Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serial number when no Data plate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serial number when no Data plate?
    Posted: 11 July 2013 at 3:07pm
I have a BTC-3 and there is no data plate on the front panel. Is there anyway I can find out what it's number should be? I want to restore it and have it registered, but I'd like to make sure it is the correct number for my trailer.

Could I just make one up if not? LOL
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 1:26pm
Jerry, there is no way to tell without data plate.  From the looks of the draw bar casting, I would say it is a later version (46 or 47).  Would really need to see more pics though. Certainly a nice find & will restore beautifully.  As for registering....You could make one up & have Robert DeRuyter (sp) make you up a new one.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
Roadcruzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadcruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 10:23pm
Hi Jerry
I have the same problem with no data plate. I was wondering if you ever had a data plate made up and if so what did you use for the number on the plate?

Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadcruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2013 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Jerry45 Jerry45 wrote:

I have a BTC-3 and there is no data plate on the front panel. Is there anyway I can find out what it's number should be? I want to restore it and have it registered, but I'd like to make sure it is the correct number for my trailer.

So Jerry,
Did you ever get a Data plate made up? 

Jerry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadcruzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2013 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Jerry45 Jerry45 wrote:

So Jerry,
Did you ever get a Data plate made up? If so, what did you do for a number?

Jerry
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 12:37am
I haven't gone through the procedure yet, I was just looking for the best way to proceed. The trailer has to be restored as there is rust in the bed and the tailgate has rusted off it's hinges, which I know is common.
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2013 at 3:47pm
     I would suggest adding a letter or two to either end of the SN to avoid confusion should someone actually be already using the made up serial number you stamp into the repro ID plate you got from overseas. An A or B might be appropriate or perhaps your initials.  You will still have a smaller SN than current Federal numbers so it shouldn't come up as anything else. I can't imagine using a serial number that is possibly on another trailer out there somewhere and having that trailer all of a sudden in the system, and trying to explain why you and he have the same exact number on your Bantams to the guys with the silver bracelets. 50 years from now a restorer will also be able to discern that the number is in fact an approximation and not etched in stone as a real number would have been.

My two cents, worth half of what ya paid. Wink
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic