Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

She runs a lil rough

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: She runs a lil rough
    Posted: 12 July 2020 at 2:40am
This CJ has not really been run in six years. But, it seemed to run better before I started the complete redo.
Here is what has changed.
The original carb was a carter (I still have it if you think I need to send it off for rebuild.) I purchased a new Solex carb. 
I have checked for vacuum leaks. I will check again tomorrow. I have the mixture set at 1.5 out from finger tight in. It doesn't idle well, but that could be a linkage problem.

What is weird -
I finally got the thing to a shop to at least get the wiring and some other minor stuff done. They wanted to see it run, we they tried, I went over and tried. We had spark, we had fuel, we had everything right.
But- it ran six years ago and I never made any changes to the engine other than plug wires, new carb, plugs, points, etc.
I could not get the thing running. Keep in mind the thing has been in several shops before I just gave up and brought it home. I needed to get this thing finished and Mr. Next Week was just not cutting it. And, they really didn't know what they were doing and didn't take the time to get some help. Rant Over.

Since there was a mechanic shop next to where I was having the work done, I had a guy come over to see if he could get it running. He fiddled around with it and said the timing was off by 180 degrees I never changed the distributor or even touched the distributor because it was working. So, he put the wires in for a 180 degree off distributor and it runs. Just not super well.

It seems to not make full power, it kinds loses steam after half throttle. I thought their might be some back pressure coming back up the carb, but I cannot confirm this yet.

So, the above being said. Where do I start? Like I said it runs. Maybe it just needs to be run for awhile. I haven't taken it off the jack stands for a ride yet.

Thanks!
~P.

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 4:50am
I don’t know how the wires would have gotten off but from your symptoms it sounds like they are still off. The Solex carb is usually the main suspect in any running issues but it sounds like it was running well with it before. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
pplaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 2:02pm
TateC - the Solex is a replacement. I do have the Carter. I can send it off for rebuild.
I think the Solex is part of the problem too.
~P.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 3:29pm
The Solex needs a fuel pressure regulator installed before it, or the engine can flood or run too rich.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 2:20pm
I don't know anything about the Solex carburators because I haven't tried one. I just rebuild the Carter WO, which is a very simple carburator, and usually a good cleaning and a kit to freshen it up will put it back in service. An old dried up accelerator pump will give a lot of trouble.

"But- it ran six years ago and I never made any changes to the engine other than plug wires, new carb, plugs, points, etc."

That is a significant amount of changes between when it ran good six years ago, and now.

You have already found that the timing was off 180 degrees, which is a common mistake when replacing plug wires. The 47 CJ2A I have sat for 10 years because the PO had changed the distributor and done that. He couldn't figure it out, so let it sit for a decade.

I would still suspect timing as an issue, and suggest you make sure of that before starting to swap out other components. 

One thing that confuses some people is the distributor rotates counter clockwise. You need to get number one cylinder at Top Dead Center (TDC) on compression stroke, then adjust the distributor to align with that, then make sure the other three are in correct firing order (counter clockwise). Get it running with a timing light and adjust it before assuming it is a fuel issue.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
pplaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 2:39pm
Old Pappy- this is really good advice!
I have put off a timing light but, it seems like I can do this no more. :)
There have been way to many people working on this thing over the past 6 years and none of them appeared to know what they were doing. If you don't know what you are doing, then you need to ask for help. :) Which is why I brought it back home. 
Yestereday, Willena (that's her name) made it from my shop to her garage slot. The first time she has budged under her own power in six years! She limped, but she made it. :)
~P.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 3:09pm
I hate the timing mark being on the flywheel, but that is the way they came. It can be difficult to see but with a little contortion it can be done.

Since it is running it isn't likely to be too far off. 

You may be able to get it right by ear. If it will idle you may be able to smooth it up by adjusting the distributor, with very little movement at a time, to advance or retard timing until it smoothes up and doesn't backfire.  

pplaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 3:11pm
The crux of the problem is the distributor is frozen... :O

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 9:10pm
Apply penetrating oil daily. I like "Kroil" the best, but the PB Blaster seems to be popular. Loosen the retainer and try to move the distributor with a rubber strap wrench being careful not to wrench on the oil port. It may take a few days, and a lot of wrenching but usually will come loose.
pplaut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 9:41pm
OLd Papy - thanks again. I love me some PB Blaster. 
I will start sprayin. I'm not in a great hurry anymore. I got the transmission back togeher and it runs and shifts. 4x4 works. Nothing could be more difficult than an old guy wrestling a transfer case up into a CJ-2A. :)

Post Reply Post Reply