Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Selectro 4WD Locking Hub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selectro 4WD Locking Hub
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 7:11pm
My 48 CJ2a (221xxx) has Selectro locking hubs.  I've been looking, but can't seem to see that these were factory hubs.

Was Selectro an option, or are these replacements, etc?

Thanks.. still learning.

Edited by Hammer - 23 Nov. 2022 at 7:14pm
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 7:12pm
None of the flatfender Jeeps came stock with locking hubs as far as I know.....
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

None of the flatfender Jeeps came stock with locking hubs as far as I know.....
That would explain a lot... like all of the photos of Warn and others.

I need to find a flat-fender-bible.

Thanks for the note.
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 7:42pm
you have found the bible. it is in plain sight. 

but the answers don't come so easy. 

but they are here. right under your nose. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 7:53pm
The Owner’s Manual, Service Manual, and Parts Manual are all very good starting points. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 8:10pm
  I believe that even into the cj5 era, locking hubs were aftermarket parts installed by either the dealer at the buyer's request or by the owner after purchase. I think they started coming from the factory with hubs installed around 1972 or so. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2022 at 11:15pm
I have Warn hubs on my Jeeps, but I am to the point to where I think I would prefer to just have the stock drive flanges. 

This is due to the way I use my Jeeps, which is just around my little farm, with infrequent drives into what passes for a town out here, and trout fishing up in the mountains. I like the idea of being able to engage 4WD without having to climb out and engage the hubs. 

If I drove my Jeeps on long highway trips the hubs would make sense, but about the longest trip I will make in one will be less than 50 miles, and usually a lot less than that. 

I think at some point Warn hubs became a "factory authorized" dealer installed item on CJ5s, but I think it was purely an aftermarket add on to install them on earlier Jeeps.

Edited by Oldpappy - 24 Nov. 2022 at 3:20pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2022 at 4:13am
Jeep still doesn’t offer locking hubs and the whole driveline is live. I plan on remedying that on my jk due to $4.17 gas and 17mpg. I do like not having to get out for 4wd, but I like my money more and it’s money I can spend on my cj2a. 
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2022 at 2:18pm
My first car was a 72 Landcruiser that the PO had installed Sears branded hubs that were made by Selectro. If you are trying to go 100% original you'll be removing your selectros but if you decide to keep them aboard they are a nice add-on. 
Hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

you have found the bible. it is in plain sight. 

but the answers don't come so easy. 

but they are here. right under your nose. 

Very well said.  
Kevin
Raleigh, NC
1948 CJ2A
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I like the idea of being able to engage 4WD without having to climb out and engage the hubs. 

The Warn Lock-O-Matic makes this possible though many folks don't seem to like them and they may not look right to some folks. I like them especially when they work as they are supposed to. 
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 1:10pm
i wouldn't mind trading my nice Warn hub for a clean set of Selectros. trying to turn Warn's in the freezing cold is not a fun thing. the little slots that you have to try to get your fingers to stay on stink design wise. and it hurts. Cry

maybe Joe could make a warn hub wrench? i'd test a prototype and pay for it!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 2:34pm

i wouldn't mind trading my nice Warn hub for a clean set of Selectros. trying to turn Warn's in the freezing cold is not a fun thing. the little slots that you have to try to get your fingers to stay on stink design wise. and it hurts

These come and go over the years; Warn sold one at one point.  Someone is 3D printing them on Etsy.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/1061104383/new-4x4-hub-tool-high-vis-orange
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 3:21pm
Oh come on, everyone knows that you slick the hubs in 4WD in early October, & return to 2WD in late May. Unless the snow comes early or stays late. Then one adjusts the timing of this ritual. No cold hands for me, nor do the hubs give me any grief.

OTOH, One can just use the Willys hubs & stay in 4WD all the time. This is easier & does not hurt the rig. It also keeps the hubs lubed. My Willys gets bad fuel mileage whether the hubs are in 4WD or 2WD, so I do not see any need for locking hubs. They are just one more thing to fail on the trail. However, I do not remove locking hubs "just because" I am lazy that way. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Of course, YMMV & it is your Jeep, so do as you please. 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 6:37pm

i wouldn't mind trading my nice Warn hub for a clean set of Selectros. trying to turn Warn's in the freezing cold is not a fun thing. the little slots that you have to try to get your fingers to stay on stink design wise. and it hurts

When I lived further north I just left my hubs locked all winter. It also felt more stabile on ice with the hubs locked and the transfer case in 2WD than it did without the hubs locked. I was driving a ‘69 Bronco back then. 
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 7:06pm
waaaa. i am weak. then you mention and remind me of my 69 Bronco i should NEVER have sold. Cry

yeah i suppose i can lock them and let em roll for what i do. no extended travel. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 8:18pm

waaaa. i am weak. then you mention and remind me of my 69 Bronco i should NEVER Have sold. Cry

Tell me about it - back in the day around 1980 I had a 1970 Bronco pickup version, radio delete, 302, 4.11 gearing, uncut fenders, ZERO rust.
 Paid $1700 for it, used. Was a former county mosquito spray rig. Had about a 10 gallon fuel tank & got maybe 11 mpg... 

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2022 at 9:55pm
Mine had 302 engine and 353 gears. Run 20 MPG unless towing something. Bought for $2500 and sold it 6 years later for $2500. Thought I did good until someone told me it was worth $7,000 about a month after I let it go. No internet then. I should have kept it. I miss the three on the tree but not the vacuum wipers. 

I forgot to mention the Bronco would go anywhere I took the ‘66 CJ5 I had before it. I should have kept that too… 225, overdrive, properly mounted full cage…

Edited by Jeff J - 26 Nov. 2022 at 8:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>