Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sector shaft oil seal replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sector shaft oil seal replacement
    Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 8:17pm
Is it possible to replace the sector shaft oil seal without taking the steering box out of the vehicle? Mine is leaking from just that seal. It would be a major pain to take the box out especially with my Kubota exhaust system all so neatly welded up! The box is in great shape and the steering is really nice. I'm thinking that if I take the left fender off, remove the pitman arm, take the side cover of the ross box off and pull the sector shaft out I can replace the oil seal.
    Am I missing anything Guys???
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 8:30pm
It could probably be done the way you describe as long as your exhaust system doesn't interfere with removing the pittman arm. I have used a pittman arm pickle fork for removal successfully. Be sure to mark a registration on the pittman arm and the housing so that the arm will reinstall in the same place it came off. I have installed two seals in the housing before if they were thin enough. Some are and others aren't.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 8:34pm
I would be real hard to drive a seal in that close to the block.  You will have to unbolt it to get the cover against the frame off anyway.  It will drop out of the bottom if you get the jeep high enough.  A lift in this case would be great. 

Mine leaked after a new seal so I ended up putting in two seals the last time and that has stopped the leaks.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 8:35pm
greenlakegary,

Sounds like you have a good plan.  Fender, drain box, remove the pitman arm (always a good time), remove the sector shaft, drive out the seal with a drift.  Polish the sector shaft where the seal rides if needed.  Draw in the new seal with a section of all thread through sector shaft hole (being guarded no to mar the bushings).

I might add the grease fitting between the two bushing (that is what the photo is of - looking down from the top) to improve the life of the bushings (some will say no - but I have had great success with this modification that John Waddle came up with years ago).

Edited by Stev - 12 Dec. 2018 at 8:37pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 12:33am
Stev's got the plan!  Like the drawing in the seal with all-thread - that is working smart.

Hardest part, possibly, will be removing the pitman arm.  Last Box I took apart, out of my M38, was a real bear to remove the pitman.... and I had it out on the bench.  Ended up using heat, which I don't like to do, and that  may not be an option for you in close quarters.

Mark it, and try to knock it off with a drift while the box is held firm in the frame,  before you commit any further to your plan.  And maybe, Stev has a Plan B!
Good luck!
Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
greenlakesgary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 1:59am
Thanks Guys!
I'll order the seal[s] and give it a whirl. keep your fingers crossed that the pitman arm doesn't give me fits! I'll keep you all posted... Thanks again
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 2:33am
  I don't like to use a pickle fork to remove the pitman arm because it may damage the housing and make it difficult to remove the old seal, and even more difficult to install the new one, as well as possibly damaging the bore so that the new seal won't seal.
  I don't care for the idea of driving the arm off either, as that puts a lot of stress on the lever, the worm, and on the housing. Some of us did drive one off in the jeep by placing a piece of wood between the shaft/nut and the engine block to take the impact forces.
  Either way, up to you. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply