Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SGI Body Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SGI Body Review
    Posted: 21 Oct. 2021 at 4:11pm
It has been exactly one year since I started this process of restoring a family heirloom. Thank you to everyone on this site who has helped me answering the stupid questions, as well as the ones that were complex and difficult.

I ordered this body through Pete Debella, and he has been amazingly helpful throughout the process.  India was hit hard by the pandemic and was shut down for several months, so it to much longer to get this body than normal.  But SGI was great to deal with.  I connected with them on Facebook and they sent me progress reports every few weeks.  Once the body was ready to go they sent me pictures of it being crated, then a video of it being loaded on the crate.

First impressions:
  • The body came is a metal frame crate similar to what I have seen for MD Juan bodies.  It was secure and undamaged.
  • I ordered this without primer because I wanted to use an epoxy primer and had no idea what would come on it from SGI.  I also knew that working it to fit would likely scratch the primer anyway.  So far this was a great choice.
  • I did not receive the windshield adjusting arm assembly, but that is ok.  My original ones are probably better.
  • The kit also did not include the cast hinges for the tailgate.  But again, my originals are fine, and have the body serial number cast in them.
  • The gauge of the metal is substantial.  Side-by-side comparisons of my original hood, fenders, and windshield are very close is weight and sturdiness, and the dimensions are nearly identical.  Also, the rigidity is very good.  They feel very authentic.
Fit:
  • Here is the great part.  I am very impressed by the overall quality and fit of all of these parts.  I dropped this tub on my frame and every single hole lined up perfectly.  The same is true for the fenders.  I am using my original hood and grill, and they lined up perfectly as well.
  • The hood bolted right in and aligned perfectly.  The grill (also original) needed some massaging to get it in place, but that was more because it was bent in a few spots, and needed correction.  Once straightened, it went in like a glove.
  • The only area I have to manipulate, and Pete warned me about this, was the fit between the fender and the side step.  The angle of the step is more vertical and will have to be matched the the angle of the fender.
Overall Quality:
  • The spot welds and welded areas are very obvious without primer, but easily managed by basic bodywork. (MV Specialties in Redwing has the body now and he agreed that it was great quality. He said they got "a little excited" with their grinders in a couple areas, but no big deal)
  • There are no visible waves or dents, and the symmetry from front to back and left to right is very good.
  • All of the holes appear to be where expected an consistent with a CJ2A.  Now, my original tub had A LOT more holes in it for various reasons (someone added a passenger heater, dash starter button, etc.), so it has what I need and is a refreshing sight.
I will let the pictures speak for themselves:

Where it started - I am not including all of the pictures, but the floor boards were pretty much gone, sides filled with bondo, and every mounting point except 2 were completely separated from he frame.

The new body

Edited by jgodfrey - 21 Oct. 2021 at 4:18pm
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2021 at 8:04pm
Does it have the script "jeep" stamped in front of the tool box?
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2021 at 8:13pm
The one Brian unpacked on Youtube did.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 7:09am
Looks very nice πŸ‘πŸ½ You chose the best to paint it as well, Gary & Paul are absolute experts on painting jeeps and very nice people as well πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
β€œIf you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 7:45am
Always a good feeling to get this close to completion, I am sure you are getting excited. 

The body looks very good, and your report on accuracy and fit is along the same line as what I read about the MB / GPW bodies which were available in Europe before Peter got the US deal.

I think you will end up with a very nice Jeep.

Looking at the pictures of your old body I am wondering where the squirrels will shelter this winter.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:02pm
What in the world is the tub filled with in your before shots?
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Qcanuck Qcanuck wrote:

Does it have the script "jeep" stamped in front of the tool box?

It does.  My body was in the same shipment as Brian's.  I saw his video and commented on it.
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Always a good feeling to get this close to completion, I am sure you are getting excited. 

The body looks very good, and your report on accuracy and fit is along the same line as what I read about the MB / GPW bodies which were available in Europe before Peter got the US deal.

I think you will end up with a very nice Jeep.

Looking at the pictures of your old body I am wondering where the squirrels will shelter this winter.

They were mad.  Every time I open that back garage door they scream at me.
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Downs Downs wrote:

What in the world is the tub filled with in your before shots?

Walnuts.  Thousands of them.  Everywhere.

There was a nest on the front passenger fender and under the driver's seat - behind the gas tank.  Also, the bell housing access plate was missing a screw, so there was one in there too.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2021 at 7:20am
Thanks for posting the progress with your SGI body. 
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2021 at 1:19pm
This is an excellent update - thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures p and I'm pretty excited about seeing the progress.
I can relate to the walnuts.  My GPW was inhabited by nasty yellowjacketed p'd off bees. 
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2021 at 6:25am
After years of MD Juan and all the problems, wasted money, and pure misery, this is a breath of fresh air. Thanks for posting the pictures. Being told that's all there is, you have to make do, it looks like there is a light for those that have rust beyond repair, not to mention the huge work required to cut and fit various companies repair panels. When you look at paying a quality repair shop or restoration shop to do repair versus buying this new companies body, I think it's a easy decision. Very nice. Thumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2022 at 1:16pm
What is the price difference between SGI and MD Juan? 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply