Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sector Shaft Bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sector Shaft Bushings
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 12:30pm
The sector shaft bushings that came with the new sector shaft kit DO NOT have an oil groove machined inside.  The vendor said he has been selling this kit for several years and has not heard about this before.  In his view, since the bushings will be partially, or completely, immersed in oil they will get adequate lubrication.

What is your experience with or viewpoint about bushings without a machined oil groove?
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 12:38pm
 Nothing like using genuine NOS OEM but otherwise a good snug /non binding fit to the sector shaft is what’s most important here.
Good 140 gear lube should seep in well enough and be sure to pre- grease your shaft upon installation.

Edited by oldtime - 20 Sep. 2021 at 12:39pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 12:47pm
In my very limited experience, I would disagree with that vendor.

My bushings came with the grooves.  If they were snug, as correctly suggested, it would be even harder for the lubricant to wick its way down the shaft and keep things lubricated.

You didn't mention the vendor, but I noticed Walck's bushings have grooves in them on his website.  I recall the defective sector shaft being "just fine, we've been selling that type for a long time," until it wasn't fine.  

I've returned things for replacements or refunds when they weren't right.  I've also had to repair things twice when I didn't.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
rodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 12:55pm
Russ,
Walck's was the vendor.  In my phone call I mentioned that their website shows bushings with grooves.  He said they haven't sold bushings with grooves for a long time. 
Rodney Frey
48 CJ2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 1:07pm
They will work fine, but you will need to drill the lubrication port after the bushing is pressed in, and before reaming it to fit the sector. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 12:37am
Pappy,  the oil hole is between the bushings. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by rodfrey rodfrey wrote:

Russ,
Walck's was the vendor.  In my phone call I mentioned that their website shows bushings with grooves.  He said they haven't sold bushings with grooves for a long time. 

Well, this shows things will keep changing......

That's where I got mine (with the grooves) - yes, the order was placed a long time ago.  BTW, I did check 2 military vendors (BMJP, RFJP), and both showed the groove on their bushings.  

If Walck's catalog image is out of date, it may be a good practice to call and verify.  I didn't order some parts because of this.

A while back, I did have to return oil filter lines because Walck's had chosen to make theirs longer and it wouldn't fit.  

As others have stated it will work, I'm sure it will.  Will it wear faster?  You may not notice and get many miles out of it.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply