Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat Screws

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat Screws
    Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 9:11pm
I checked the parts list and it does not address the finish on the seat fabric screws.

So are they the standard non-chromed civilian upholstery screws from the 1940s or are they the black oxide screws like you see on military vehicles?  I know they were trying to do every on the cheap, so paying to have black oxide would be an added expense.  Plus, black oxide wipes off and rusts pretty quickly so it is a poor coating to start with.

I have my theory but thought I would ask.  Everything I see on original seats has a patina of light rust which you would get with non-chromed civilian upholstery screws and from black oxide.

Can't wait the hear from the experts.  I do have access to a true survivor Cj3A with less than 3,000 miles on it that is in storage.  At some point, I will look for clues to this and other issues like the ground issue, on this survivor.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 31 Jan. 2017 at 9:43pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 12:57am
Hard to say for sure, I don't recall seeing any NOS ones for sale. I went with all stainless screws and finish washers, also powder coated all three seat frames. Looks real nice and will hold up forever. The originals weren't rusty on mine and didn't show the appearance of black oxide.

Edited by timcj2a - 01 Feb. 2017 at 12:59am
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2017 at 1:19am
would they be nickel plated?
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply