Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

set driver seat back

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot rod nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: set driver seat back
    Posted: 31 July 2022 at 12:18pm
Anyone got a picture of the seat set back?
Just another day in Paradise 1948 cj2a 1956 Chevy, 39 ford
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 11:18pm
There's lots of photos here of driver's seats set back into the wheel house if that's your question; just got to search for 'em. 

I've done it as well as many others. I started a thread about seating for taller drivers but don't remember what it was titled. It's here.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 12:09am
I hear a TON of guys talk about having moved the seat back or needed to etc etc. I'm 6' tall, on my 4th flattie and haven't had the thought that I need to move the seat back. What the heck am I doing wrong? hahahaha
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 8:16am
Drink more beer! Lol I don’t think it’s the heigh as much as the girth that bothers them. Nothing like the black belly stripe from the steering wheel.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 9:58am
I think the easy way to search is search from Google, then find topics on the CJ2A page. I modified the seat frame to move it down and as far rearward as possible so the seat touches the wheel well. Plenty of room.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
ACRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 12:50am
Originally posted by willyt willyt wrote:

Drink more beer! Lol I don’t think it’s the heigh as much as the girth that bothers them. Nothing like the black belly stripe from the steering wheel.

Ok, this actually made It click. I’ve ran a minimum of 10 miles a day since I enlisted, now I’m retired, run less but I run and I don’t drink. So 6’ 176lbs doesn’t need to move the seat back. Got it. Hahahahaha sorry sorry sorry
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2022 at 6:46am
Here's pics of my driver's seat moved back, and the area where it encroaches on the wheel well
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
BradR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 9:16am
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2022 at 10:34am
A seat frame from a CJ3A or a M38 (not a M38A1) has a longer leg on the left side which allowed it to be moved back about 3" if the wheel house is notched. Or the leg of a CJ2A seat frame can be lengthened as BD1 has done. QTM did have a pile of NOS M38 driver seat frames which is what I put in my CJ2A to replace the badly rusted and broken original. I am over 6 feet tall and big around the middle, but even though I have that M38 seat I did not notch the wheel house and move the seat back. I found that using the longer steering column from a later Jeep gave me all the room I need.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply