Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat springs
    Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 4:49am
I'm sitting here looking at a set of original seat springs for the 2a. Brutal looking things with no obvious redeaming qualities of comfort. There is an attempt at some padding with the addition of a horse hair/straw/ like material that covers the springs and then you have your vinyl or canvas.. I think typically folks are going to the foam cushion set up instead of springs..............................
My query is if there is a market out there for some "original" 2A seat springs? I think it would be possible for me to recreate these springs.
Guess I'm just floating the idea.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 5:48am
For my other rig I was gonna do foam ontop of springs. In the seat under the top there is an original 1/2" foam pad however comfort is not there. Did the 2a have something similar?
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 11:53am
Mona, at New Life Canvas offers a dense material and a precut foam pad to put ontop of orig. springs.Ive been told that orig. springs ride more comfortably than just foam padding. I'm sure ther are others producing seat covers that offer something similar.I have only had experience with New Life. Quality and fit were excellent. Sandusky
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 12:30pm
My driver's seat has springs, the passenger just foam.  The springs are much nicer.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2012 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

. . . . My query is if there is a market out there for some "original" 2A seat springs? I think it would be possible for me to recreate these springs.
Guess I'm just floating the idea.Big smile
To answer your question, yes, I would be interested in having reproduction 2A seat springs!
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2012 at 11:02am

Dave,

I've thought about doing that as well. I too prefer sitting on springs and think there are lots of people that would buy them if available.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

... My query is if there is a market out there for some "original" 2A seat springs? I think it would be possible for me to recreate these springs ...
There is a "market", how big of a market is unknown though.

A guy over on the G is doing it too:

Sean
edusua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edusua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2012 at 3:02pm
I would buy them if available
pasturegreen

cj2a SN 18366
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2012 at 8:08pm
A friend made some seats for me and she used layers of carpet pad  held together with spray adhesive.  The motorcyle guys use this because they can sculpt it with an electric knife.   I sold that jeep but remember the seats were pretty good for comfort. better than most.  maybe we could sculpt butt imprints to make them more comfortable for us jeepers.  I think they used courase sanders to help shape them also.  Do a search.

But I remember sitting in my fc seats with springs and never had a thought they were hard.  I used one layer of carpet pad on top of the springs.  It was the higher grade memory foam pad with a fiberglass backing that I thought would stand up to wear with the spring action, not the glued sponge pieces used on the cj seats.

I have two extra fc seats with springs, may have to investigate using them on the cj.

I currently have seats from tractor supply in my cj, ones designed for a skidsteer where a guy sits in them all day.   The arm rests are helpfull for holding you in and the back support is much better.  I tried putting in original seats but my wife made me go back to these.
they are not cheap but sure are nice on the back:

You can find them cheaper than at that site.

Edited by willys54wagon - 07 Aug. 2012 at 8:24pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2012 at 8:30pm
here are some seat springs.  don't know dimensions but they have others and $65 isn't a bad price?
http://macsautoparts.com/model-t-ford-seat-spring-front-passenger-side-right-cushion-c-cab-truck-tstc2/camid/MDT/cp/JS0R3CHL1095130/
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Ford GP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford GP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2012 at 5:10am
I think the potential is very great for exact reproduction seat springs, particularly for the Military Jeeps.  I believe the money is there as well.  It would be nice to see them made here shipping wise.
Brian
rodknock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodknock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2013 at 7:42pm
I listed some springs on eBay. I made them up patterned after the originals.
I think the main reason that none of the big outfits are making them is that they are very time consuming and there would be no profit in it.
If these springs do well, I may make some more.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2013 at 10:17pm
Please list a price or, if you prefer, place a link to your auction in the Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings! section.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2013 at 10:27pm
$220 seems a bit high to me, but I guess you have a lot of labor involved.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLYS-JEEP-CJ2A-CJ3A-FRT-SEAT-BOTTOM-CUSHION-SPRINGS-FIT-SEAT-PANS-PAIR-/300880231889?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460ddbfdd1&vxp=mtr
rodknock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodknock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2013 at 10:49pm
Each one takes a full day to make.
I am asking $210 each including shipping.

The auction is starting out at $220 for 2.
The eBay item number is 300880231889
Thanks for the comments!

Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2013 at 11:18pm
I think they look FANTASTIC, and you have some skills! The price is completely fair. I have some originals, and checked my pics against yours....NICE JOB!
MikeG. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeG. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 5:15pm
So sell me two for my 47 Cj2a
rodknock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodknock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 6:12pm
Hi Mike,
Thank you for the interest - I am no longer making these. I sold my CJ2a and have no reference. I Have enough material for a pair of springs that I could send you for cost - say $80 including shipping?
Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>