear seat that bolts in. I think Besttop has one. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 8:03pm
None of the rear seats bolt in on CJ2A's 3A's or 3B's 

This shows some detail on how the stock rear seat mounts: 
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/rear-cj2a-seat_topic34996_page1.html
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/rear-seat-measurements_topic9706.html

The fronts of the seat frame fit into a dimple in the floor with a strap welded across it 

The rear legs have pins that fit into a pair of spring tensioned rollers you can see the oval knockouts in the lower corners of floor above that would be removed and the rear mounts would bolt in. 

Edited by 48cj2a - 29 Apr. 2021 at 8:05pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 9:02pm
This is all EXACTLY the information I needed.  Thanks everyone!
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 8:36pm
so how were these sockets or clips originally mounted into the floor? 
Max
CJ2A 110861
 Post Reply Post Reply